PDA

View Full Version : Central AC is Squeeling!

Russ Filtz
08-07-2005, 1:35 AM
My AC unit started some intermittent squeeling. Sounds like maybe a fan bearing of blower motor bushing/bearing. Anyone tried fixing this DIY, or should I give in and call a repair service? It's probably over 10-yrs old and is a Carrier Tech2000 model.

Oh, and I'm about to sell the house naturally. It couldn't wait until it sold!

Ernie Kuhn
08-07-2005, 1:47 AM
Russ,
In cases like this, the first tool I reach for is the telephone, "come fix it".
Ernie

John Hart
08-07-2005, 9:02 AM
I'm a big on DIY... You're probably right about the bearings. I usually look at it in terms of expense and time. You'll spend very little money on bearings and lots of time (maybe a day) with a few aches and pains, if you do it yourself. Having someone else fix it probably means they'll replace the whole motor. (very little time and lots of money and no aches and pains)

Tyler Howell
08-07-2005, 2:16 PM
How's the air filter? I've sean several HVACs that sound like they're about to seaze up only to find the filter was dirty.

Randy Meijer
08-08-2005, 4:31 AM
If your blower is resonably accessible, you will probably spend more time running down parts than actually making the repair. If not accessible, the job can be a PITA. Call your A/C guy see how many boat payments he will require and then figure what your free time is worth to you!!

Russ Filtz
08-08-2005, 4:04 PM
It seems to have stopped now, but I know it will start when I have a prospective buyer looking!

The blower fan and motor both seem to be mounted right on top and are visible through the louvers. Seems like I could get at it by just a few screws. I've vacuumed the condenser recently so I don't think that's it. Problem is, I'd need to time it just right so I don't have the unit down for days in this 90+ heat!

Norman Hitt
08-08-2005, 5:21 PM
It seems to have stopped now, but I know it will start when I have a prospective buyer looking!

The blower fan and motor both seem to be mounted right on top and are visible through the louvers. Seems like I could get at it by just a few screws. I've vacuumed the condenser recently so I don't think that's it. Problem is, I'd need to time it just right so I don't have the unit down for days in this 90+ heat!

Russ, if you AC is old enough that it still has the fan pulled by a belt, instead of being directly mounted on the motor shaft, it probably has oiling points on the fan shaft bearings, AND if it is as old as mine, the motor still has oiling holes as well. If this is the case, just get an oil can and squirt a bout three or four good shots of 30 wt oil in the oiling holes, (they will probably have small spring loaded caps on the holes), and that should take care of any bearing squealing for a while. While you're in there make sure the belt is not loose also, and tighten it if necessary.

NOTE: Make sure that you turn the AC and Blower Fan "OFF" before doing this. Turn the fan back on immediately after you oil it to spread the oil in the bearings before it all runs out of the bearings.

Don Baer
08-08-2005, 5:38 PM
Several months back I was on a business trip and when I called home LOML said that the furnace was making a noise and she had my youngest son check it out and told her not to use the furnace. Since I was in Alaska at the time there was little I could do about it so I told her to do as my son said. When I got home sure enough the motor bearings were bad. I pulled out the blower/motor assembly (it was held in by 2 sheet metal screws) and disassembled the motor from the blower. Then I took the motor to "Johstone supply" and paid $70 for a new one. Slapped it back in the blower, slid the blower back in place and problem solved. The whole job took about 4 hours and most of that was going and picking up the new motor.

Vaughn McMillan
08-08-2005, 6:13 PM
Russ, I don't know if home buyer's warranties are common in your neck of the woods, but all the houses I've sold or bought included a one-year warranty (paid for by the seller) on things like AC and furnace parts. If you decide not to fix the squeaky blower motor yourself, and your AC repairman quotes more than you want to pay, perhaps you can sell it as-is (hopefully it won't announce itself to the prospective buyers), then let the warranty handle the repairs when the new ownsers take possession.

The wall heater in the house I sold last fall gave up a few months after I sold the house, but the warranty handled the replacement for the new owners. They spent the $40 deductable, and got a new heater out of the deal. On our new house, I've already saved about $150.00 in parts alone by using the warranty to replace a failed display on the Jenn-Air ovens.

- Vaughn

Russ Filtz
08-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Looks like my AC is direct drive with the fan mounted directly above the motor on its shaft. It must be a bit newer, the house is only 10+ years old or so. Do the newer motors have oil holes or sealed bearing?

My agent talked about the warranty, but said not to bother offering one since the house is fairly new and I've replaced the sump pump and water heater recently. That still leaves the furnace and AC as major items that could go! I'm sure there will be an "as-is" clause though ;)

Don Baer
08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Russ,
My house is 18 years old and the blower moter I replaced did not have any oil holes for the bearings. Those types of moter ceased to exist a long time ago. Now and for over 30 year motors have been built with sealed bearings. If you had the time to pull the motor you could replace the bearings but it might be easier to do what I did and just replace the motor.

Charles Hans
08-09-2005, 4:26 PM
Russ it sounds like the condensor fan motor is doing the squealing, if so most are sealed bearings, some are even bronze sleeve type bearings. Your best bet is to get a replacement motor. get all the information from the old motor and check with Johnstone or Grainger to geta replacement, be sure that you check the rotation also. It's not a big job to replace it, and you will save a nice chunk of change. If there is a motor shop around your area they will also have or can get a replacement.

Russ Filtz
08-09-2005, 6:37 PM
Thanks all! I did similar surgery on my whole house vac, so if it starts getting noisy again, I'll pull the motor.