PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0453PX vs Shop Fox W1742S

Andrew Ulsher
04-16-2015, 9:44 AM
Is there any major design or engineering differences between these planers?

The price differential seems very large to think they are clones.

G0453PX - $1845-1945
W1742S - $2416

I have a Shop Fox W1819 Table Saw and W1741S 8" Jointer that I picked up for a tad more than the Grizzly equivalents. This was a great deal in my opinion because I get an extra year of warranty for a very minor cost increase.

What would justify the price separation for the planers?

Matt Day
04-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Shop fox is the retail line of Grizzly basically. Same machines, different color. Though that is a bit more confusing now that Griz has the polar bear series.

Mike Goetzke
04-16-2015, 11:40 AM
At one time SF had a better warranty.

glenn bradley
04-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Different switchbox and arm to support same. Other than that, from the manual and parts diagrams (available for both machines online) they appear the same.

Andrew Ulsher
04-16-2015, 2:28 PM
Shop fox is the retail line of Grizzly basically. Same machines, different color. Though that is a bit more confusing now that Griz has the polar bear series.

Polar Bear series from what I can tell is paint color only correct? Nothing mechanically different?

Or am I missing something because it appears that the polar bear series does sell cheaper than its green counter part.

glenn bradley
04-16-2015, 3:25 PM
Polar Bear series from what I can tell is paint color only correct? Nothing mechanically different?

Or am I missing something because it appears that the polar bear series does sell cheaper than its green counter part.

The G0453PX is a dead ringer for my G0453Z. The G0453Z was cheaper at the time I bought mine (Bing promotion through ebay or something like that IIRC). Shop Fox generally have some cosmetic differences and sometimes more; cast iron in place of steel or vice-versa, mag switch in place of standard or vice-versa. The upside/downside to Shop Fox is that they are sold and supported through dealers. If you have one nearby, this is a plus. They also have a longer warranty in the units I have looked at. That being said, I have done nothing but work my G0453Z since I got it initially setup. Did the oil change at 20 hours as recommended and annually after that.