PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Product Safety Commission Surveying Table Saw Owners

Paul Wunder
04-13-2015, 1:48 PM
According to an advertisement in the May issue of Family Handyman, the Westat Corp has been hired by the CPSC to survey owners of table saws purchased since 2009 (isn't that the first year that riving knives were mandatory).

They want volunteers (must qualify) for a 25 minute survey for which you will be paid $50.

It sounds like the CPSC is still working the issue of table safety.

Does anyone have any more info on this topic?

Mike Henderson
04-13-2015, 1:54 PM
Do you have a link to the place where they'er looking for volunteers?

Mike

Art Mann
04-13-2015, 2:02 PM
Whatever it is the CPSC is trying to prove, I am certain they will be successful.

John McClanahan
04-13-2015, 2:42 PM
My PM 66 doesn't have a riving knife. I drove for over 25 years without ABS. Haven't tried the air bag yet, so I can't comment on that one. Big brother makes me wear a seat belt, but I don't know if it really works. ;)

John

cody michael
04-13-2015, 3:22 PM
My PM 66 doesn't have a riving knife. I drove for over 25 years without ABS. Haven't tried the air bag yet, so I can't comment on that one. Big brother makes me wear a seat belt, but I don't know if it really works. ;)

John

My unisaw saw doesn't have a riving knife and I don't have ABS. so ditto

scott spencer
04-13-2015, 3:50 PM
I saw this in our local CL, and called. I did not qualify for the survey because my saw is a 2008 model....I can only guess that they're looking for 2009 or newer.

Mike Chalmers
04-13-2015, 4:11 PM
I saw this in our local CL, and called. I did not qualify for the survey because my saw is a 2008 model....I can only guess that they're looking for 2009 or newer.

As stated in the original post.

Kent A Bathurst
04-13-2015, 4:13 PM
Whatever it is the CPSC is trying to prove, I am certain they will be successful.

A wise man - very wise - once told me: "You can torture the data until it confesses".

Wade Lippman
04-13-2015, 5:45 PM

John

Seat belts work exactly as they are supposed to, as does ABS.
There is an enormous difference between those and Sawstop; implying there isn't is just foolish.

But I agree with you about big brother and seat belts. There shouldn't be a law on it; insurance should just should not have to pay out if you chose not to wear them.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2015, 6:14 PM
This thread is closed. History has shown that this subject can't be discussed without zealots on both sides of the issue becoming out of control.