PDA

View Full Version : need a little hinge help

John Loftis
04-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Hi folks, I'm building a pantry for a customer who wants full overlay doors (face frame) and pull-out drawers in the pantry. There's a fridge one one side of the pantry and a wall on the other, so we've only got about 110 degrees to work with, but I need the doors to kick out of the way so the drawers can slide out freely.

This might be called a 'zero protrusion' hinge, but I'm not sure about that. If that's the type I need, I see that blum and salice make a 155ish degree hinge, but I'm concerned that the doors won't be clear if they are only opened 110 degrees.

Anybody out there a Hinge Whisperer that can help?

Thanks much,
John

Gene Davis
04-12-2015, 10:57 PM
Go download document, the full line brochure for Blum concealed hinges, and look carefully at page 78.

Have you used this wonderful resource before? It'll make you a hinge whisperer.

Jamie Buxton
04-12-2015, 11:19 PM
The usual treatment for pullouts is that you make them narrow enough to clear the doors and hinges -- wherever they happen to come out. You add blocks on the inside walls of the cabinet to get the slides out to where they touch the pullout. In the Blum literature, when you look at specific hinges, you'll see dimensions of interior clearances (usually S and P). One is the clearance to the opened door. The other is the clearance past the hinge hardware itself.

John Loftis
04-13-2015, 1:17 AM
Gene, looks like the zero protrusion Blum's will work fine at 90 degrees. Thanks.

Jamie, great solution if I couldn't find a hinge that would work. And I didn't know about S and P. Thanks for that.

Jamie Buxton
04-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Blums' zero protrusion hinges do get the door out of the way, but the hinge itself still protrudes into the cabinet opening.

Martin Wasner
04-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Blums' zero protrusion hinges do get the door out of the way, but the hinge itself still protrudes into the cabinet opening.

Place the hinge out of the way then.

If you've got a 4" tall roll out tray, put the hinge up 6".

On overlay stuff, I've used a 170º Blum hinge in the past with good results. They are bulky, and expensive compared to a more standard hinge, but the door lays almost flat to the adjacent cabinet. I'm not sure I've tried it on inset.