PDA

View Full Version : Making a swivel hinge for box

Earl Eyre
08-06-2005, 3:49 PM
I have gotten involved in the Turner's Forum but it was suggested that I post this question over here and I may get more response.

I plan to turn some boxes approx 5" round. I will then take 1/4" flat stock, turn round to make a lid to match the box, and use my scroll saw to cut a pattern into the lid using a fret work pattern of some sort. I want to then insert a brass rod into the lid and into the turned box for a hinge. The lid will swing or swivel horizontally to the box. Make sense? My question is how do you insert the pin into the box to hold it securely while allowing it to swivel? Is it just held in by friction? I've seen bandsawn boxes with that kind of hinge but I can't find any info on the internet and our small town does not have woodworking books. Thanks.

Earl
<!-- / message -->

Dave Richards
08-08-2005, 1:57 PM
Years ago I made some boxes with a swiveling lid. I cut the bottom off the box prior to drilling a hole through it for the pin. Then I counterbored the hole at the bottom to provide clearance for a small washer and cross pin. After assembling the pivot pin and inserting it from the bottom, I glued the bottom back in place. After finishing the box and the lid separately, I epoxied the lid to the brass pivot. I put a thin nylon washer between the lid and box so that the lid wouldn't eat at the box as it was opened.

To limit the swing of the lid I've omtted the flat washer in the counterbore and set a brad or two into the wood for the cross pin to fetch up against.

Before epoxying the lid to the brass rod, add some texture to the rod by clamping it hard with a vise grip or filing notches in it.

I also don't think it is the end of the world if the lid and the brass pin can be lifted off the box.

Michael Stafford
08-08-2005, 2:05 PM
Depending on how tall your box is gonna be you can just use aluminum or stainless steel nails. I have used this technique on some swivel lid boxes I have made.

Locate on the bottom of the box your swivel point/s. Drill a hole large enough and deep enough to accommodate the head of the nail. Sometimes I would reduce the diameter of the nail by grinding it smaller. Next locate your lid and tape it in place so it cannot move. Using a drill bit the same size or slightly larger than your chosen nail drill through the sides of the body of the box and into your lid as deeply as you dare. Check the fit of your nail and drill more deeply as necessary. When you are finally ready to assemble the box put a dot of epoxy in the hole in the lid and push the nail up into the hole. Make sure no squeeze out gets on the body of the box or it will not swivel. :eek: DAMHIKT :o

Then is just a matter of whittling a little dowel to fill in the countersink on the bottom like a plug and done carefully no one but your hairdresser will know... :rolleyes: :D

One reason I don't use steel nails is that they can cause a black stain to show up with woods with any amount of tannin....Most unsightly.... :(