PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail joints - How tight is right?

Glen Blanchard
08-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Well, I finally got around to getting a dovetail jig - a Keller. I can tell that I am really going to like it - especially not having to fuss with router bit height and test cuts. My test box has been cut and joined. I am wondering now if I have the proper fit of the joint. Let me try to explain how it is set up as of now. It really requires a few good taps with a dead blow to get the dry-assembled box together - pretty tight. After disassembling (with effort)fitting the box back together can be done without the deadblow (some compression of wood fibers occured when originally assembled I suppose).

Is this too tight, or am have I got this thing tuned pretty well? Just wondering if I will have difficulty when glueing up.

Jamie Buxton
08-07-2005, 12:01 AM
For me, if it takes a hammer to dry-assemble it, it's too tight. That means you're probably stressing the wood. It also might mean that you're wiping glue completely off the glue face as you hammer it home. I aim for joints which I can push together with my bare hands, and get apart with my bare hands.

Chris Padilla
08-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Glen,

Seems a ~*tad*~ tight to me. Once you slop glue in there, it might be hard to get it back together due to swelling. I like to be able to get my DT joints together without any force...simply my hand pressure and slight jockeying to get 'em joined.

Richard Wolf
08-07-2005, 10:05 AM
I would not have a problem with a few taps with a mallet, but not sure what you mean by a few "good" taps. Keep in mind that different woods will act differently and that glue will actually act as a lubricate to assemble the box.
I have always seen Norn take the mallet to his dovetails, FWIW.

Richard

Matt Woodworth
08-07-2005, 10:26 AM
The perfect fit would slide together by hand yet still be tight enough to maintain it's 90 degree angle when you're only holding one piece of assembly. However, I've been known to bang fit a dovetail or two and it works out just fine. :)

Keith July
08-07-2005, 7:44 PM
I have been using a Keller jig for several years. I can't count the number of drawers I have built with this fixture. I get excellent dovetails every time.:) I have to tap them together but I do not feel that they are too tight.
...How can you tell if the dovetail is too tight? Answer...If you need a 8 pound sledge to get it to fit.:( Ha Ha

Keith