PDA

View Full Version : Sales Counter Design

Larry D. Wagner
08-07-2005, 8:46 AM
:) My daughter is in the planning stages for opening a new store. She will be selling clothing that appeals to teenage girls. The store is 40 X 40 with entries on two sides with display windows between the entries.(corner location)

She has asked me to build her a sales counter that would locate between the two entries and not obstruct the display area in the windows. I think I can figure out the location part, but would like to see if any of you have designed or built anything like this or could point me in the right direction for plans, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:D

Larry:) :) :)

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-07-2005, 7:54 PM
I was waiting to see what response your quest would attract...not much on a Sunday!

I would suggest that the first step is to have your daughter to run around to the store's in your local, spot those features that she likes, and that you incorporate a combination of all of these.

Doug

Aaron Koehl
08-08-2005, 9:11 AM
A photograph or a sketch would be worth a thousand words..

Wes Bischel
08-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Larry,
As Aaron said, a little more info may get you more responses.
My 2 cents worth - check the link below for some of the ADA guidelines on counters (do a "find on page" counters). Most of it is common sense, but just in case.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/smbustxt.htm

Wes

Don Baer
08-08-2005, 3:50 PM
One thing to keep in mind when designing it is to leave plenty of room close to the cash register for small novelty items. This is a marketing trick the the grocery stores have perfected. A large share of the business they do is when people buy on impulse.

Jim Becker
08-08-2005, 4:03 PM
This is really tough to help with, Larry...there are so many unknowns including whether it will be a single counter, U-shaped or a complete square arrangement. The style of the store, itself, will dictate what would be a good design. Given the merchandise, you need plenty of counter space for folding and packaging purchases, too. The suggestion for "impulse" space is important...margin, margin, margin...

Larry D. Wagner
08-09-2005, 10:34 PM
:) I've been away from the board for a day or so. Thanks to those that have responded. I apologize for no pictures as I have none. Over the weekend I was able to drive down to my daughter's prospective store and look at it from the outside. I will try to put together a sketch of it and maybe this will give you a little more to go on! I feel that it will have to be, maybe, of a modular design which would allow for the occasional change as the styles change.(maybe changeable color panels and arrangement, etc.) I'll try to get more information and post it.

Larry:) :) :)