PDA

View Full Version : Bit brace advice welcomed

Howard Skillington
04-16-2015, 8:24 AM
I'd be happy for elves to leave me a pristine North Bros. Yankee 2101A but, at $200+, that's not gonna happen.
I understand that the later Stanley 2101's aren't as good but, by today's standards, is a nice clean one for about fifty bucks a good choice? If not, please suggest an alternative.
Thanks, guys!

Jim Davis
04-16-2015, 9:06 AM
Do you want to have the new-car smell of a brand new brace? If not, 23 2101As have sold recently on eBay at prices from $14 to $75.

Patrick Harper
04-16-2015, 9:12 AM
I really like the old Spoffard type chucks. To be honest, I would spend any more than about $40 on a brace. Watch Hyper Kitten's monthly tool release for some good deals.

Jonathan Martell
04-16-2015, 9:22 AM
They are all over the place around here. look for one that will also take round bits if you care. I wasn't really trying to collect them, but I think I have 7 or 8 of them now. Of course, one is my favorite, but they are all serviceable.

Check out yard sales this spring and summer. They usually go for around $5. I can't imagine paying $50 for one unless it was specialized in some way that I desperately needed.

lowell holmes
04-16-2015, 10:08 AM
Google "Stanley Bell brace"

I have one, and it is a solid tool. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was worth the price.

Howard Skillington
04-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Thanks, Lowell.

I was specifically wondering if anyone has been able to compare the North Bros. 2101A with Stanley's 2101A.

I also wonder how the Stanley 2101A compares with other Stanley bit braces.

Mike Holbrook
04-16-2015, 10:31 AM
I like to use two 8" braces for a good deal of my work. My favorites at the moment are a Miller Falls 733 and a Stanley 813G. These are my favorites currently because: they have the tightest heads, chucks that work with hex adapters well and they are easily recognized at a glance as different. I frequently have two set up for a given job and like being able to tell at a glance which one to grab.

I use Lee Valley or Wera Rapidator hex adaptors frequently as they can hold currently made hex drill bits or drivers. I frequently have one brace set up for drilling, ex pilot screw hole. The other brace being used for drivers, for GRK torx screws. I may also be drilling two different holes of different sizes. This is where a couple braces set up for specific work can actually be as fast or faster than an electric. I also find it is easier to be accurate with a brace, assuming the head is tight. I recently discovered how great Wood Owl drill bits are and they have hex shanks too. I often drill two different sized larger holes, or a hole and counter sink. It is nice to be able to mount two different drill bits in braces that I can tell apart easily at a glance.

I would put some thought into what work you plan to do with your brace(s) and how you want to do that work. There are some significant advantages to a brace or braces if one thinks ahead in terms of the entire system you may want to employ. How tight the braces head is and what modern drills and drivers fit in it may be more important than whether or not it is the best model available.

Reinis Kanders
04-16-2015, 11:45 AM
I recently bought a random pile of braces on eBay, 6 for $50, they looked ugly, but wiped them clean and they all work just fine. Not much can go wrong with those things and no need to spend more than 10 bucks per brace.
Braces are nice, but battery drill can be used one handed so there is that:)

Mike Henderson
04-16-2015, 12:11 PM
I have a number of braces, including a 2101 (probably Stanley made - never checked). It's a good brace but so are a couple of others I have. The one I use the most is an old Fray brace (non ratchet) probably just because I like it. But I'm not a big user of hand braces - I mostly use a cordless drill.

Mike

Jim Koepke
04-16-2015, 1:12 PM
Howard,

If you live in the Portland, Oregon area there are a few places I would send you. Not knowing where you live, my suggestions will be more general. Look into second hand stores. Locally and in Portland there are a few used tool stores. The one locally usually has a few braces that are in the $10-$15 range. Many is the time in stores like this and antique shops they may come down a bit on cash offers. Some antique stores are actually collectives and the person at the counter may not be able to lower a price.

Don't forget the Habitat For Humanity Stores. Used to be The Restore but their is another group having a claim on that name. They also have used tools at times.

If you are in the Portland, Oregon area you are welcome to take a gander at my accumulation of braces to see how the different chucks may suit your needs.

jtk

Howard Skillington
04-16-2015, 1:31 PM
Thanks for invitation, Jim. I'm in North Carolina, but love your part of the country.

lowell holmes
04-16-2015, 4:21 PM
Thanks, Lowell.

I was specifically wondering if anyone has been able to compare the North Bros. 2101A with Stanley's 2101A.

I also wonder how the Stanley 2101A compares with other Stanley bit braces.

I can't compare with the Stanley 2101A, but I do have a Stanley 1253A - 10". It is a shiny modern manufacture, and I was happy with it before I

I also have a Bell Systems -8 made by Stanley USA.
The measurements are identical.

I doubt that I answered your questions, but you know how I feel about the Bell Systems brace.

The Bell Systems brace is more robust in every way.

I never use the Stanley 1253A since acquiring the Bell Systems brace.

I bought the Bell Systems brace after reading an article in Woodworking magazine.

I doubt if I've answered your question, but you know how I feel about the two braces.

Nicholas Lawrence
04-16-2015, 7:24 PM
I do not know about the Stanley/North Bros./Bell Systems Braces. If they are too pricey, you might look at the Millers Falls braces with the "Lion" style chuck. The 772 is a ten inch sweep. I have one that holds regular modern round bits securely. I also have a Craftsman brand that I bought on Ebay thinking it was a Millers Falls 772. From what I can tell it is identical to the Millers Falls except the name. I picked them up in the last month or so for about $15 each (counting the shipping), and have been very pleased.

I am sure the Stanley/North Bros./Bell Systems lines are very high quality, but I cannot imagine what they would do that the 772 and Craftsman clone I have are not able to do. I do not do much work outside in the rain.

Michael Ray Smith
04-16-2015, 7:53 PM
I'm a fan of Millers Falls "Lion" braces.

John Powers
04-16-2015, 8:36 PM
if you lived near Woodbury NJ I'd leave a nice phone company brace for you on the rainbarrell outside my garage. free.

Howard Skillington
04-16-2015, 9:43 PM
Good leads to follow. Thanks, Nicholas.

Steve Voigt
04-16-2015, 11:04 PM
I'd be happy for elves to leave me a pristine North Bros. Yankee 2101A but, at $200+, that's not gonna happen.
I understand that the later Stanley 2101's aren't as good but, by today's standards, is a nice clean one for about fifty bucks a good choice? If not, please suggest an alternative.
Thanks, guys!

I think it's worth it. I think I paid around $40 plus shipping for the Stanley/Yankee 2101A. Before that, I used a couple of 923s that I paid $5 for at a yard sale. They are OK, but the chuck on the 2101 is a lot, lot nicer. If you get a good one, it is a really nice tool to have.

Claus Keller
04-17-2015, 5:03 AM
Howard,

I have original North Brothers braces and the Stanley model. They seem equal in quality, but it is believed that the quality of the Stanley versions declined after 1958, see here: http://www.sydnassloot.com/Brace/Northb.htm

Anyway, they are really nice tools and a pleasure to work with, particularly the 2100/2101 chuck and it ratchet mechanism is unsurpassed in my opinion.

Good luck

Claus

Howard Skillington
04-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Very helpful, Claus - thanks. That was what I had surmised might be the case. I have found an "early Stanley" 2101A that I think should still be pretty close to the character of the original tool.
Now I guess I'd better find some brace bits...

Joe Tilson
04-18-2015, 7:38 AM
Howard,
If you live near Franklin, NC, you might want to try the Whistle Stop Mall flea market on US 421 south, and drive a few mills south to the Rabun county flea market in Georgia. It's not far from Franklin maybe fifteen miles or so. I find a lot of pretty good tools there.