PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing 6" X 6" X 30"

Tim Boger
04-15-2015, 7:17 PM
I have a project coming up making a couple of Chandelier bodies, they'll each be approx 4.5 to 5" at the widest point and 26" long.

I have plenty of rough sawn 1" Maple that I could plane smooth and do a glue up or I can look for something pre-cut.

What would be your recommendation of material choice and suggestions where to source it (pre-cut)

Thanks Tim

Reed Gray
04-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Solid wood that diameter will have movement problems, and probable cracking issues. Probably best to glue up a hollow on the inside.

robo hippy

Tim Boger
04-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Hey Reed,

Thanks for the feedback, at the request of the lighting designer the center shall receive a 5/8" hole / slot to allow for the threaded rod which contains the wiring.

Do you see an issue simply gluing up 5 pieces @ 1" x 5" X 30" to then turn to shape?

Thanks
Tim

Solid wood that diameter will have movement problems, and probable cracking issues. Probably best to glue up a hollow on the inside.

robo hippy

Reed Gray
04-16-2015, 12:54 AM
I would think the more open the center is the better, so more like a hollow form and 1 inch thick walls. It would make it lighter in weight as well. Plugs on top and bottom maybe. Most lamps seem to have a brass tube through the center for the wiring. If I was doing a floor lamp (saw one from Ernie Conover some years back), then I would use 1 inch stock with a 1/2 inch dado in each half. I am guessing here, I haven't done some thing like this, but this is how I would approach it.

robo hippy

Tom Giacomo
04-16-2015, 1:46 AM
I would do a glue up.

Tim Boger
04-16-2015, 6:58 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, this project sure has me thinking as well ....

I like the idea of the "hollow form" for reducing the weight. I also like leaving the wall thickness at around an inch. In my head, I'm working through the different ways to hold the piece during the turning process.

Good info, appreciate it.
Tim

I would think the more open the center is the better, so more like a hollow form and 1 inch thick walls. It would make it lighter in weight as well. Plugs on top and bottom maybe. Most lamps seem to have a brass tube through the center for the wiring. If I was doing a floor lamp (saw one from Ernie Conover some years back), then I would use 1 inch stock with a 1/2 inch dado in each half. I am guessing here, I haven't done some thing like this, but this is how I would approach it.

robo hippy

Tim Boger
04-16-2015, 7:00 AM
I would do a glue up.

Thanks Tom, I agree.
Tim

Bruce Lewane
04-16-2015, 9:36 AM
Having made many lamps, I would do a glue up, give them the shape they want, then let the lamp hardware take over. There are thousands of bushings, ferrules, nuts etc.
when it comes to lamp making. You do the wood, they can make it into a lamp.