PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Need Good Paint Stripper...

Derek Arita
08-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm in the process of rehabbing my 50's windows and I am looking for a good paint stripper. Somewhere, I saw something on a stipper that works quickly, but is not toxic or harmful to the touch on cleanup with water. It may even be an orange based product. Anyone know this stuff?

Larry Reimer
08-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Derek, I have never had good experience with paint stripper. If it's non-toxic it usually doesn't work that well. Having said that: try "Peel Away" (Sherwin Williams is one place that sells it). It's a product that you apply to the surface and then cover it with their film to keep it from drying out while working. It doesn't emit toxic fumes but you don't want to get it on you.

I have found a local furniture repair shop with a stripper tank who will strip items for a very reasonable fee. I make every effort to take stuff to them. Much easier for me, they've got all the proper ventilation and safety gear to do the stripping. If that were my project I would look seriously at removing the painted parts, taking them to the place and have them do it.

Howard Acheson
08-07-2005, 12:05 PM
As said, the "safer" the stripper, the less well it works. Add to that that there is no "safe" stripper.

The best way to deal with it IMO, is to use a stripper that will do the most complete and fastest job. Pay attention to the cautions on the label and use gloves and set up fans to keep fresh air available.

The fastest strippers are those that contain the most Methylene Chloride. Look for ZipStrip, Savogram Super Strip or BIX.

I meant to add, that paint from the 50's generally contained lead. Removing lead based paint with a chemical stripper is not a problem but if you sand afterwards, be sure and test the surface for any residual lead. You can get a lead test kit in most paint stores. If you have lead remaining, be sure you use good respirator and keep others out of the area until the dust is eliminated.

Ellen Benkin
08-07-2005, 1:58 PM
Can you remove the windows from the house? If so, look for a commercial stripping place that will dip the windows and get most of the paint off. It's worth the price. If the windows have to stay in place, I guess it's time to get a good set of "stripper proof" gloves and a scraper. All strippers require a lot of work, but patience in letting them set up and work will pay off.