PDA

View Full Version : Laser Regulations in NY

Steve Clarkson
04-15-2015, 3:55 PM
So the good news is that NYS has eliminated the $600
Laser Regulation Permit Fee because it is considered a "nuisance fee". The bad news is that I didn't realize that NYS had regulations for lasers:

https: //labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/wp/CR50.pdf

Dave Sheldrake
04-15-2015, 7:20 PM
Lots of regulations get ignored...the requirement for an LSO to be present when a laser is operated is also often over looked :)

Mike Lassiter
04-15-2015, 8:08 PM
Because I got the class 4 module with my laser - that was a PITA on my end. I won't get into it all here - it's water under the bridge now. But I was suppose to have signed a paper BEFORE I got my laser that basically said if I didn't follow ALL safety rules and regulations and have a LSO and on and on, my warranty could be voided on the laser. Since I already had the machine (in storage at that time as I was wiring the building for it) I refused to sign that because the warranty on the laser had nothing to do with the other things that was being tacked onto the agreement.

I did sign it - eventually, but I understood the ordeal caused "some changes" in how ULS handled this going forward.

Kev Williams
04-15-2015, 8:40 PM
Most of those rules were written in 1972...
The year I graduated high school....
3 years after man walked on the moon..
When a computer the size of a house had 1/1000 the computing power of the dumbest smart phone.
The year Pulsar introduced the worlds first LED digital watch for $2100...according to one online inflation calculator, that's $11,997.69 in today's dollars.

"nuisance fee"? That's an understatement!

Dave Sheldrake
04-16-2015, 5:42 AM
There's a whole load of US laws that affect laser ownership and use, 99% of them people simply don't follow.Not just in NY but over the whole of the country.

It's worse here, I'd pretty much bet serious $$$$ on the fact 80% of UK based laser companies are operating illegally if they looked at all the laws :(

Michael Davis4
04-16-2015, 10:33 PM
Good evening Steve. Please read the following.

§ 50.3 Specific exemptions.The transfer, receipt, possession or use of lasers under the following conditions shall be exempt from therequirements of this Part (rule):(a) Exemption No. 1 Lasers during the time period of their storage, shipment or sale when such equipment isnot readily capable of emitting laser radiation. However, the laser labeling requirements of this Part (rule) shallapply during such time periods.(b) Exemption No. 2. Lasers which by reason of their design and construction cannot emit radiation thatexceeds 1 X 10-7 joules/cm2 or 1 X 10-5 watts/cm 2 when measured 10 centimeters from the exterior surfaces of suchlasers. This exemption does not apply to the testing or servicing of such laser during their production or repair.

What this means is in the state of New York as in most all states your Laser Engraver is Exempt. Yes Laser Engravers are a Class IV Laser but because of the Engineered controls put into place ie: The Case it is housed in and the Interlocks in place it is by law considered a Class I laser. As long as you do not modify it or try to bypass the controls you are go to go. Most states have this exemption written in there laws. All 50 states in the US have Laws that govern Lasers and there uses.

My experience comes from being a Certified Laser Control and Safety Officer for the DON for the last 30 years.

I hope this helps.

Michael Davis

Steve Clarkson
04-17-2015, 6:47 AM
Thanks for the clarification Michael........good thing I never bypass the interlocks by trying to put something too big into my laser!

Dave Sheldrake
04-17-2015, 6:12 PM
As long as you do not modify it or try to bypass the controls you are go to go.

Or it's a chinese import Michael ;)

Clark Pace
04-17-2015, 6:27 PM
Just kidding, but it can be a pain. When I applied for my business license I got lucky. As long as it was a covered laser, that is an open table I was ok being in a non industrial area. If I had an open table laser I would have had to find a place in the inustrial park.

Or it's a chinese import Michael ;)

Dave Sheldrake
04-17-2015, 7:16 PM
I get 4 to 6 weekly visits from the Factories Inspectorate here Clark :( they ignore pretty much every other machine apart from the lasers...straight over to them for a 2 hour check up then on to the extraction systems outside for air purity tests :(

George M. Perzel
04-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Jeez Dave;
4 to 6 visits per week!! And I thought the US had the lead in over -regulation and bureaucracy -ya got us beat by a mile.
Best Regards,Geo
rgeLasera
rts

Dan Hintz
04-18-2015, 3:48 PM
Perhaps he meant a visit every 4-6 weeks?...

Dave Sheldrake
04-18-2015, 5:51 PM
Yup, I did :)

No advance warning , they just turn up, sometimes 4 weeks apart, sometimes 5 but rarely more than 6 :)

Bert Kemp
04-18-2015, 8:47 PM
Dave
if they come check you out that offten they must think your trying to put one over on them:p

Yup, I did :)

No advance warning , they just turn up, sometimes 4 weeks apart, sometimes 5 but rarely more than 6 :)

Clark Pace
04-18-2015, 9:12 PM
Dave
if they come check you out that offten they must think your trying to put one over on them:p

That crazy. Never heard of that in the US

Art Mann
04-18-2015, 9:15 PM
I am just so thankful I don't live where the State government is so overbearing.

Dave Sheldrake
04-19-2015, 9:46 AM
It's mostly due to what a 7.5kW laser can do ...or rather can be made to do :(