PDA

View Full Version : Just bought some new gear!

Scott Hackler
04-13-2015, 12:19 AM
I went to an auction this weekend. This fella had a small cabinet shop and all the tools were auctioned off as he was retiring. So I bought home an older Powermatic 66 2hp model and a homebuilt router table that has 2 Hitachi 3 1/4 routers mounted under it! Got the saw for $600 and the router setup for $400. Not a fantastic deal on the routers but the deals I got ont the other odds and ends made up for it in a big way. I spent the day clearing out a path to remove the old 10" Craftsman saw and move the Powermatic inside. Sure am glad to own a Bobcat with forks! That saw is a little heavy. Anyway... I have to go to the store tomorrow and get 12' of 12/2 G cord to exchange the current (too short anyway) 14/2 cord that was on it. I might want to upgrade to a 3hp motor someday so I might as well do it right from the beginning. I think I will end up scrapping the home built router table and add a wing with router plates on the table saw, to save space.

Seems like I should be standing at the lathe, but I still do a lot of flat work so ANY new (to me) woodworking tools are exciting. I can't wait to rip some oak without stopping the saw!

Bruce Page
04-13-2015, 12:45 AM
You know the rules - no pic, didn't happen!

Charles Lent
04-13-2015, 4:59 PM
You should be buying 12/3 cable, not 12/2 (if they still make 12/2). You need the ground wire too - black = hot, white = neutral, green = ground. If you wire it for 240 volts put some electrical tape around the ends of the white wire to legally change it's color to black to use as the second hot.

Charley

Doug Ladendorf
04-13-2015, 7:08 PM
Nema 12/2 has ground. It's actually three wire and what I used for my 2HP PM 66. Good tip on the black tape marking the white wire.

Congrats on the score Scott! Every turner needs a good table saw and now you are set. Should be a great upgrade. Be sure to post pix. Doug

Scott Hackler
04-13-2015, 8:54 PM
IT'S ALIVE!!! Replaced the cord when I got home (12/3 G, even though I didn't need the neutral... I thought I might use it later to put a router station off the right wing and it's not much more than 12/2 in price). Greased up the tilt gear teeth, leveled up the wings and sprayed it all down with ProGlide. Boy does it "sing" took a little time to adjust the inch indicator to the blade I installed and am very pleased with my purchase. It might be old, but this ole girl will likely outlive me!

Bruce Page
04-13-2015, 11:05 PM
I went from a Craftsman contractor saw to a Unisaw 15 years ago and I still smile every time I hit the green button. You'll be smiling too.
Congrats!