PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Radial Arm saw used for cross-cuts in a Lumberyard. Jump saw?

Jon Eckels
04-15-2015, 7:57 PM
Good Evening

I manage a lumberyard and we've got an old Radial Arm saw that we use for doing cross-cuts. It's old, the guards are busted, lots of small things wrong with it that add up- it needs to go, so I'm looking for a suitable replacement. Safety is foremost in mind with this purchase.

Was thinking something along the lines of a Jump saw - but aside from the one that Grizzly used to sell (apparently they no longer sell them), I don't know who else makes them, or if they go by other names. Googling "Jump Saw" didn't lead to anything helpful. I really like the safety features of the Jump saw - perfect for what we need. All we do with it are cross-cuts, and the way the tool operates, from a safety perspective, appears to be what we want.

Are there any other similar saws out there on the market? Also, it needs to run on 120V or 240V (preferably 240, as that's what we currently have). Three-phase isn't an option. I could just do a chop-saw, but looking for something that might be a bit more "Industrial".

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions - looking to buy a new saw, not used.

Thanks in advance

mark kosse
04-15-2015, 8:11 PM
Howdy Jon, I don't know what a jump saw is but you can still get a mighty fine ras from Original saw company. A 14"er is about 4grand but will last another 30 years.

Jay Aubuchon
04-15-2015, 8:37 PM
Try searching for "up cut saw" instead.

Peter Kelly
04-15-2015, 8:46 PM
http://www.originalsaw.com/woodcutting.html

There's also Omga radial arm saws. I believe WW Thayer sells them.

Myk Rian
04-15-2015, 8:46 PM
Wolfe machinery restores and sells DeWalt saws.
http://www.wolfemachinery.com/

Bill Adamsen
04-15-2015, 9:08 PM
If it's just your saw that is worn out, there are lots of RAS out there (Long Island and region) for not much money. Problem is that most of the really heavy-duty units are 3-phase. I would think a RAS 3-phase could run easily on a VFD (I think the Original Saw Company does that) ... and their's leverages braking, which should be easy to implement with the VFD.

Jeff Duncan
04-15-2015, 9:17 PM
There are several companies that make/made jump saws over the years, Whirlwind and Pistorius made some good quality machines. Not sure who still makes them, and not sure they're the best bet for a lumberyard? I think Radials have a proven reputation in this type of setting and with a little homework on your part you can make your own guarding system infinitely better than anything the manufacturer provides. Many lumber stores now shroud the entire blade path with a plywood box virtually eliminating the potential for getting the wrong things cut, (I say virtually because I've found over the years there's really no limits to the stupidity of humans).

Anyway two other companies that make quality saws are Omga and CTD, not sure if they make jump saws, but what they make is top notch.

good luck,
JeffD

Peter Quinn
04-15-2015, 9:38 PM
The Razorgauge cyclone is an uncut saw aka jump saw that has modern safety features and is still made. IMO the old uppercuts were at least as dangerous as a RAS because at least with a RAS you can see the blade and have to take action to make it cut you.....most up cuts are pneumatic actuated, so you step on a pedal, the hold down drops....possibly on your fingers if they are in the wrong place and the blade comes flying up. Biggest issue though for the up cuts is cross cut capacity us fairly limited, average is around 9" IIR, they sure make bigger ones but you pay for the privilege. They don't always like less than straight stock either, and you have to adjust the hold down height for each different thickness over a pretty tight range. Definitely look closely before going that route. When I think up-cut I'm thinking an accurate 90 degree cross cutter as a defect saw down stream from a molder, like a flooring line or similar, or for mass production of similar strip products.

The local lumber yard near me had issues with both their RAS's just a couple of years ago, old and cranky sure, but the insurance company had taken issue with them for safety reasons. They dumped an old huge dewalt that lived outside under cover and a smaller delta turret style in the molding area of the inside yard for a couple of Original Saw models. Man, those are great. Breaking soft start motor, pretty good blade guard system, auto carriage return with over feed protection (like how a seat belt locks up). So if you don't have a general problem with the RAS concept and just want a safer newer option, they really do make them just as well and quite a bit better than they ever did. Not cheap like an auction antique, but way cheaper than a single employee out on comp with an amputation. IMO the RAS is a much better option for roughing lumber and cutting a wide variety of material frequently than an up cut saw.

Bill Adamsen
04-15-2015, 10:45 PM
There is a Yates 16" swing blade (just the name sounds dangerous) on EBay (Spring Valley, NY) that has a great table setup for a lumberyard. A little "out of the box" ...

Rick Lizek
04-16-2015, 6:43 AM
Up cut saw is what most people call them and there are a number of manufacturers. Three phase is a non issue. Saying it needs to be single phase means you have much more to learn...

Peter Kelly
04-16-2015, 10:12 AM
http://www.marvcotool.com/wood_cutting_machine.htmlhttp://www.marvcotool.com/wood_cutting_machine.html

Available with single phase electrics.

Mike Ontko
04-16-2015, 1:00 PM
Maybe it would be too small scale for your needs, but most of the lumber yards or lumber sellers that I've been to in the recent past have used a sliding compound miter saw to make quick cuts for customers.

Peter Quinn
04-16-2015, 5:08 PM
Up cut saw is what most people call them and there are a number of manufacturers. Three phase is a non issue. Saying it needs to be single phase means you have much more to learn...

I second this. The subset of people that want an up cut and have only single phases is probably quite small. These are mostly industrial machines. I'm guessing they can be had single phase but probably an uncommon option. Single phase RAS is much more typical.

Kent A Bathurst
04-16-2015, 5:55 PM
Good Evening

I manage a lumberyard and we've got an old Radial Arm saw that we use for doing cross-cuts. It's old, the guards are busted, lots of small things wrong with it that add up- it needs to go, so I'm looking for a suitable replacement. Safety is foremost in mind with this purchase.

Was thinking something along the lines of a Jump saw - but aside from the one that Grizzly used to sell (apparently they no longer sell them), I don't know who else makes them, or if they go by other names. Googling "Jump Saw" didn't lead to anything helpful. I really like the safety features of the Jump saw - perfect for what we need. All we do with it are cross-cuts, and the way the tool operates, from a safety perspective, appears to be what we want.

Are there any other similar saws out there on the market? Also, it needs to run on 120V or 240V (preferably 240, as that's what we currently have). Three-phase isn't an option. I could just do a chop-saw, but looking for something that might be a bit more "Industrial".

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions - looking to buy a new saw, not used.

Thanks in advance

Jon -

I have very extensive personal experience with sourcing these up-cut saws. I know the brands, their capabilities, pros and cons, and I know the vendors. I know how to set them up and how to operate them efficiently .

There are one or two with excellent products that you would not stumble across, and there are a couple of very reputable used equipment dealers that you would not stumble across.

For the people with the background I have, these sources are on the short list of vendors. For much of the WW crowd here, they would have no reason to become intimate with this segment of he industry.

What I don't know is the material you are cutting - the details are important.

Please send me a PM, so I can better understand what you need to do, and give you some suggestions.

For the record: I have been "hands-on" at one level or another with a few hundred of this type of saw. They are [I]much more efficient, and much safer [where properly set up] than an RAS - ASSUMING that they can make the type of cut required. THey can't do dados, for example.

Kent A Bathurst
04-16-2015, 5:58 PM
There is a Yates 16" swing blade (just the name sounds dangerous) on EBay (Spring Valley, NY) that has a great table setup for a lumberyard. A little "out of the box" ...

If you saw a swing saw in operation, you would immediately turn around and leave, so you would not run the risk of seeing flying fingers.

Edward Oleen
04-23-2015, 2:31 AM
I deal with three lumber yards in my area. They ALL have the big old DeWalt RAS's. They live forever if you just take a little care of them - like blowing out the sawdust occasionally, and putting some grease on the track once a year.

These are direct drive units, and swing big blades: I don't know exactly how big, but they all look the same size. I asked at one yard the other day, and was told that it was bought by the current owner's father when he first took over the yard.

Ed Labadie
04-23-2015, 9:22 AM
Northfield still makes the upcut saws.....

http://northfieldwoodworking.com/cutoffsaws/cutoffsaws.htm

Ed