PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a used Epliog Mini 18x12 30 watt

Lisa Walter
04-18-2015, 12:17 AM
I used to have an Epilog Laser business. I closed it when I went through my divorce. It's been 4-5 years now. My new husband is pushing me to get back into it. I know of a local guy who has an Epilog Mini 18x12 30 watt. He bought it new and it's about 5-6 years old. He hasn't used it much. He has an embroidery and screen printing business and used the laser for small items like trophy name tags. I asked him today if he would sell it. He said absolutely because he never uses it and if I would do the small things for him when he needed stuff done that would work out great. He told me to make him an offer. I have no idea what to offer. 30 watt is plenty for what I want to do. It will help me earn some money to get a bigger laser in the future and use this one on the side. I saw some posts earlier that people think the stronger the laser the better. I did some amazing things with my laser. I want to say it was a 35 watt but burned more like 38. Anyone have any ideas of what I should offer? I don't want to offer too much but I don't want to low ball the guy either. Thanks in advance.

Lisa Walter (formerly Burger if anyone remembers me)

Mike Null
04-18-2015, 7:08 AM
If it's in operating condition my offer would be under $5000. Given the age, power and table size plus the unknowns I'd probably begin at well under $5000.

Ross Moshinsky
04-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Add up the cost of a "new" tube, new lens, new mirror(s), new bearings/rails/belts, and "new" controller board. Multiply it by .85. Now take that number and subtract it from the realistic cost of a new laser straight from Epilog. That's your target price.

Those are all very realistic parts that will likely need to be replaced within 18 months.

Lisa Walter
04-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Add up the cost of a "new" tube, new lens, new mirror(s), new bearings/rails/belts, and "new" controller board. Multiply it by .85. Now take that number and subtract it from the realistic cost of a new laser straight from Epilog. That's your target price.

Those are all very realistic parts that will likely need to be replaced within 18 months.

I had my laser over that length of time and never had to replace any of that. In fact when I sold it the guy contacted me several times to thank me for the condition it was in, since he had bought it sight unseen. He has barely used the laser in 5-6 years and you really think all of that needs to be replaced? I will take a better look at things when I make him the offer but if he has barely used it I can't see worrying about most of that stuff, but I do appreciate your reply and will keep those things in mind.

Lisa Walter
04-18-2015, 10:54 AM
If it's in operating condition my offer would be under $5000. Given the age, power and table size plus the unknowns I'd probably begin at well under $5000.

I emailed Epilog to get their opinion. Last night I did some research using Google to try and get a feel for what it might go for. A similar one sold on ebay for $5,000 on the 16th (it was a 35 watt). I also saw some Chinese lasers (water cooled) for around $2300. In fact most water cooled were going for much less than not water cooled. Is that something I'd want to stay away from? Ive been reading posts here and it seems like many people have trouble with bacteria in the tubes and are adding stuff to the water in the tube to keep algae from growing. I have no clue what water cooled lasers are or if I should keep looking. Thank you for the feedback.

Ross Moshinsky
04-18-2015, 11:30 AM
I had my laser over that length of time and never had to replace any of that. In fact when I sold it the guy contacted me several times to thank me for the condition it was in, since he had bought it sight unseen. He has barely used the laser in 5-6 years and you really think all of that needs to be replaced? I will take a better look at things when I make him the offer but if he has barely used it I can't see worrying about most of that stuff, but I do appreciate your reply and will keep those things in mind.

Why do you believe him? Who said when he used it, he used it properly? Maybe he's never cleaned the lens. Maybe he cut PVC. Maybe it has a faulty tube. Maybe the controller board fails. You're buying a laser right at the time when everything starts to fail. It's a bad idea not to factor that in.

I speak from experience when I say these things. I'm also confident if you add up the price of a "new tube", lens/mirror, bearings/belts, and new controller board you'll come up with about $3000 and those lasers retail for about $8-9000. So what you're finding is the used market price happens to be pretty close to the number I'm suggesting.

Lisa Walter
04-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Why do you believe him? Who said when he used it, he used it properly? Maybe he's never cleaned the lens. Maybe he cut PVC. Maybe it has a faulty tube. Maybe the controller board fails. You're buying a laser right at the time when everything starts to fail. It's a bad idea not to factor that in.

I speak from experience when I say these things. I'm also confident if you add up the price of a "new tube", lens/mirror, bearings/belts, and new controller board you'll come up with about $3000 and those lasers retail for about $8-9000. So what you're finding is the used market price happens to be pretty close to the number I'm suggesting.

I believe him because I have stopped in to visit with him over the last 4 years. That's not saying he might not be lying but I have never seen him use the laser and he has shown it to me a few times. I still need to check it over of course, but he has been in the same location for a long time and has quite a client base. You don't get that kind of respect by being a liar. Plus I can see what he sells in his shop. There really isn't anything for sale that he would use the laser for. Thank you for your advice.

Jeanette Brewer
04-18-2015, 3:21 PM
Lisa,

I saw some posts earlier that people think the stronger the laser the better.

Having sold Epilog Lasers for over 20 years, I can tell you that I've never had a customer wish they had bought a smaller table (with one exception when our Fusion40 wouldn't fit through the customer's door) or lower wattage system.

[Disclaimer: We sell lasers but can't sell into Pennsylvania so I'm not trying to upsell you; just passing along my observation to your comment quoted above.]

In my opinion, you've received excellent advice. You may be right -- he may have taken very good care of his laser and you may not have to replace those parts listed BUT (IMHO) you should plan to replace them.

"Barely used"? Make sure he doesn't mean that it's been sitting idle for months/years. If that's the case (in our experience), it's the worst thing you can do with the tube. It, most likely, WILL need to be replaced in that case.

You can blame us ;) if he's offended by your "low-ball" offer.

Have you checked with your local distributor to talk the "pros & cons" of used vs. new? OR have you checked with him to see if he has a comparable used laser that might come with some warranty?

Dan Hintz
04-18-2015, 3:59 PM

I'm with Mike on the pricing... to me, it's about a $3.5k-4k(ish) system. When you consider a brand new system of that size can be had for around the $8k mark, the age is a major factor (low usage or not). Rubber does not age well and will stiffen. Tube RF sections will degrade over time due to the capacitors getting old. You do not get a no-questions-asked warranty with a private sale, either.

Ron Gosnell
04-18-2015, 4:36 PM
What you could do now is send the current owner the link to this thread.
It may help with your negotiations without offending him.
He may understand what everyone here is trying to tell you.
I understand that negotiations can be tough on both parties emotionally.
3rd party suggestions may help ease the stress.

Gozzie

Lisa Walter
04-18-2015, 5:09 PM
Lisa,

Having sold Epilog Lasers for over 20 years, I can tell you that I've never had a customer wish they had bought a smaller table (with one exception when our Fusion40 wouldn't fit through the customer's door) or lower wattage system.

[Disclaimer: We sell lasers but can't sell into Pennsylvania so I'm not trying to upsell you; just passing along my observation to your comment quoted above.]

In my opinion, you've received excellent advice. You may be right -- he may have taken very good care of his laser and you may not have to replace those parts listed BUT (IMHO) you should plan to replace them.

"Barely used"? Make sure he doesn't mean that it's been sitting idle for months/years. If that's the case (in our experience), it's the worst thing you can do with the tube. It, most likely, WILL need to be replaced in that case.

You can blame us ;) if he's offended by your "low-ball" offer.

Have you checked with your local distributor to talk the "pros & cons" of used vs. new? OR have you checked with him to see if he has a comparable used laser that might come with some warranty?

Thank you for your reply. I had a bigger bed at one time and a slightly stronger machine. For what I plan on doing right now, 30 watt would be fine and this bed size will be ok. I never wished I had a stronger machine for what I was doing. I did a lot of glass, wood, and granite/marble with photos. I shipped stuff all over the US. My bed size was nice, but right now I don't want to go and spend $25,000 on a new setup. My plans were to start smaller and concentrate on the money makers I did before, then use profits to go bigger. I bought brand new before and my local Epilog seller was out of NY (I'm not sure if the salesman was from NY but the store was in CT.....it's been awhile). I was not impressed with the "training" I got and spent many sleepless nights teaching myself and relying on friends I made here. I do have an email in to the closest Epilog to me and hopefully can talk to them Monday. I really don't want to buy brand new yet, but if they say I might be better off I might wind up doing that. I will have to ask the seller if his machine has sat idle for longer than a few months because it sounds like he barely uses it at all. He has been pretty straight forward and I'm sure if I tell him the feedback he will be great about it. Thank u again.

Bill George
04-18-2015, 5:33 PM
I went looking for anther laser and looked for about a year. I could find nothing below the $10-12000 mark. End up with a rebuilt ULS 50 watt, in excellent condition. I doubt if you could buy a Epilog used with a known history and buyer, right down the street from you for $4,000, but you never know. Have him demo the machine for you showing Engraving and Vector cutting. Then call Epilog Monday and get a new price.

Tim Bateson
04-18-2015, 5:43 PM
I think you got all of the advice you need for your original question. Just wanted to say welcome back Lisa.

Lisa Walter
04-18-2015, 6:42 PM
I went looking for anther laser and looked for about a year. I could find nothing below the $10-12000 mark. End up with a rebuilt ULS 50 watt, in excellent condition. I doubt if you could buy a Epilog used with a known history and buyer, right down the street from you for $4,000, but you never know. Have him demo the machine for you showing Engraving and Vector cutting. Then call Epilog Monday and get a new price.

He's not open again until Monday but I figured I'd talk to Epilog and see what they say, then pay this gentleman a visit and have him use the laser, then do an inspection of the mirrors and over all health of the machine. The only thing is, as far as I know there are no visible signs of something being wrong with the tube. Thank you for your reply.

Does anyone here use the water cooled lasers and if so, what do you think of them? I am curious why they are so much cheaper than other kinds.

Bill George
04-18-2015, 6:52 PM
He's not open again until Monday but I figured I'd talk to Epilog and see what they say, then pay this gentleman a visit and have him use the laser, then do an inspection of the mirrors and over all health of the machine. The only thing is, as far as I know there are no visible signs of something being wrong with the tube. Thank you for your reply.

Does anyone here use the water cooled lasers and if so, what do you think of them? I am curious why they are so much cheaper than other kinds.

You would be better off with either a new or like new used USA made laser. Wait until Monday and get a new price and go from there. When I was looking seems all the used ones are on either coast, never any in the Midwest.

Bert Kemp
04-18-2015, 8:22 PM
Lots of us here use water cooled tubes and I for one have no problems , Lots of reasons their cheaper, their imports for one, the tubes are cheaper to make and they cost a lot less. they don't last as long but for the price to replace them they are ok. You can get a much bigger machine and lots more power for less money because of this and because they don't have all the bells and whistles of the big 3, but there perfectly good lasers and will do the same thing as the others lasers they cut and they engrave. Sure theres a learning curve but sounds like you know the basic so you won't have a problem. I would recommend you have a look at Rabbit Laser USA Or Boss laser, or Automation Technology. There all USA based companies that sell imported lasers with USA support. I have a Rabbit and am very happy so far and the support is excellent to date. Not that I needed a lot of support but I did have a few questions and found that it was mostly my errors LOL

Lisa Walter
04-18-2015, 8:57 PM
Lots of us here use water cooled tubes and I for one have no problems , Lots of reasons their cheaper, their imports for one, the tubes are cheaper to make and they cost a lot less. they don't last as long but for the price to replace them they are ok. You can get a much bigger machine and lots more power for less money because of this and because they don't have all the bells and whistles of the big 3, but there perfectly good lasers and will do the same thing as the others lasers they cut and they engrave. Sure theres a learning curve but sounds like you know the basic so you won't have a problem. I would recommend you have a look at Rabbit Laser USA Or Boss laser, or Automation Technology. There all USA based companies that sell imported lasers with USA support. I have a Rabbit and am very happy so far and the support is excellent to date. Not that I needed a lot of support but I did have a few questions and found that it was mostly my errors LOL

Do those lasers run off of Corel Draw also? Thank you for the informative post!

Lisa

Bert Kemp
04-18-2015, 9:43 PM
well sort of I do all my design in corel then I just import to lasercut put in my setting and hit start no big deal.

Lisa

Bill George
04-18-2015, 10:36 PM

Lisa

Lisa for the Chinese lasers you can design in Corel or other software as long as you can Export the file into the laser machine software. Not that big a deal over using Epilog or ULS print driver method. I have both types. There is a lot of support for Corel on here as you know.

Dave Sheldrake
04-19-2015, 7:37 AM
I would highly suggest staying away from water cooled Chinese lasers Lisa, no matter where they retail from (Imports or US)

DC lasers require a LOT of thought before jumping and coupled with the fact you weren't aware of the differences between them would make one a bad choice in your own circumstances.

Matt McCoy
04-20-2015, 10:39 AM
I would highly suggest staying away from water cooled Chinese lasers Lisa, no matter where they retail from (Imports or US)

DC lasers require a LOT of thought before jumping and coupled with the fact you weren't aware of the differences between them would make one a bad choice in your own circumstances.

Hi Lisa: Sounds like you have a good line on a machine and one that might include the prospect for a few jobs. If you can agree on a fair price and the machine will be used mostly for engraving, it might be a good way to go, especially if you are already familiar with its software and workflow. Of course, this will depend on the type of work you want to do. However, I will offer that for around the price you are considering, you might be able to buy a larger Chinese machine with a little more power to afford the potential for faster engraving and larger pieces. Not to mention the ability to cut thicker materials. As advised by the knowledgeable folks here, you will probably want to consider the cost of replacing the consumables as well as parts that can konk out, like a power supply -- which I didn't see mentioned. Also, parts from western lasers are typically proprietary and quite spendy without a warranty, which might nullify the the prospect of a good deal if parts need replaced.

As Dave mentions, much thought is a good idea if you want to go with a Chinese (DC) laser. But, it appears to me that you are doing just that. I'm a little more positive and will opine that even if you were are not aware of the differences between the two, it is pretty easy to remedy that. If you're a little handy and can troubleshoot, you have a lot more options available to you.

Good luck with your decision.

Lisa Walter
04-21-2015, 1:04 AM
Hi Lisa: Sounds like you have a good line on a machine and one that might include the prospect for a few jobs. If you can agree on a fair price and the machine will be used mostly for engraving, it might be a good way to go, especially if you are already familiar with its software and workflow. Of course, this will depend on the type of work you want to do. However, I will offer that for around the price you are considering, you might be able to buy a larger Chinese machine with a little more power to afford the potential for faster engraving and larger pieces. Not to mention the ability to cut thicker materials. As advised by the knowledgeable folks here, you will probably want to consider the cost of replacing the consumables as well as parts that can konk out, like a power supply -- which I didn't see mentioned. Also, parts from western lasers are typically proprietary and quite spendy without a warranty, which might nullify the the prospect of a good deal if parts need replaced.

As Dave mentions, much thought is a good idea if you want to go with a Chinese (DC) laser. But, it appears to me that you are doing just that. I'm a little more positive and will opine that even if you were are not aware of the differences between the two, it is pretty easy to remedy that. If you're a little handy and can troubleshoot, you have a lot more options available to you.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you Matt! I am still waiting to hear back from Epilog. This afternoon I put a call in to a "local" salesman (closest to me) and no call back. I'll try again tomorrow. Besides advice on a used one, I also want to hear what is the latest and greatest since I bought mine a few years ago.

Lisa

Keith Colson
04-21-2015, 2:36 AM
Hi Lisa

My laser was a bargain because I managed to get all the extraction system and ducting, an air dryer (3k worth) and a huge pile of sheets of "stuff" and a PC with Corel already loaded. This was lots of dollars saved. The laser was almost free if I just purchased all the stuff attached to it. You should see what else you can get thrown in.

Cheers
Keith

rich shepard
04-22-2015, 1:46 AM
A new Mini 18 30 watt runs 10500 right now. I have had a 35 watt for 10 years now and it still is running great. Have only changed the encoder strip, tube and think one servo motor in that time, and I use it. I don't count encoder strips as they are 12 bucks and keep a spare in stock. Lens and Mirrors were under 300 if I remember right and just replaced the vector grid at 108. Hope to order a new 40 watt later this week and run them both as needed. Not sure what a used one would bring but do know the last one epilog had for sale lased under a hour on their web site.
rich

Dan Hintz
04-22-2015, 6:54 AM
A new Mini 18 30 watt runs 10500 right now.

Is this list price? My watermark for small machines is usually the 30W ULS mini, which generally lists for <$8k... after discounts and such, there's a lot of money to be saved.