PDA

View Full Version : 14" Bandsaw

David Perkins
06-02-2003, 9:51 PM
I am in the market for a 14" band saw. Has anyone had any experience with the HF 14" saw? I am looking for comments good, bad or indifferent. I am currently using a 12" 3 wheel delta saw with no problems except its limited power and size.
Thank's David

Jim Becker
06-02-2003, 10:15 PM
The 14" (4-speed) HFT Band Saw has generally had favorable comments over time in another forum I frequent. It's one of three such tools they sell (DP and 34706 lathe are the other two)...everything else is to be avoided by more folks thinking. But you may want to look at the new Grizzly14" G0555 BS currently on sale for $375. Should you ever need parts or want a riser kit in the future, you are more likely to be helped by that big bear...

Ben Nothstein
06-03-2003, 12:17 PM
as Jim stated there are a lot of Happy Buyers over at woodnet that just love that saw, a buddy of mine bought one & likes it,it just doesnt compare to my Delta 14" thou..

ToolDoc

Ron McNeil
06-03-2003, 4:09 PM
David,

I purchased my 14" Closed Stand Jet Band Saw from General Industrial Supply. It was a scratch and dent model and I swear it looked better than some brand new models sold new. It cost me $420.00 and was shipped by Willson Trucking( which was a first class trucking operation) and they provided a lift gate truck at no extra cost. I am very pleased with the Jet 14" band saw. I would suggest that you at least call ( 615-256-2220) and ask for Larry Gray he is a very nice guy and he will answer any and all questions you have. I've purchased 4 major tools from them and have been very satisified with each one. I'm not affiliated with this company but am a very happy customer.

Sam Chambers
06-03-2003, 11:05 PM
David:

I bought the same Jet saw from the same place as Ron, except I was able to go pick it up in person and save the shipping cost. He's right - definitely give them a call and see what they can do for you. Good machines at great prices, and nice folks.

The only downside of buying a "scratch & dent" machine from General Industrial is that the manufacturer's warranty is no good. GI does give you a warranty, but it's shorter and the work has to be done by them. (I haven't needed to use them for any warranty work, but I'd bet that if you could identify the part that was bad, they'd probably be willing to send it to you.)

I've been happy with my 14" Jet so far.

Rick Potter
06-04-2003, 3:51 AM
You might check out Delta's new 14" saw. They now have one made in China that Lowes offers for $399. I just bought one for my son in law, and he likes it very much so far.....just a few days.

It has a 4" cast-in dust collection port, and a quick release lever for blade tension, plus neoprene tires.

Rick Potter

PS: Lowes gives a 10% discount to military personnel. My son in law just got back from being called up, and this was his coming home present.