PDA

View Full Version : a real nice powermatic 66

mark kosse
04-13-2015, 2:51 PM
A 1977 model i picked up recently. PO said it was bought in San Diego, moved to Portland, then to Ohio and finally here to Houston. Very few scratches for time and mileage. It was used though. I was told it cut 1" aluminum plate at one time. PO was a tool maker/machinist.

Sorry about that first pic. It's upright on my PC.

Hope you like it. I'm stoked.

even the motor was clean
and the underside of the wings

Matt Day
04-13-2015, 3:14 PM
Looks pretty sweet! Great condition from what I can see for a 35+yo machine.

Chuck Hart
04-13-2015, 3:29 PM
Good find. It looks really well taken care of paint wise. How's the motor? Looks like all the cast iron is good and the wiring looks redone. Traveled well, lot of truck miles on that one. Good job.

Chuck

scott spencer
04-13-2015, 3:48 PM
Sweet! ........

Kent A Bathurst
04-13-2015, 4:15 PM
Way cool..........care to share the purchase price with us?

You may be a candidate for Harold's "You Suck" post.

Tom M King
04-13-2015, 5:19 PM
Great find. I was not happy when they changed the color from green to baby>>>>

mark kosse
04-13-2015, 6:20 PM
Thanks for the replies and Chris, thanks for straitening out the pic.

It was decent deal. I originally met the owner 5 years ago picking up a Rucker for a fellow owwm'er. The PO told me he'd sell the saw but wasn't ready yet. I kept in contact for about 3 years but he never was ready to give it up. I just don't like to bother folks so I gave up. Like as will probably happen to me with this saw, someone had to pry his cold hands from it. His wife contacted me about a month ago with the news. A real shame because he was a fascinating and inventive man that I would have liked to have known better.

The saw also came with the original guard and wrench. It is just so clean I had to share with others.

Scott Hearn
04-13-2015, 6:26 PM
You can tell he took he took pride in it and took care of it. Look at that table! Probably the toolmaker/machinist had something to do with that too. Congrats, you don't find them like this every day. Thanks for posting.

Kent A Bathurst
04-13-2015, 6:44 PM
Thanks for the replies and Chris, thanks for straitening out the pic. It was decent deal.

I originally met the owner 5 years ago picking up a Rucker for a fellow owwm'er. The PO told me he'd sell the saw but wasn't ready yet. I kept in contact for about 3 years but he never was ready to give it up. I just don't like to bother folks so I gave up. Like as will probably happen to me with this saw, someone had to pry his cold hands from it. His wife contacted me about a month ago with the news. A real shame because he was a fascinating and inventive man I would have liked to have known better.

The saw also came with the original guard and wrench. It is just so clean I had to share with others.

And it is in the perfect home - some one who knew him, and respected him. Very nice of the widow to know to call you.

You will be honoring him every time you fire that puppy up.

Nicely done, Sir.

And you are correct - there is a good amount of stuff in my hands - as others here - which will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. That's cool. That's how the cosmos works.

Don Jarvie
04-13-2015, 6:46 PM
Nice saw. Did it come with the motor cover? I made a crappy one out of sheet metal but it might be worth looking for an original one.

Doug Ladendorf
04-13-2015, 6:56 PM
Well done Mark. It doesn't get much prettier than that. There is a lot to say for someone who knows how to maintain his machines. Enjoy.

Doug

Oh, if you want to add a motor cover you could always post in BOYD, but I was able to make a PM2000 cover work after fabricating a hinge so that may also be an option.

Matt Hardy
04-13-2015, 8:08 PM
Very nice find.

Paul McGaha
04-13-2015, 8:40 PM
Very nice Mark. Congratulations.

PHM

Jesse Busenitz
04-13-2015, 8:48 PM
Nice saw, and in super condition. I have two 66's but neither close to that shape.

mark kosse
04-13-2015, 9:20 PM
It did. Some pics don't have it but if you look behind the starter in pic 2 you'll see the cover. The saw even came with the original manual. You really just kind of expect that from a man who kept his saw so nice. What was amazing was that his wife knew to get the manual and guard out for me since they weren't with the saw. I didn't even ask, but I was going to.

jesse, I have two also. My older one is a '66/66. It has been rode hard and put up wet as we say here. In such bad shape I never started it, partly because it's 3ph. I thought about redoing it but it's Rough! I bought it for the unifence mounted on it. I'll probably end up putting the unifence on a uni and a biesemeyer on this 66. It does have nice chrome hand wheels on it. I thought about putting those on this saw but karma said no.

Martin Wasner
04-13-2015, 11:58 PM
That baby is mint! I don't care for those fences, but it's in phenomenal condition.

Edward Oleen
04-23-2015, 2:38 AM
SWMBO is shopping for a mail-order life boat - to be delivered IMMEDIATELY.

She says my drool is about to swamp the entire house.

What a beauty. And by the way - Aluminum isn't that hard to cut. I've cut Al plate on my TS - I just use a cheap ww blade, rather than my expensive RCT TS2000. DON'T use a ferrous cutting blade - it isn't needed. And a metal cutting blade supposedly isn't needed on the BS, though I haven't tried it.

David Spurr
04-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Wish mine looked that good when I bought it. $400 piece of junk turned into a thousand dollar restoration and now runs like a dream. Congrats.