PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun oak

Phil Thien
04-17-2015, 11:07 AM
About 1.5 years ago, I spotted an add on craigslist for long, wide cherry lumber for $250. There was a good bit, but the photo was poor. I contacted the seller and told them that if it was cherry in reasonable shape, to deliver it (they had a pickup truck, I didn't) and I'd pay them the do-re-mi. I've done this before, and been very happy with what I've received.

A couple of days later they show up, a couple in their sixties. And what they had was a load of bug-holed red oak. I called their attention to the holes and he said "that's normal," and she looked concerned. I mentioned it was oak and not cherry and he said "nope it is cherry," and she looked more concerned.

They didn't look like scammers, something was "off." Then when he couldn't hear us, she tells me, "he has cancer, he is trying to tie-up loose ends." Ugh. She asked if I'd pay $125 for the wood so they could be done with it. I wasn't interested and wouldn't have been even if they were paying ME to take the wood. I just am not a huge red oak fan. And this stuff looked pretty troubling.

I paid her the $125.

There was a lot of insect damage. The decision was made to keep it in the unheated garage through the winter and boy did we have a very cold winter. My research indicated that nothing in the wood should live through it, and I couldn't spot any signs the following spring. Left it in the garage through another winter, which wasn't as bad but had plenty of stretches of cold enough weather to kill anything.

So just yesterday I tried jointing/planning some. It is actually quite nice wood, save for the holes. Not too red toned, more brown. Looks like the victim of a shotgun blast (or forty), though.

I had half a mind to burn it, but can't bring myself to do so. I'm going to make something (or a bunch of things, I have quite a bit) from it, I guess.

A friend was visiting last night, returning a tool that actually belongs to him but is on more or less permanent loan in my basement. He knows the story of the oak. His son was along and asked if it was red oak or white oak, and my friend said "That is guy's code oak." I insisted I'd make something from it and he said "well at least you won't need to predrill any screw holes."

Tony Joyce
04-17-2015, 11:39 AM
The picture looks more like wormy butternut than oak. Just my opinion.
Nice boards none the less.

Tony

Rod Sheridan
04-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Nice wood..................Rod.

Kent A Bathurst
04-17-2015, 12:38 PM
I paid her the $125.

You are an outstanding person, Phil. Helped her through what was clearly a difficult time........

If you can make something out of the wood - all the better. But - that's not really the point, si it?

My hat's off to you, Sir.

Bill McNiel
04-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Phil,
In my world you did the right thing. I applaud your values. Know that "what goes around comes around", simple Karma.

ryan paulsen
04-17-2015, 1:51 PM
+1 on the karma comments

I would be concerned keeping that stuff inside before running it through a heat cycle to sterilize first. The cold may not kill off all the bugs inside. They live through the winter in the tree outside, right?

Brian W Smith
04-17-2015, 4:48 PM
Cool story,thanks for posting.I'd probably done similar......but gotta say,we aren't in the lumber storage business here(understanding others,are)....First wood wacker coming by here showing an interest,we'd be helping him load it up.From a professional standpoint.....if we aren't "moving" it,we lose.

Phil Thien
04-17-2015, 6:39 PM
+1 on the karma comments

I would be concerned keeping that stuff inside before running it through a heat cycle to sterilize first. The cold may not kill off all the bugs inside. They live through the winter in the tree outside, right?

Yeah, I probably should do that. I'm pretty confident the bugs are gone, I've seen no signs of the things for two springs now.

OTOH, I've always wanted to build my own lumber sterilization contraption. There have been other sources for lumber I turned down where the sap was clearly at least formerly infested. I once turned down a very large quantity of cherry, which I could have gotten for a song, because of very slight bug problems that a sterilization kiln would have fixed right up.

Kent A Bathurst
04-17-2015, 6:47 PM
Can't you design a bug separator to go along with the eponymous Thien Separator for dust? :confused: :confused: :D

Dave Ray
04-17-2015, 9:20 PM
Phil, your one of the guys that make woodworkers feel good about themselves. You did a very good and nice thing, now I hope the wood pays you back. It does look good

Scott Shepherd
04-18-2015, 10:08 AM
One of my suppliers does reclaimed wood. They can't keep up with demand. Those boards would fetch top dollar with that character. People make tons of stuff from them. I've cut a number of glued up panels of reclaimed wood for lobby signs for new businesses. There are a lot of start up businesses these days that want that rustic feel. Or, maybe a backsplash on a kitchen area, or even an accent wall just made from that wood.

Lot's of opportunity with that wood, it's beautiful.

Fred Perreault
04-18-2015, 5:34 PM
+1 about the wood's character. iIf there is a fair consistency to the appearance, and enough quantity, any number of furniture items could be made. Here on the Cape there are 2 reclaimed furniture builders doing a land office business making just tables and the occassional dresser. I wish that I were closer....I'd take it all :-)

Andrew Hughes
04-18-2015, 6:00 PM
I agree also that Phil is showing great character,along with the wood.My wood monger has been getting more and more reclaimed wood the stuff has holes,dirt cracks and I swear I saw mushrooms growing on one piece.Its really popular now.Aj