PDA

View Full Version : Lacquered SS Bottle Stoppers

Dominic Greco
08-06-2005, 9:11 PM
Hi Everyone,
I already posted this on Wood Central, but after reading Bill Grumbine's post about Myland's friction finish, I figured I'd post this here. I was a died-in-the-wool friction finish guy until I finally had this success with spray lacquer.

Here is a pic of some bottle stoppers I turned about (4) nights ago. From Left to right: Maple Burl, Maple Burl, Cherry, Milo, and Thurya Burl.

The Milo was from Mike Rubes (Mike, remember that log we split at Bill's 2003 BBQ?). The Thurya Burl was from Craig Daymon (Craig, I couldn't bring myself to use it for a finial. It was too cool looking!).

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Bottle Stoppers, eh? Well whoop-de-do." But give me a chance. These are a bit different for me.

First off, I used the stainless steel kit Ruth Niles (http://www.torne-lignum.com/) sells (and I can't recommend these kits enough!). And secondly, these completed bottle stoppers feature a spray lacquer finish. I really like lacquer since items coated with it will resist water. This is pretty important if you like to refrigerate your wine bottles.

However, I'm one of those people that are "finishing challenged". Unless I know the ins and outs of a finishing technique, I tend to shy away from it. I was that way with lacquer. To be quite honest, I screwed up my first attempt at lacquering so badly that I hesitated to try it again. But for some reason I got brave enough and tried it out again with these stoppers.

Rather than get out the spray gun and try that route again, I used the spray lacquer in an aerosol can that PSI sells. I gave them all several coats over a 15 minute period and allowed the finish to dry/harden over night. The next night I buffed them with Griot's Machine Polish, followed by a coat of Renaissance Wax.

I brought these stoppers into work today and before I could take a picture, (3) out of the (5) were sold. IMHO I think it's a combination of the slick looking SS kit, and the lacquer finish. So I think I may have a winner here.

Thanks for viewing.

Karl Laustrup
08-06-2005, 9:24 PM
Those are mighty nice, Dominic.

Good thing you took pics, so at least you'll remember what they looked like.:)

Karl

Jim Becker
08-06-2005, 9:33 PM
Excellent, Dominic!!

Harry Pye
08-06-2005, 11:33 PM
In addition to the lacquer finish and Ruth's fine stainless steel stoppers, you did a fine job of turning these. They really look good. I want to turn some of these as Christmas gifts and since I classify wine as Red, White and Pink, I need to find some wood to mimic these colors.

You did a great job.

John Hart
08-07-2005, 6:59 AM
Those are nice looking Dominic. I'm like you.."Finishing Challenged". I've been experimenting with so many combinations that I can't remember half the techniques I've tried. I haven't tried the laquer though. How is it for durability? This is my biggest concern. It seems like there are so many finishes that look nice but wear off or dull over time. I really want some longevity. Does your gut tell you that this finish you've chosen will hold up to the handling that they will have to endure?

Ernie Nyvall
08-07-2005, 7:49 AM
Nice stoppers and finish Dominic. I'm working on some of those myself right now, but using the deft wipe on.

Ernie

Dominic Greco
08-07-2005, 7:11 PM
...I haven't tried the lacquer though. How is it for durability? This is my biggest concern. It seems like there are so many finishes that look nice but wear off or dull over time. I really want some longevity. Does your gut tell you that this finish you've chosen will hold up to the handling that they will have to endure?

John,
Thanks for the compliments!

Lacquer was recommended to me by several other woodworkers as a durable and water resistant (not waterproof, mind you) finish. The trick is applying multiple, thin coats.

Lacquer's ability to resist "dulling" was the reason I switched from using Sanding Sealer. A Sycamore bottle stopper my wife swiped,...I mean I GAVE my wife was used on a bottle of wine. Since she prefers her wine chilled, it went into the fridge. After several days, the finish looks like,...well,...no finish at all!

Chances are you have some lacquered furniture in your house. Take a look at it and tell me how you think it held up. I bet it's withstood the test of time.

Dominic Greco
08-07-2005, 7:13 PM
Nice stoppers and finish Dominic. I'm working on some of those myself right now, but using the deft wipe on.

Ernie

Ernie,
Which Deft are you using? Polyurethane or the Lacquer? Deft was recommended to me as well. I just haven't gotten around to using it yet.

I'm always in the market for another tool in my bag of tricks. :>) I'd really like to hear more about it, and how it's applied.

Dominic Greco
08-07-2005, 7:18 PM
In addition to the lacquer finish and Ruth's fine stainless steel stoppers, you did a fine job of turning these. They really look good. I want to turn some of these as Christmas gifts and since I classify wine as Red, White and Pink, I need to find some wood to mimic these colors.

You did a great job.

Thanks for the compliments Harry.

How about this for some "color coordination"?

Pear or Mahagony=Pink (personally I prefer Pear. It matches Rose' nicely)
Cherry or Bubinga=Red (Cherry for Cabernet, Bubinga for Merlot)
Soft Maple or Holly=White

Keith Burns
08-07-2005, 8:37 PM
Lookin' good. Nice to sell some stuff so you can justify more tools.

Ernie Nyvall
08-07-2005, 9:14 PM
Ernie,
Which Deft are you using? Polyurethane or the Lacquer? Deft was recommended to me as well. I just haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Dominic, I'm using the Deft lacquer. I flood it, let it sit for a minute, if not too hot in the shop, and wipe it off. Then with the lathe on, a dry paper towell buffs it some and dries it good. The next coats are put on and wiped right off and paper towelled in between. I just posted some pics of a few.

Ernie

John Hart
08-08-2005, 7:28 AM
Funny thing...I had a pint of Deft Lacquer in the shop and didn't know it!! Haven't even opened it yet. I think I bought it on a binge and forgot.:) I guess I'll crack it open for my next pen or key fob.....Perhaps tonight!!!