PDA

View Full Version : Pulling logs on the cheap

Charles Wiggins
04-17-2015, 12:59 PM
I have an opportunity to get A LOT of firewood from a recent blow-down at no cost, except labor, gasoline, etc. One problem is that most of the trees are a good distance from the road, I do not have 4WD, a 4-wheeler, etc., and I do not need a towing bill from getting my 2WD truck stuck down in the woods 100 yards off the road. We went to get a maple that was only about 50 feet from the road, and, sparing you the details, it was a back-breaker of a day moving rounds out to the truck.

I recently saw Wranglerstar's video about the chainsaw winch (https://youtu.be/B10Io7MLp1Y) that he was given, and thought it would be much more efficient to drag the logs out to the truck and finish sizing them there. A truck mount winch wouldn't reach all the places I'd need to go, so I started researching devices such as the Lewis Winch (http://www.lewiswinch.com/The_Lewis_Winch.html) and the Portable Winch (http://www.portablewinch.com/en/category/portable-winches.html) and everything costs way more than I have to put into it.

So, I started thinking about hand-crank winches. I've looked online at models from Dutton-Lainson & Fuller (http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Winches-sf-Standard_Hand_Winch-sz-3200_lbs.aspx) that seem pretty reasonable, like I could get started with under $300. Maybe later I could retrofit an old chainsaw or lawnmower engine to power it.

Has anyone ever done this? Any recommendations? Warnings? Frustrations? What's a reasonable winch weight rating range to be looking at?

TIA
Charles

Larry Edgerton
04-17-2015, 1:22 PM
Rent a decent size tractor with forks for a day when you have them all ready and get them to the road, and loaded, with the tractor. About the cost of a winch and a whole lot easier. This is how I move my logs to the house.

Charles Wiggins
04-17-2015, 2:24 PM
Larry,

That's a great idea, but I prefer to look for solutions that I can continue to use. Renting a tractor would lead me into a whole 'nother are of costs like trailer and trailer hitches. Plus, where the trees are located, there's nothing to keep someone from coming along and "poaching" the logs after I get them all cut, so I only take what I can cut in a day.

Scott Shepherd
04-17-2015, 2:34 PM
Can't locate a friend with a 4 wheel drive that might want to split the logs with you? You use his truck in turn he gets some logs that you help him with?

roger wiegand
04-17-2015, 3:22 PM
You'll make a heck of a lot less mess of the woods if you hire someone with a couple of draft horses to pull them out vs getting in there with trucks and tractors.

Mike Lassiter
04-17-2015, 4:04 PM
I have an opportunity to get A LOT of firewood from a recent blow-down at no cost, except labor, gasoline, etc. One problem is that most of the trees are a good distance from the road, I do not have 4WD, a 4-wheeler, etc., and I do not need a towing bill from getting my 2WD truck stuck down in the woods 100 yards off the road. We went to get a maple that was only about 50 feet from the road, and, sparing you the details, it was a back-breaker of a day moving rounds out to the truck.

I recently saw Wranglerstar's video about the chainsaw winch (https://youtu.be/B10Io7MLp1Y) that he was given, and thought it would be much more efficient to drag the logs out to the truck and finish sizing them there. A truck mount winch wouldn't reach all the places I'd need to go, so I started researching devices such as the Lewis Winch (http://www.lewiswinch.com/The_Lewis_Winch.html) and the Portable Winch (http://www.portablewinch.com/en/category/portable-winches.html) and everything costs way more than I have to put into it.

So, I started thinking about hand-crank winches. I've looked online at models from Dutton-Lainson & Fuller (http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Winches-sf-Standard_Hand_Winch-sz-3200_lbs.aspx) that seem pretty reasonable, like I could get started with under $300. Maybe later I could retrofit an old chainsaw or lawnmower engine to power it.

Has anyone ever done this? Any recommendations? Warnings? Frustrations? What's a reasonable winch weight rating range to be looking at?

TIA
Charles

Charles I heated with wood for many years and had sort of the same problem. Worse actually, I didn't have a truck at all myself. My father in-law also heated with wood and we cut together years back. later I got a truck myself, but had no place to cut. So I was always trying to get wood wherever I could. Living in the country there was always some logging being done that provided SOME access to the tops I could cut. I have had to carry wood by the arm load (as I suspect you did) from where it was cut to the truck. LOTS of walking and toting. Younger then, but still sore afterwards, but as it was "free" I had to get it when I could.

I think if you are talking about trying to use something like a boat winch to pull logs to your truck, you are going to be WORE OUT from cranking that handle. Not to mention, the time it is going to take for the distance covered. My understanding is you are thinking about winching logs to your truck or at least a lot closer before cutting them up into firewood, so you aren't having to carry everything so far. I don't think you will get much done if they are 50 foot or more away because you are going to spent so much time pulling the cable out, hooking up chains, or straps then winching the length of the cable and having to pull it all back out again and hookup shorter to pull again. That's going to be a lot of time and work.

Jerry Bruette
04-17-2015, 4:28 PM
I think if you are talking about trying to use something like a boat winch to pull logs to your truck, you are going to be WORE OUT from cranking that handle. Not to mention, the time it is going to take for the distance covered. My understanding is you are thinking about winching logs to your truck or at least a lot closer before cutting them up into firewood, so you aren't having to carry everything so far. I don't think you will get much done if they are 50 foot or more away because you are going to spent so much time pulling the cable out, hooking up chains, or straps then winching the length of the cable and having to pull it all back out again and hookup shorter to pull again. That's going to be a lot of time and work.

All this plus the fact that your logs will probably be full of sand and other dirt which is pretty hard on your saw chain. If I was dragging logs out I'd wait until winter when there's a nice layer of snow to drag them on. they drag easier and don't get full of dirt.

Brian W Smith
04-17-2015, 4:28 PM
I sort of understand your problem,as we've heated with wood for 30+ years....here.Have basically heated with wood all my life,growing up.

The best wood getter we ever had was an "early",man trans,Toyota 4 runner.When they still had vinyl interiors and straight fr axles.Nuthin like snaggin logs in style.Today,I'd grab an older(cheap) Jeep Cherokee,straight six,man trans.In certain mrks they're practically free.....man trans.....emission codes...etc.You just can't be looking anywhere 4-wheelers are present.Tractors are great but represent logistic problems if the wood,ain't on your property.Not dismissing them,they're great pcs of machinery.But riding around on an open tractor in freezing rain is just plain bad.

Fetching wood isn't for the faint of heart....between the nasty's involved with running a gang of smoke belching two-strokes.To the back breaking sport of "log wrestling".....It's mighty nice to be sitting in a heated cab of a Toyota or a Jeep,with a trailer being loaded,just sayin.

Charles Wiggins
04-17-2015, 5:02 PM
I sort of understand your problem,as we've heated with wood for 30+ years....here.Have basically heated with wood all my life,growing up.

The best wood getter we ever had was an "early",man trans,Toyota 4 runner.When they still had vinyl interiors and straight fr axles.Nuthin like snaggin logs in style.Today,I'd grab an older(cheap) Jeep Cherokee,straight six,man trans.In certain mrks they're practically free.....man trans.....emission codes...etc.You just can't be looking anywhere 4-wheelers are present.Tractors are great but represent logistic problems if the wood,ain't on your property.Not dismissing them,they're great pcs of machinery.But riding around on an open tractor in freezing rain is just plain bad.

Fetching wood isn't for the faint of heart....between the nasty's involved with running a gang of smoke belching two-strokes.To the back breaking sport of "log wrestling".....It's mighty nice to be sitting in a heated cab of a Toyota or a Jeep,with a trailer being loaded,just sayin.

Brian,

I am sure your heart is in the right place, but I am not in a position to go out and buy another vehicle just to pull logs. That would pretty much defeat the whole "free wood" thing.

Charles Wiggins
04-17-2015, 5:05 PM
All this plus the fact that your logs will probably be full of sand and other dirt which is pretty hard on your saw chain. If I was dragging logs out I'd wait until winter when there's a nice layer of snow to drag them on. they drag easier and don't get full of dirt.

Jerry,
Thanks, but waiting is not really an option. I am harvesting this wood for next winter, plus Rutherford County North Carolina does not normally get enough snow to make what you describe possible.

Charles Wiggins
04-17-2015, 5:08 PM

You're probably right, but sometimes, when you have more time than money, you do what you have to do.

Jim Matthews
04-17-2015, 6:03 PM
+1 on muling these out.

It's the killer app for the original hayfed winch on four legs.

Jim Matthews
04-17-2015, 6:07 PM
Anyway that you decide to haul out, skids will make the work easier.

Even last year's toboggan would help.
The concern I raise with a tensioned cable
is what happens if it slips loose,
or worse - breaks?

I've got to wonder how much ground you can
cover with a couple of Peaveys and some sapling skids,
cut onsite?

Uphill to the road, izzit?

Peter Kelly
04-17-2015, 6:41 PM
Any reason why you wouldn't be able to chainsaw mill the logs in place? Could carry out boards one at a time.

Bruce Pratt
04-17-2015, 10:49 PM
If you have the right anchor points and room to drive your truck, you should be able to use your truck with one or more snatch blocks and a long cable to extract the logs. If you need more power, check out how to reeve multiple tackle blocks to increase the mechanical advantage.

Chris Parks
04-18-2015, 12:54 AM
If you have the right anchor points and room to drive your truck, you should be able to use your truck with one or more snatch blocks and a long cable to extract the logs. If you need more power, check out how to reeve multiple tackle blocks to increase the mechanical advantage.

This^^^, get one out and use it as a ground anchor if need be. You could set up rollers with a chainsaw to keep the log off the ground, that would make it easier for sure though I wouldn't bother.

Mike Cutler
04-18-2015, 7:52 AM
Charles

The boat winch will work, it will just be slow unless you get a 120vac inverter and power it off your truck. Then you could drive the winch with a 1/2" drill. Make a "stone boat" for pulling the logs in one piece if that is what you desire. Me personally I would cut the rounds to length in place and put them in a skid hooked to the winch and them pull them out. I would not pull a log out whole, unless I had a way to get it into the truck without cutting it to length. I would't be saving anything.
No matter which way you do it, getting logs out of the woods is going to be work. A lot of work, to really lots of work.
That chainsaw winch is pretty cool, but it seems limited to me.
Your truck, a winch(manual or electric), a skid of some type, and a snatch line should do the work.

Ole Anderson
04-18-2015, 12:46 PM
You could always get one of these, not so cheap though, just on topic, sort of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjsStMS02J8

Or you could go to your local redneck bar and throw down a case of beer to the ol' boy that can pull the most logs in 5 minutes with their 4X4...

Jason Roehl
04-18-2015, 1:23 PM
Put a locker in the rear end of your truck, and chains on the tires. That will be about as good as 4WD (which are really 2WD unless they have limited slip or lockers in front and back).

Jim Andrew
04-18-2015, 8:41 PM
Do you have a car trailer? I use mine to haul logs, and anything else I need to drag home. I use 2 pieces of 2x6 about 5' long , a log chain, and a 12v winch to pull logs up over the side. I have loaded some pretty big logs over the side. It has a railing about 12" high along the front and sides of the trailer, so I don't have to strap the logs down. Harbor freight has been having tent sales with 12v winches very reasonable. If you get stuck, use the winch to pull yourself out.

Mark Walden
04-18-2015, 9:02 PM
I had some large Alder trees on some property that was a swamp, anything you tried to drive out there was going to sink.I had a 1969 Dodge van w/manual trans. I took off one of the back wheels put on one with no rubber, ran a cable through the air valve over to a block on the bottom of a tree then about 10ft up to another block like a logging spar tree. Run the cable out to the logs start the van put it in gear and drag them in, worked great. No I never had any problems with the van cumming off the jack.

roger wiegand
04-21-2015, 8:25 AM
Having watched the good ol' boys sink their 4wd Kubota tractor to the hubs and fail to drag a log more than about 10 ft and then watching the Amish guy easily pull the same logs out of the woods (a couple days later and after more rain) with a pair of draft horses I reiterate my suggestion. The guy with the horses charged a fraction of what it cost to get the tow guys to pull the tractor out of the mud.

Charles Wiggins
04-21-2015, 8:43 AM
The Unimog is my dream vehicle. There was one for sale in Asheville several years back and it took all I had not to empty my savings and buy it. Just couldn't afford it at the time. Still can't. Probably never will.

Charles Wiggins
04-21-2015, 8:54 AM
Not a bad idea, but I was pricing differential lockers and that's more than I have to put into the project it right now.

Rod Sheridan
04-21-2015, 9:12 AM
Hi Charles, how about a log arch to make the dragging easier?

Ted Calver
04-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi Charles, how about a log arch to make the dragging easier?

What Rod said. If you are clever, you could weld one up. Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsYFkGjNFoI

Mike Lassiter
04-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Charles it might be more practical to get you a double wheeled wheelbarrow and cut the logs into firewood lengths that you could load in it and roll them out to your truck. You would be more maneuverable with the wood cut into shorter lengths and you have to cut it anyway so it wouldn't be any extra work. I think this would be more productive than trying to hand winch long logs out that will try to hang on everything as you winch them. This would certainly be easier and quicker than trying to carry by hand. The dual wheels would help stabilize the wheelbarrow so you didn't have to steady it under load trying to make your way through the trees.

Henry Keller
04-21-2015, 2:23 PM
what about about a power wheelbarrow rented on Saturday and kept for the weekend

Rod Sheridan
04-21-2015, 3:37 PM
What Rod said. If you are clever, you could weld one up. Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsYFkGjNFoI

Here's a poor photo of the one I made.

Regards, Rod.

Charles Wiggins
04-21-2015, 4:16 PM
What's that winch rated?

Rod Sheridan
04-22-2015, 8:03 AM
Hi, it's a 1,500 pound winch with the log supported by two pieces of cable.

That log was about 700 pounds.................Regards, Rod.

Charles Wiggins
04-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Here's a poor photo of the one I made.

Regards, Rod.

Not too practical right now since I have no way to pull it in the field, but if I do ever build one it would be based on this design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs09WG8xhrE

Charles Wiggins
04-22-2015, 1:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKzbqbmaHGs

Ted Calver
04-22-2015, 2:20 PM
I've also had good luck moving small log sections using a nurserymans ball cart. Mine is rated to #1000 and there's no doubt in my mind it would hold it.
312055, 312056

Charles Wiggins
04-22-2015, 5:10 PM
Ted,

We moved a good bit with a hand truck but it was still backbreaking work pulling it up the hill and my step-son smashed three fingers between two rounds loading one to close to the other on the truck.

Ted Calver
04-22-2015, 6:56 PM
Ouch! Getting your workout at the log gym does have its drawbacks.;)