PDA

View Full Version : Lathe VFD Setup

James Conrad
04-18-2015, 4:46 PM
I'm trying to help a friend convert his 3 phase lathe using a VFD. I know there was a detailed thread on here about this and I just can't find what I'm looking for. He wants to add a speed controler and perpahs a motor break. Thanks for the help.

Ken Andersen
04-18-2015, 7:27 PM
Search for "vfd lathe upgrade" on this forum and you'll turn up several threads.

Bob Mezzatesta
04-19-2015, 3:58 PM
I'm trying to help a friend convert his 3 phase lathe using a VFD. I know there was a detailed thread on here about this and I just can't find what I'm looking for. He wants to add a speed controler and perpahs a motor break. Thanks for the help.
I converted mine and it was a breeze. External start and stop are just small switches. External speed control is usually a 10k potentiometer. I would avoid using motor braking on a wood lathe because a bowl blank will have enough momentum to cause it to unthread a chuck causing it to dismount. Essentially the lathe stops faster than the blank. There are several threads on YouTube that are helpful and pretty good documentation comes with many VFDs. Lots of stuff on owwm.org etc.

James Conrad
04-19-2015, 5:37 PM
Thanks guys, I was trying to gather some references for him, still didn't find the exact post I was looking for, but I think I've got it now. Agreed on the motor break.

john taliaferro
04-20-2015, 9:13 AM
I use the brake ,its set for 20 sec de cell and 20 sec acceleration . The acc has saved the day more than once when i forgot to turn the speed down . I turn large items that will spin for 3 or 4 min when powered off with out brake . Reverse is sweet to when sanding ,and finishing .

Dwight Rutherford
04-20-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm a little confused regarding the suggestion not to use "braking". Every lathe I have used has had a "brake " feature in that when the lathe is turned off, the motor decelerates and slows down as opposed to disengaging and allowing the lathe to free wheel. This is not the same as reversing.
What am I missing?

James Conrad
04-20-2015, 3:28 PM
I believe he was warning against a rapid breaking action which I would be more concerned about damaging the motor with a large blank.