PDA

View Full Version : New Basement Woodshop Purchases

Matt Hardy
04-13-2015, 10:02 PM
While I am not entirely new to woodworking I am only now in the process of putting my own shop together. The space is currently unfinished and roughly 16 X 37 feet long. I am in the process of framing the space out, wiring for a sub-panel, looking into flooring and finish options for the walls and collecting the needed tools. I am on some what of a budget so I am trying to find used equipment that is in good shape and will fit my purposes. I currently have a Rigid TS3650 Tablesaw (not my first choice but I will take it for now), DeWalt DW375 Planer, DeWalt DW708 Mitersaw, and all the smaller tools you would ever need as I worked for DeWalt for many years and collected almost one of any smaller power tools. I imagine I am still in need of a Dust Collector, Bandsaw, Jointer (currently looking for a used 8'), and drill press along with some other items like bench sanders, scroll saw, etc.

This week I was able to find what I thought was a great deal on a Jet DC-1100A with an upgraded canister filter and a Jet JDP-17MF drill press. The guy selling these never really used them, saying that he maybe only used the drill press a dozen times since he purchased it and the dust collector had never been used. It literally had never been turned on. He was asking $375 for the dust collector and $325 for the drill press. I offered him $600 for the two and he took it. I am really excited and I think both of these will work well for my needs. I plan on updating this thread on new purchases and making a new thread in the Woodshop section to post updates there on the shop progress and ask question as I move forward in the construction process. I am in no rush but I am hoping to complete the majority of the new shop over the next year.

Nick Stokes
04-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Awesome. Nice pics and nice machines. Good price too.

Nate Secrist
04-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Hi Matt,

I think you got a great deal on these 2 machines - they look hardly used! New on Amazon they are $1,300 together, so I would say you did well!
The Jet DC with the canister is definetly the way to go. I have the DC 1100, but mine is older and has the bag on top - the cannister is much nicer.

Rich Riddle
04-14-2015, 6:22 AM
Congratulations on your purchases. If you set your drill press up with a table system such as the Woodpeckers, you will be able to perform repeated, accurate, and fast drilling on your projects. It's one of the upgrades that pays for itself.

Curt Harms
04-14-2015, 9:38 AM
I would also think about some sort of separator the the Jet D.C. I installed one of Phil Thien's baffles in the bottom of my PSI dust collector. It was well worth doing - cuts WAY down on the amount of chips and dust that make its way to the filter. Others do a free standing 'top hat' design. Still others use a kit available from Jet that installs a metal baffle that looks sorta like an upside down Wok that is supposed to serve the same function. It looks like you have windows which is a major plus. More light is better.

Matt Day
04-14-2015, 11:50 AM
I currently have ... all the smaller tools you would ever need".

You're going to eat those words in the near future ;-)

Jim Dwight
04-14-2015, 4:04 PM
Those are nice tools and a pretty good sized workspace. My shop garage is 14x24 and definitely challenged at times for space. One tool I hope you got from DeWalt is a tracksaw. A Rigid 3650 has limited rip capacity but with a tracksaw it won't be an issue. The track saw also needs less space to rip up plywood. I have a DeWalt tracksaw and like it a lot.