PDA

View Full Version : Arduino and Raspberry Pi

Dave Lehnert
04-14-2015, 9:40 PM
Kinda interested in exploring Arduino and/ or Raspberry Pi.
Anyone have experience with them and what one would be better to start with?
Any forums, books etc.....that helped you get started?

Michael Weber
04-14-2015, 9:49 PM
I purchased an Arduino a couple months back. Pretty amazing what you can do with them. There are CNC machines using Arduino for control. I got mine on impulse to use to control stepper motors for use with a router lift. Got a nice stepper off eBay as well as a controller really cheap. Played around making the motor work but haven't messed with putting it on the router lift. Maybe some day. I actually got an Arduino knockoff. There are lots of them available, and Arduino is actually okay with that. The programming is subset of C++ and kind of fiddly as far as syntax.

John McClanahan
04-14-2015, 11:09 PM
It depends on what you want to do. The Raspberry Pi is a computer, and needs an OS to boot from. An Arduino is a microprocessor, and runs a script program. Now you know everything I know about this.:D

John

Dan Hintz
04-15-2015, 6:38 AM
What do you want to do with it?

The Pi is great if you're a Linux user. The Arduino is a step closer to bare metal programming, and it would be my choice if I was trying to automate something (though I'm an embedded programmer by trade, so take that with an appropriately-sized grain of salt).

Alan Rutherford
04-15-2015, 8:16 AM
I agree with all the above. I built my first computer before there were PC's and am writing this on a former Windows PC now running Linux. I'm more of a programmer than a systems guy and have a couple of Arduino's but have done very little with them. I'd get more out of an RPi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/
http://arduino.cc/
http://makezine.com/2013/04/14/47-raspberry-pi-projects-to-inspire-your-next-build/
http://makezine.com/category/electronics/arduino/#guideList

Scott Shepherd
04-15-2015, 8:21 AM
They are cheap, start with an Arduino, see if you like it and if it does what you want. It's very easy to get started with them. If you find you want to get more complex, go with the Pi. There are a lot more things available for the Arduino than the Pi right now, but that's slowly changing. The Pi will take a little more time to get going, as mentioned, it's a full linux computer. If you want to add some features to it, you'll need to learn a few linux commands to do that.

There are loads of online resources for learning both. Get one and get going!

Phil Stone
04-15-2015, 11:14 AM
I have worked with both, but they serve very different niches. I've used an Arduino to turn an old keyboard volume pedal into an expression pedal (sends OSC commands over USB to a laptop). Arduinos are wonderful for embedded use; the language used to program them is fairly simple, and a nice development environment is available for free for them.

RPis are fully functional Linux computers. They can do almost everything a desktop computer can do, if you add on the right parts. If you don't know Linux, expect a steep learning curve. Other than that, they're an amazing value.

David Bassett
04-15-2015, 1:13 PM
It really does depend on what you want to accomplish. What is the specific project, or skill!, you are interested in exploring?

The biggest strength of both platforms is the incredible communities that have grown around them providing resources & infrastructure you can use. Arduino targeted physical control, e.g. blinking LEDs, positioning servos, or reading simple sensors, and tried to make it accessible for artists. R-Pi targeted education and teaching programming to primary & middle school students, with a few hooks for attaching hardware. Both platforms have expanded well beyond the initial plans with enthusiasts contributing code, hardware designs, projects, & tutorials. That said, I suggest making your choice with the original goals in mind. If you want a controller, go with Arduino. If you want a cheap computer / internet device* you can program, go with Raspberry Pi. Or, maybe even better, find a project write-up that inspires you and start with the platform and specific hardware it uses.

* yes, you can get internet interface libraries for Arduino, but that's not its strength. R-Pi was designed to be fully connected from the beginning.

** Re: "linux is hard", so "R-Pi is scary". If you're going to hack the kernel, yes it will take some (considerable) study. However, if you will just be a user of the packaged OS software (start with Raspian, unless your specific project calls for something else,) it won't be any harder adapting than changing from one version of Windows to another. Yes, everything is a little different, but everything is still there and works about the same way. You can figure it out!

Dave Lehnert
04-15-2015, 7:54 PM
Thanks for all the info.
What do I want to do with it? I just want to explore and learn.
Sounds like Arduino will be more to my liking. Easier to get started.
I see a lot of kits for sale for prices all over the map. Can anyone point to a kit that is a good value but not junk.

Scott Shepherd
04-15-2015, 7:59 PM
Dave, it might cost a little more than places like Amazon, but adafruit is a great place to start with the Arduino. You'll find about every sensor, button, switch, and learning tool you'd ever need on that site. Their prices are fair. Not great, but not high either, just fair (in my opinion).

David Bassett
04-16-2015, 12:50 AM
2nd Adafruit as good people. Check out their blog and tutorials. They seem to *really* want to help people. (In fact they're one of the best places, in the USA, for R-Pi stuff too.)

I think which version of Arduino will be best for you depends on which project, tutorial, or book you'll be following. Get what your first project recommends and then you'll have fewer problems. The basic design is open source and all versions are mostly compatible, but there are little details (extra or fewer features) that cause irritating problems* you'll avoid with exactly what is used for your examples. If you're using a generic guide, I'd start with an official Arduino Uno. It seems like the most common version right now. (*My wife spent hours trying to get a slightly non-standard Arduino to work for a project before she noticed the one line mentioning to change a default setting in the IDE.)

If you want to buy a single kit with all the parts for a series of experiments, you should also check Make's MakerShed. They're (usually) a little more, but they specialize in complete packages and great documentation. (The Make books are a wonderful resource for all things hobbyist.)

You don't say where you are, but another possibility is finding a class or seminar. A local hacker space or school might offer something. I took a two part class at TechShop. We soldered (a fairly non-standard) Arduino-clone together and then used it to control various sensor and output devices. It was a painless overview of all the basics.

Matt Meiser
04-16-2015, 7:40 AM
I picked up an Arduino board, Ethernet Shield and Relay Shield, and a project kit with a breadboard, jumpers, etc dirt cheap (probably <$50 for all of it) at a Radio Shack store closing sales. The Arduino was probably around the same as online pricing but I paid pennies on the dollar for the rest. Also got bunch of wire for a couple bucks, some small speakers for $12 and a Bluetooth speaker for my daughter for $35--spent more money at Radio Shack closings than I've spent in the last 10 years there. That was when they were pretending they weren't filing for bankruptcy yet though. Now that the liquidators have taken over the closing stores the deals probably are more typical of store closings.

While I mostly got it to play with, I do have a project in mind to grab some signals off my generator to know its trying to start, running, transfer switch status, etc but I haven't done much with it.

David B Thornton
04-23-2015, 12:24 PM
I picked up an Arduino board, Ethernet Shield and Relay Shield, and a project kit with a breadboard, jumpers, etc dirt cheap (probably <$50 for all of it) at a Radio Shack store closing sales. The Arduino was probably around the same as online pricing but I paid pennies on the dollar for the rest. Also got bunch of wire for a couple bucks, some small speakers for $12 and a Bluetooth speaker for my daughter for $35--spent more money at Radio Shack closings than I've spent in the last 10 years there. That was when they were pretending they weren't filing for bankruptcy yet though. Now that the liquidators have taken over the closing stores the deals probably are more typical of store closings.

While I mostly got it to play with, I do have a project in mind to grab some signals off my generator to know its trying to start, running, transfer switch status, etc but I haven't done much with it.

I was just about to post this same thing. I would suggest Arduino and keep an eye out for a local Radioshack that's closing like Matt said. I was able to pick up multiple Arduino boards (Uno, etc.) for 50% off as well as all of the accessories. I now have a large bag with hundreds of dollars of Arduino boards and accessories that I have no use for at the moment. But as soon as I start automating my shop, they will come in handy.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-24-2015, 8:46 AM
Question for you guys using these for automation, is there a good place to get relays and such, and what is the first step to learning the system? I obviously know nothing about them to start with.

David Bassett
04-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Question for you guys using these for automation, is there a good place to get relays and such, and what is the first step to learning the system? I obviously know nothing about them to start with.

I suspect your biggest source of info would be the robotics crowd and a little extrapolation.

In general, I suggest (again) you start with the Adafruit blog and tutorials. There are more formal, though less current, books from Make that are great. Make Magazine, and their website, cover a wide range of maker activities. Both Arduino and robots have been big recently. (I'd say drones, Raspberry Pi, and the other newer small computer/controller boards, e.g. Beaglebone, are the current hot topics.) Also try Sparkfun. Those should get your research off to a good start. Following links, and searching topics, you find should lead you to more specific sites that are closer to your interests.

PS- Instructibles can be a great resource if you find a project there matching your interests. I've never just browsed them though. Oh, the home CNC crowd might have info relevant to automation too.

Graham Wintersgill
04-24-2015, 1:25 PM
I found the following http://www.instructables.com/id/Uber-Home-Automation-w-Arduino-Pi/ and have enough bits to make a start, just not the time. It is a very good starting point.

Regards

Graham

David B Thornton
04-24-2015, 2:01 PM
Here's an Arduino controlled table saw box joint jig that I had found a while ago:
http://tobiasmuthesius.net/2012/06/arduino-controlled-table-saw-box-joint-jig/

Dave Lehnert
04-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the links. Some great info.
My local Radio Shack is alive and well. They have been restocking too. I am in my 40's and remember going to that store in the same location when I was a kid.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-25-2015, 8:58 AM
This is a cool new gadget to ponder the applications for, thanks for more ideas.

Myk Rian
06-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Bringing this thread back to life.
I ordered an Arduino kit from a seller in Kansas last week. Should be here tomorrow. I plan on making an 8x8x8 LED box as one project. Looks like fun to play with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mXM-oGggrM

Matt Meiser
08-08-2015, 11:41 PM
I just picked up a Raspberry Pi 2 and got it loaded with Windows 10 Core tonight. Not the Windows 10 you might be familiar with but an embedded version intended to run a single app. Since I'm a Windows developer by day, it will use the same development tools and language (C#) I'm used to. Hopefully I can sell my Arduino stuff to someone and recoup my (small) investment there.

Dave Lehnert
08-09-2015, 1:14 AM
Bringing this thread back to life.
I ordered an Arduino kit from a seller in Kansas last week. Should be here tomorrow. I plan on making an 8x8x8 LED box as one project. Looks like fun to play with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mXM-oGggrM

Looks like a cool project.

Chris Parks
08-09-2015, 9:51 PM
Total digital/computer development dummy here so I hope someone can answer the question for me.

I have been looking at this http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html to control a 12 volt motor I am going to fit to my Hammer A3-31 combination machine to motorise the lift and fall. The mechanical side I have worked out, that is easy and the DRO side seems simple enough but I have yet to buy the electronics. What I would like to do is be able to set a target height and the motor would move the table to that height. Would this be achievable using a Raspberry or Arduino or has it been already done which would be better for me. Ideally I would use an Android tablet for the readout and control.

David Bassett
08-10-2015, 1:01 AM
... I hope someone can answer the question for me....

Controlling a motor is something both Arduino and Raspberry Pi can do. For all but the smallest low-voltage motors you need an interface card. You would need software to interface with the DRO and your input. That SW may exist, but I don't know of it. Since you're asking the question I'm guessing you aren't interested in creating it. Actually, I suspect it would be easiest for the UI to run on the Android device being use to display the DRO values. Controlling the motor would then involve sending commands to the motor controller, perhaps a dongle or perhaps e.g. an Arduino.

Probably your best resource is the robotics or CNC folks. (I remember early 3D printers used Arduinos as controllers, they had to drive motors for three axises. Some of that development was open source, so there must be code you could use or use as a starting point.)

Dave Lehnert
01-26-2017, 9:45 PM
Bump back to the top.
After two years since this thread started, just wondering if anyone else has gotten into Arduino or Raspberry pi.
I have been doing a lot of reading and have been messing around with a Electronic Learning Kit ( $15 on closeout at a Radio Shack) But ready for the next step.

Chris Padilla
01-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Me and some buddies picked up an Arduino UNO plus an audio shield. I can't tell you what we are doing with it but it is helping us build a prototype of what we hope is a marketable product. With Arduino, there are ways to miniaturize the circuitry once you have a firm hold on your concept. Very cool stuff!

Alan Rutherford
01-27-2017, 12:44 PM
... just wondering if anyone else has gotten into Arduino or Raspberry pi...

As a matter of fact, yes. I've had an Arduino for 2 years but I did nearly nothing with it until recently, and I got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. The RPi is an amazing little computer for almost free. I attached a wireless keyboard and mouse and plugged the HDMI output into a big wall-hung TV. It was very impressive surfing the web but once the novelty wore off, I put it aside. I use Linux on bigger computers every day and the RPi is too limited to be a good replacement for a PC. There are many other ways to use Linux nearly for free, although few of them will fit in a shirt pocket.

If you want to learn electronics and are willing to do some programming, get the Arduino. If the programming is a show-stopper, I'd look for a third choice. It's amazing what the Arduino will do with a few lines of code in the many examples but it's not going to do anything without it.

Mine came with (I think) the Make Getting Started With Arduino kit. It's OK but won't get you very far. You will quickly find you need more breadboards, more Arduinos (and/or the chips, which can be swapped out and preserve their programs), potentiometers, power transistors, displays, etc. etc. Amazon Prime is a good source.

Raspberry Pi's can be used to control Arduinos. If you really get into it, you might get one of them anyway. Good luck.

M Toupin
01-27-2017, 4:19 PM
Not specifically WW related but I have bunch running various things around the house

Cameras - https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/wiki
Turn a USB or board camera into a IP camera.

Media clients - https://osmc.tv/
With the exception of the LR TV (main box running Kodi on a Intel NUC I7), all the others in the house are RPis running Kodi clients sharing all our media. Video, music and live TV (with network tuners (https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime/)) Eliminated all the cable company boxes in the house to boot.

Network wide ad blocker - https://pi-hole.net/
My absolute favorite Pi project. Blocks all those annoying web ads on your home network including your smart TV! It's great to surf the web and not see ads, but I had no idea how much bandwidth all that ad crap uses. Our bandwidth had dropped by 40% or more since I installed it.

Mike