PDA

View Full Version : Taxes

Brad Adams
04-13-2015, 8:01 PM
So how many of you have waited until the last minute to get your taxes done?
Just got back from the accountant myself.

Pat Barry
04-13-2015, 8:30 PM
What have you been waiting for? Me, I'm an early bird. E filed them last night, right after the Masters

Dipan Patel
04-13-2015, 8:32 PM
Not only do I wait until the last minute, I file for an extension every year. I also overpay every year so it's not like I'm depriving Uncle Sam of interest...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2015, 8:43 PM
I intentionally over pay each year. I would rather they owe me than me owe them and have to come up with the money at the last moment. I got my refunds a couple weeks ago.

David Masters
04-13-2015, 10:01 PM
I'm early this year, I just walked them down to the mailbox. Unlike Ken, I unintentionally over paid this year. I like to run a deficit just like Congress.

Jim Koepke
04-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Like many others we prefer the IRS send us a check than us having to send them one.

We usually like to get our taxes done early but due to having to wait for some late forms we didn't file until last week.

jtk

Steve Peterson
04-13-2015, 10:08 PM
I am taking a small break from working on mine right now. All of the calculations are done, I just need to transcribe the numbers to the official forms.

Steve

Chris Padilla
04-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Turbo Tax user and I always try to owe but balancing state and fed is something I've yet to figure out. I owe $1.8k to fed but $1.6k refund from California so I guess ultimately I owe. :) Got my state refund a couple weeks ago...fed gets theirs on Wednesday. :)

Bruce Page
04-13-2015, 10:56 PM
I got my refunds several weeks ago. Like Ken, I don't like surprises so I over pay a little every year.

Tom Stenzel
04-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Normally I paid the bills and did the taxes but when I started chemo my wife took over the bill paying. I still did the taxes but now don't know where all the needed receipts are.

I had the forms all finished and filled out, then my wife would say, "Did you include the money we spent on XYZ?". Well, of course not, is there a receipt someplace? Then when she would find where she put the papers and I would redo the forms. This happened three times.

I thought I was ALL DONE yet again and had it ready to mail Satuirday. What shows up in the mail? A 2014 1099-MISC (postmarked April 9th). More work for the shredder, more forms to fill out. Had I sent them in sooner I would have had to send in an amended return. And probably pay a fine even though I was blindsided with a late 1099. For an amount that I'm contesting; I'm not sure if I ever got that money.

I mailed all that junk today before I looked in the mailbox for more garbage to arrive!

-Tom

Bert Kemp
04-13-2015, 11:51 PM
I efiled mine last week but my neighbor came knocking on my door at 8 this morning with a smile on her face and paper in her hand. Do you know how to do taxes she says, so I invited her in gave her a cup of coffee and down we sat at the computer, a pot of coffee and 2 hours later I e filed her taxes, she was happy $844 fed refund and $44 from the state, now she's gonna take me out to dinner. :) So I'm happy too.

dennis thompson
04-14-2015, 5:43 AM
Owed a lot of money:(, so I mailed them in yesterday, thanks to Turbo Tax I'm still able to do them myself, but it sure get's more complicated each year.

Gary Yoder
04-14-2015, 5:58 AM
I guess I'm the odd one here, but I filed my taxes toward the beginning of march. I hate having those things hanging over my head.

Rich Riddle
04-14-2015, 6:01 AM
We get K-3's every year which arrive AFTER April 15 every year so that means we file an extension every year. Sounds silly but the government acknowledges that it allows folks to send out K-3's after April 15. We have to pay estimated quarterly taxes for January through March 2015 tomorrow so that's always fun.

Dan Hintz
04-14-2015, 6:51 AM
I efiled mine last week but my neighbor came knocking on my door at 8 this morning with a smile on her face and paper in her hand. Do you know how to do taxes she says

Ugh... nothing like waiting until the last minute and not even knowing if it can be done. What if you couldn't help her? <sigh>

John Coloccia
04-14-2015, 7:04 AM
I always wait until the last minute, and always try to owe them just a little bit. Why should I loan the government money? I'd invest in bonds if I wanted to do that...at least I'd make a little that way.

Brian Tymchak
04-14-2015, 8:20 AM
I rough ours out in mid February with Turbo Tax, then let them sit until end of March before I mail them in. I'm usually within a few hundred bucks of the target, so I don't sweat it either way.

BTW,we here in OH-IO now have this arrangement where you might be selected to take a quiz to verify your identity to get your state refund. They contracted with Lexis-Nexis to come up with quiz questions like "which is your phone number from when you lived at <xxx address> in 1985?" (a real question a friend of mine at work was faced with..) There have been cases where the database is wrong (imagine that..) and people have to submit records and wait an extra month or 2 get their refunds.

glenn bradley
04-14-2015, 8:27 AM
They have your money. Why would you let them keep it any longer than they already do? I file ASAP and hate the fact that some forms do not have to be delivered to me until late into March. How do we get that changed? I want to file January 2nd. This is moot if you are lucky enough to owe them something. If that's the case, file late. :)

George Bokros
04-14-2015, 8:38 AM
I thought I was ALL DONE yet again and had it ready to mail Satuirday. What shows up in the mail? A 2014 1099-MISC (postmarked April 9th).
-Tom

I used to prepare taxes part time for an accountant. I thought all 1099's had to be mailed by the end of February.

David Masters
04-14-2015, 8:54 AM
Institutions can be granted an extension by the IRS. I had one this year that mailed them out at the end of March. Their reason was that tax information for certain investments were still fluctuating, and rather than send out 1099's that they knew were going to have to be revised, they opted to get an extension from the IRS.

Jerry Thompson
04-14-2015, 9:17 AM
I am always happy to owe the IRS a little. I don't want them to have my extra with holding for free.

Bill McNiel
04-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Extensions every year. Procrastination is my bread & butter.

Steve Peterson
04-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Turbo Tax user and I always try to owe but balancing state and fed is something I've yet to figure out.

I assume around $1100 per extra deduction claimed. The logic is that each deduction will reduce your taxable income by $3950. In a 28% tax bracket, this will reduce your tax burden by $1106.

So if you expect a $3000 refund, you may be close to balanced if you claim 3 extra dependents. I think you can claim up to 20 dependents even if you don't have any children. But, there may be a penalty if you claim too many and owe too much at the end of the year.

Note: I am not a tax accountant and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Steve

Erik Loza
04-14-2015, 12:40 PM
We always do ours early but pay at the last moment. Need to write that check tonight, in fact.

Erik

Steve Peterson
04-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Owed a lot of money:(, so I mailed them in yesterday, thanks to Turbo Tax I'm still able to do them myself, but it sure get's more complicated each year.

No kidding, it gets more complicated each year. I do my own manually by downloading the blank forms and filling in the numbers. I am fairly good with numbers, but the convoluted way that they write the equations is extremely frustrating to me.

The worst example is the long term capital gains that are taxed at a different rate than normal income. The long term numbers get added in to your taxable income on the first page, but there is not a single calculation that takes place without subtracting it back out. Many calculations send you to a separate worksheet to subtract it away and calculate it at a different rate.

Steve

Mark Patoka
04-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Had mine completed in March once all the paperwork came in but waited until last week to efile because I owed both Fed and State. Otherwise I like to get them done as quickly as possible and be done with it.

Tom Stenzel
04-14-2015, 2:42 PM
I used to prepare taxes part time for an accountant. I thought all 1099's had to be mailed by the end of February.

The outfit that sent it has plenty of good lawyers. If there's a way to send late and legally get away with it they will find it.

Another problem I had was a check that came from an annuity fund. I was in a two week long inpatient chemo treatment, my wife asked about it but I didn't have any sense at all. (OK, not that anything has changed much since!). She cashed the check.

Of course at tax time, turns out it was an early disbursement and subject to a penalty. One long form and lots of computation calisthenics later, I had to pay the penalty- ONE WHOLE DOLLAR. These penalties are KILLING ME!

-Tom

Brian Henderson
04-14-2015, 5:22 PM
Not I, my taxes were in by the end of January, had my refund by the middle of February.

Phil Stone
04-14-2015, 5:36 PM
Just finished mine this weekend, using TaxAct for the first time after years of using TurboTax. The last straw for me with TurboTax (aside from them lobbying the government to scuttle simpler filing proposals) was them warning me that if I didn't file by a certain date (a couple of weeks ago) my software cost would go up even more. TurboTax last year (home and small business, two states): $225. TaxAct this year: $40. TaxAct had a little less hand-holding, especially on things like depreciation, but all in all, it worked out great, and will be even easier next year.

I sure resented losing most of a weekend to this chore, though. I don't really mind paying taxes, but I do mind paying to pay taxes, if you know what I mean (whether it's time or money). I've got a workbench to finish!

Brian Elfert
04-14-2015, 6:14 PM
I used to get a small refund from the IRS, but now I have to pay in every year. I already made an estimated payment in 2014 and thought I would owe more. I realized I could get the $500 energy credit so now I am getting a refund I am applying to my 2015 taxes. My deductions have decreased due to a smaller mortgage.

George Bokros
04-14-2015, 6:40 PM
My ability to itemize went away when the mortgage interest got minimal.

Rich Engelhardt
04-14-2015, 7:07 PM
My ability to itemize went away when the mortgage interest got minimal.That's the main reason we got started with the rentals. Next time we go to lunch I'll bend your ear on how and why we got into the rental business.

Bert Kemp
04-14-2015, 11:04 PM
No going out to dinner for me I guess :(

Ugh... nothing like waiting until the last minute and not even knowing if it can be done. What if you couldn't help her? <sigh>

Belinda Barfield
04-15-2015, 2:13 PM
Just, five minutes ago, finished stuffing the envelops. The SO and I filed for extensions and wrote large (to me) checks for 2014, and wrote checks for 2015 estimated taxes. Being partners in multiple business ventures this year really hit hard. I'm just thankful that we made enough money to owe taxes. Weird way to look at it, but .. .

Charles Wiggins
04-15-2015, 5:37 PM
The term "waited" implies that it was an intentional choice.

I e-filed about 10 PM on Monday night, which was the earliest I could get them done because every time I needed information from LOML she was not available. BTW, I also did my step-son's and my BIL's, and part of the FIL's. Never finished my FIL's taxes because he passed a few weeks back and the only reason he was filing is because he had to prove he had insurance.

The fact that we do my BIL's taxes are what astounds me. They are way simpler than ours, plus HE'S A FREAKIN' ACCOUNTANT! He paid us to do it, but it would have been cheaper and faster for him to buy the software and do it himself. Shoot, if I had his taxes I'd still be doing them on paper for free!

Jim Becker
04-16-2015, 9:10 PM
I intentionally over pay each year. I would rather they owe me than me owe them and have to come up with the money at the last moment. I got my refunds a couple weeks ago.
I'm just the opposite...I always owe just a little bit. I don't prefer lending my money at zero percent interest to anybody... ;)

As to filing. I did my taxes on Sunday, eFiled the Federal and sent out the small checks on Tuesday.

Dennis Aspö
04-20-2015, 4:47 AM
My taxes where done online and took 5 minutes to fill in my deductions (travel expenses), the rest was just checking all the other stuff was correct, which it was.