PDA

View Full Version : White side Ultimate Trim bit

bob cohen
04-12-2015, 1:09 PM
Wow! I have been eyeing these pricey (~$145 each for top and bottom bearing versions, UDP9112 and UDFT9112, respectively) spiral pattern bits for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge. They work as well as advertised. Absolutely no tear out on cherry or mahogany and super smooth overall finish, with no burn marks! They are 7/8" diameter and allow you to take a pretty aggressive cut, which means I could cut well outside (1/16-1'8 inch) my line when rough cutting on my bandsaw. I feel like this was one of my better purchase decisions (Admittedly, I do a lot of template routing). I will take good care of these and hope they last a long time. BTW, I do not work for Whiteside, nor do I own any of their stock. Just impressed with the product and want to pass on the good word.

Allan Speers
04-12-2015, 1:56 PM
Bob,

I am just in the process of finding the best straight bit for edge jointing, which of course is slightly different from your application. I initially thought that a compound bit such as you are reviewing would be set, since it leaves the best top & bottom edges. However, both Pat Warner & now Whiteside themselves have said that these bits leave a very small hollow down the center. Whiteside calls it a "witness line."

Are you seeing this? In your application, does it bother you? (or worth the tradeoff, for those great edges?)

bob cohen
04-12-2015, 10:15 PM
I did not notice, but I was only interested in a smooth curve, which I got. None of the curved surfaces were used for joinery. I will go back to the piece tomorrow and Kopf for what you and others have described. I already sanded though, so I might have removed the witness lines. I can tell you that it must have been subtle

glenn bradley
04-13-2015, 1:03 AM
Thanks for the review on these Bob. I have been looking them over for a while now. Nice to hear from someone who has actually used them.