PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished the hutch...Pic

Jim Marshall
08-07-2005, 1:37 AM
This is a hutch I started for LOML a while back and just finished. I built one like this several years ago out of antique chestnut. This one is built out of ash and has a Ralph Lauren tea stain with water based polyurethane finish. LOML is tickled pink. Thanks for looking.

Keith Christopher
08-07-2005, 1:45 AM
When I first saw this I thought, nice chestnut, then read it was. A beauty for sure. Very nicely done.

Keith

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-07-2005, 2:34 AM
Very nice. :) Is that a 'keep the doors closed' thingy at the top?

Vaughn McMillan
08-07-2005, 2:56 AM
Very nice, Jim. I like the arched tops on the doors, and the finish looks great.

- Vaughn

Brian Hale
08-07-2005, 6:17 AM
Very Nice looking piece Jim!!! I've always wanted to do a project with ash but never had the chance. How is it to work with?

Brian :)

Dick Parr
08-07-2005, 7:03 AM
Great Job Jim, the hutch looks very nice. :)

Bob Noles
08-07-2005, 7:45 AM
Awesome Jim..... Simply AWESOME!

Excellent job!

scott spencer
08-07-2005, 8:24 AM
I love that piece Jim....the design, the wood, the color and the craftsmanship. Is it your design or from plans?

Thanks for sharing!

Aaron Montgomery
08-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Nice - that's pretty sweet! Good work!

Jason Tuinstra
08-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Jim, looks great. I'm sure your wife is very happy with it.

Jim Marshall
08-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Wow, thanks fellers, I really appreciate your comments. This is not one of my designs but I did change a few things up on it. The chestnut one I did several years ago was built for a lady who gave me a picture she took out of a magazine and asked if I would build one like it. The American chestnut that I used for hers was made out of an ole pew from a church that was built in the early 1800's near Oxford, Mississippi. I tore the pew apart and remilled it.

The one I just finished building for LOML was made from ash I bought here locally. The ash works pretty good although it does splinter kinda easy. The chestnut works great though. I had never even seen chestnut until I tore the pew apart. It is a very light wood and looks like a cross between red oak and ash.

Kirk, the little thingy at the top of the doors is a latch to hold the doors shut like the old craftsmen used.

I just finished building our kitchen cabinets and LOML wanted me to finish the hutch to match the cabinets so we used the tea stain on all of them. I have been kinda reluctant to post pictures of the cabinets because I built them out of poplar and several fellers have said they thought poplar was not a good choice of wood to build some cabinets.

Again thanks for your nice comments, they are very much appreciated fellers.

Mark Singer
08-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Jim,

Please put it in the Design Forum too! It is very beautiful....I love how light it feels!

Dan Oliphant
08-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Jim,

Awsome piece of furniture, well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Jim....Beautiful wood, finish, design and execution! I normally don't like projects with intricate details as they are in my mind "too busy". This, however, belongs as is! I am impressed!

Jim Marshall
08-08-2005, 2:53 PM
Thanks again fellers, you sure know how to make an ole man happy. I really do appreciate ya'll.

Michael Ballent
08-08-2005, 6:22 PM
Nice looking... I noticed that the grain on the top flows with the top of the cabinet... nice touch :D

Steve Clardy
08-08-2005, 7:47 PM
Nice. Well designed. Steve