PDA

View Full Version : Delta 735 feed tables

Rick Johnston
04-12-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm about to start the machine for the first time. I've read discussion about the feed tables. Mostly to raise a penny in height. The tables have a slot to raise/lower the tables. As a starting point where should the feed tables be in relation to the flat surface under the cutter head? Both the in and out feed. I'm sure each machine has its own preference.

Allan Speers
04-12-2015, 2:07 PM
I'm about to start the machine for the first time. I've read discussion about the feed tables. Mostly to raise a penny in height. The tables have a slot to raise/lower the tables. As a starting point where should the feed tables be in relation to the flat surface under the cutter head? Both the in and out feed. I'm sure each machine has its own preference.

Rick, I'm far from an expert, but I've always read to raise the OUT-feed table, not both feed tables. That way, the rollers push down a hair when the end of your stock feeds through.

Some folks just "lift up" their stock manual as it reaches the end. On my little Makita 2012 lunchbox, I put a thin sheet of UHMW plastic on the back half of the out feed table, and the tiny bit of snipe I was getting disappeared.

Of course, YMMV, and probably will.

Rick Johnston
04-12-2015, 4:58 PM
A little more work on my part says the planer table and the feed tables should be at the same elevation. The ends of table feeds should be adjusted a penny's thickness higher / for a slight tilt up.

Jim Mackell
04-12-2015, 6:17 PM
A little more work on my part says the planer table and the feed tables should be at the same elevation. The ends of table feeds should be adjusted a penny's thickness higher / for a slight tilt up.

Any reliable source for that statement?

Joe Spear
04-12-2015, 9:05 PM
Any reliable source for that statement?

My experience (if you take it as reliable). When the ends of the tables are slightly higher, the ends of the board are moved down from the spinning blades and are more likely to avoid snipe. I do the same thing by lifting up on the trailing edge of the board on the entry side and lifting up on the leading side of the board on the exit side. If you don't support the free ends of the boards somehow, they tilt up into the cutting head, and you get snipe.

Myk Rian
04-12-2015, 9:18 PM
A Delta 735?

Rick Johnston
04-12-2015, 11:42 PM
Dewalt. The factory setting on the tables turned out to be about the penny. Ran a couple 10 foot maple boards and it worked perfectly.

Bruce Page
04-13-2015, 12:41 AM
A Delta 735?
Myk, it's the new hybrid everyone is talking about. :p

Bill White
04-13-2015, 9:23 AM
I plane just the way Mr. Spear does.
Bill