PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box Lining

Herb Smith
04-12-2015, 5:44 PM
Not sure if this is the proper forum, so please move if needed.

I'm making a small box (16x12) which will most likely be used for jewelry. The box is cherry with a plywood bottom but now I'm thinking that the bottom should be covered with something and that is my question. What are your suggestions for the material to use for covering the bottom? I can think of felt, but is there something better to use. I imagine the covering will just be glued to the bottom. The box, sans lid, is already assembled. Thanks for your help

Dimitrios Fradelakis
04-12-2015, 5:46 PM
Self adhesive felt would be my material of choice. Post some pictures of the box :)

Dan Hahr
04-12-2015, 7:20 PM
Velvet. Make a flat-ish cushion for it with some 1/8th hardboard and cover it with velvet material.

Dan

Bryan Wiesendahl
04-12-2015, 7:42 PM
Leather can make a good box liner, as well. Lots of textures and colours to choose from!

Mike Chalmers
04-12-2015, 7:48 PM
I would flock it.

Steven Wheeler
04-12-2015, 7:50 PM
I've switched to Donjer Flocking, you can find it a Woodcraft. You apply a colored adhesive and then the same color fibers. It leaves a nice tight even surface that looks so much richer than felt.

Steve

Cody Colston
04-12-2015, 7:52 PM
Another vote for Donjer flocking.

Bill Huber
04-12-2015, 8:50 PM
I vote for the Velvet, I think it is a lot nicer then the flocking, I have done both and I just like the look and feel of the velvet.

I made 2 boxes and put the velvet in them and they really looked good. I got some heavy card type stock and folded the velvet over and glued it on the back, made a panel with it, then put it in the bottom and in the tray.

John Sincerbeaux
04-12-2015, 11:08 PM
I make a lot of boxes and I spare no expense to achieve the sharpest, most professional result possible inside and out. For me there are only two choices that are acceptable for my boxes. My first choice is suede fabric (most expensive) you can buy at most fabric stores. Suede fabric is actually synthetic but feels and looks exactly like real suede. It won't damage jewelry as real suede or leather might. It is what jewelry stores use to line their display cases. I use matte board panels for every space to be covered with either the suede or velvet. My second choice is velvet. I cut each panel slightly undersized to allow for the thickness of the fabric. I actually use my table saw to cut the matte board. I use spray adhesive to stick the fabric to the matte board, then to the jewelry box and tray compartments. Only spray the adhesive to the panels, NOT the box.
Velvet is a lot fussier. I only use adhesive on the backside of the panels when using velvet to prevent wrinkles. There are some tricks to quickly and efficiently manage the process. If anyone is interested I can provide more info.

Jeffrey Martel
04-13-2015, 12:57 AM
I've always used a nice high quality velvet. Just cut a sheet of cardstock or posterboard to about 1/16" undersized in both dimensions, and then use spray adhesive to attach the velvet to the cardstock. Drop it in the bottom after spraying the back side and you're good.

Larry Heflin
04-13-2015, 4:05 AM
Just finished three jewelry boxes lined with red velvet mounted on poster board with spray adhesive. Also mounted it on 1/2 inch foam core board for raised sections within the dividers. Looked very nice. I'll have to have a look at suede fabric and maybe give it a try next time.

Al Launier
04-13-2015, 6:38 AM
I like to use velvet with the adhesive backing. The velvet sheets at Rocklers come in 12" x 24" sheets which would be large enough for the box you are making. (http://www.rockler.com/self-adhesive-velvet-choose-velvet-color).

Mike Null
04-13-2015, 6:43 AM
I am a fan of faux suede as mentioned earlier. It looks and feels like leather only better. I use card stock and spray adhesive to mount the fabric and fix it in place.

richard poitras
04-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Pig skin is nice as well, comes in a lot of colors..

Mike Henderson
04-13-2015, 2:00 PM
I've always used a nice high quality velvet. Just cut a sheet of cardstock or posterboard to about 1/16" undersized in both dimensions, and then use spray adhesive to attach the velvet to the cardstock. Drop it in the bottom after spraying the back side and you're good.

Great idea about putting it on cardstock before putting in the box. I've done felt in the past and would cut the felt to size, spray adhesive on it and then install it - but having it on cardstock would make the job much easier.

Mike

John Cole
04-13-2015, 4:49 PM
I use, leather, suede, or cork, typically glued onto the bottom before assembly using contact adhesive.

Matt Krusen
04-13-2015, 4:54 PM
I like flocking. Seems to always turn out nicely. Velvet and cork are nice as well. I did a jewelry box last year and actually used a piece of burlap-like fabric that my fiancé liked and I think it turned out kinda cool.

Herb Smith
04-16-2015, 7:08 AM
Thanks for all the assistance. Has anyone ever used anti-tarnish cloth (here is a link from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tarnish-Free-Silver-Cloth-Anti-tarnish/dp/B001OQU0YU)?