PDA

View Full Version : Scraper Shape for Bowl Work

Mike Goetzke
04-15-2015, 10:18 AM
I'm the new owner of a 1/4" detail gouge and 1-1/4" scraper in the recent Doug Thompson charity event.

I'm a fairly new turner. I talked to Doug about scraper shape for bowl turning and (as I recall) he suggested a slightly rounded nose that was swept back to one side (I believe left) so you could work the inside and outside of the bowl. I requested this shape on the new scraped but it came with a pretty symmetrical slightly radius-ed tip. Would appreciate picture or diagram on how others shape their scrapers for bowls.

Thanks,

Mike

Thom Sturgill
04-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Check out Robo Hippy's you tube channel. He uses scrapers heavily and has one on shape.

Lloyd Keniston
04-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Here is the address for the video that Thom suggested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4ak8ygzS4

Reed Gray
04-15-2015, 1:03 PM
One can never have too many tools.... Thanks for posting the link. If you have any questions, just ask. I have mostly standard swept back on the left side, but also a couple of round nose, and one ) nose.

robo hippy

Pat Scott
04-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Something like this works well.

Reed Gray
04-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Pat, are those negative rake scrapers? If so, they are fine for dainty clean up work, but lousy for heavy roughing.

robo hippy

Pat Scott
04-17-2015, 9:17 AM
Yes both are negative rake. Good point, if you're wanting a scraper for shaping or rough turning then negative rake is not what you want. I posted the pic to help Mike with shaping the tool.

Prashun Patel
04-17-2015, 9:25 AM
As long as the cutting edge is radiused it doesn't make too much difference whether the other side is straight or radiused. I prefer the cutting edge to be swept back so you can alter the angle of approach to the bowl.

I wonder if that swept-back-on-one-side-only style is for ease of sharpening?

I find radiused scrapers easy to free-hand sharpen on the grinder anyway.