PDA

View Full Version : Satin vs Gloss

Rick Johnston
04-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Material wise this would be directed at Arm R seal.
I've seen suggestions that using gloss and rubbing out with steel wool is another option than just using the satin product. If you only have gloss I can see that, plus it rubs out the dust nibs. It also means waiting for the product to cure for several weeks.
It would seem to me that using satin as the material would be the best choice to move the project along and minimize the steel wool step. Though I do like to rub out with a paper sack or something equivalent to smooth out. My last project with satin I did rub out with steel wool with a lubricant as the paper sack trip just didn't do the trick.

Are the other considerations to use with these two options? Satin requires keeping the product stirred is one I suppose.

Dustin Brown
04-17-2015, 4:07 PM
If you don't want to rub out the finish just use gloss for all but the final coat, then switch to satin. Should keep the same depth and clarity of the finish as rubbing it out, don't have to worry about that foggy look obstructing the grain. I suppose rubbing out may help you end up with a superior smooth finish, then then again, mayne not if you prep everything well and have a perfect application of your final coat.

Barry McFadden
04-17-2015, 4:51 PM
I use satin or gloss depending on what I think will look better on a particular piece....when using satin I sometimes rub out the finish with a cloth dipped in light oil and rottenstone powder.... it gives a very smooth finish and gets rid of and dust nibs.

John TenEyck
04-17-2015, 5:08 PM
I use satin for all the coats when want a satin sheen. I never apply more than 4 or 5 coats and don't have any issues with it getting cloudy, though I suspect it could happen if you were to apply a lot more. There's nothing wrong with using gloss for the base coats and then satin for the last one or two, I've just never done it. Rubbing out gloss might be ok for flat surfaces, but I wouldn't want to do it on a project with lots of corners and details. I think that's why they invented satin.

The comment often made about the flatters settling out while you are using it is urban legend IMO. I've stored satin Arm-R-Seal in glass jars and it takes hours and hours to settle.

John

Rick Johnston
04-17-2015, 7:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. John, I'm on the same page.