PDA

View Full Version : How have you sealed the MDF on your DC?

Jim O'Dell
08-06-2005, 3:15 PM
For those of you with the home built kit cyclones, how have you sealed the MDF parts of the blower housing? It looks like I might get to start assembling my ClearVue Cyclone this weekend, and since it is in a detached building, and not climate controlled, I'm worried about the MDF parts swelling in the humidity, then shrinking when it dries out and eventually turning to powder. I'm thinking of doing a couple coats of sanding sealer, then a couple coats of varnish. Do you think this would suffice? Is there something better to use? I didn't know if a coat of primer then paint would be too thick or not. Tempted to stain it, then seal it just to give it some color. I have some dark green stain that might look nice. Any ideas or thoughts??

Chris Fite
08-06-2005, 3:51 PM
The MDF frame and support on my DC has been sitting in my unheated, uncooled garage for three years without any problems with the MDF. We have our share of heat and cold and humidity here.

Chris Padilla
08-06-2005, 6:38 PM
Jim,

I with Chris...if the MDF is out of the sun and direct water contact, I think you'll be fine but if you want to seal it, get some cheap polyurethane and slop it on. You could also paint with any paint you have laying around hardening or pick up some cheap "foul up paint/discount paint" at the store. My local hardware store sets out cheap quarts and gallons of paint that is discontinued, mixed incorrectly, or whatever. It is pretty cheap.

Jim O'Dell
08-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys!! Even though it probably doesn't need anything, I'll rest easier if I put a coat or 2 of something on it. I found I have some water based poly and I'll probably use that, then start the installation process. I noticed that I didn't get the motor mounting hardware in my box...one e-mail to Ed at Clear Vue and within an hour I had a reply and it will be shipped out Monday. GREAT CS. Ed has always answered my emails promptly. Thanks again!!! Jim.