PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Adjuster Removal Tool?

Derek Arita
04-12-2015, 5:06 PM
I've been using a nail set to partially remove Y lever and lateral adjuster. What are the proper tools and their sizes, to use when removing and installing these parts? Resetting that lateral adjuster rivet is tough!

bridger berdel
04-12-2015, 6:02 PM
Peened rivets like that usually have to have their heads ground off to be removed safely. So replacing them involves a new rivet and a bit of careful peening.

Derek Arita
04-12-2015, 6:32 PM
Peened rivets like that usually have to have their heads ground off to be removed safely. So replacing them involves a new rivet and a bit of careful peening.

Tools required, please?

lowell holmes
04-12-2015, 6:37 PM
I would probably grind the rivet head with dremel if I wanted to grind it. A small flat file will probably take the rivet off.

steven c newman
04-12-2015, 7:05 PM
Or just a drill bit.

Jim Koepke
04-12-2015, 7:17 PM
Derek,

It is my suggestion you read this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373-Fettling-A-Plane-from-Junker-to-Jointer

If you are in a hurry, scroll down to the 8th post in the thread, "I'm in love with a big blue frog." It shows one method to remove the pin from the lateral adjuster. It also shows a method of reinstallation.

If you plane is of later manufacture and uses a rivet that is peened over, you will need to use a grinder or a file.

jtk