PDA

View Full Version : Has the quality of the Redsail or G.Weike's improved?

Dan Morphis
04-12-2015, 2:54 AM
I've done quite a bit of research on the Redsail and G.Weike laser cutters. As you already know a lot of the search results point to this forum.

I'm looking at either the G.Weike LC1390, or the Redsail M900 at 80 or 100W. I would like to do mainly cutting, and some engraving. I realize that the higher power stock tubes aren't great when run at a lower power to do the engraving. I plan to replace the tube with a higher quality one after I get things figured out.

I've seen a lot of posts from 2011 - 2013 mentioning defective units, bad power supplies, etc. I realize the software has quirks, but I'm a very technical person. I'm also confident in my abilities to diagnose and repair the machine. I have experience with CNC, so laser cutting doesn't scare me :).

Has anyone ordered one recently and what was your experience like? I've never imported anything from China, what was the process like? Did you use your own broker?

Is it possible to engrave tin? In the attached picture you will see the type of engraving I'd like to do on the tin. This was engraved by a router, and a friend would like to get it laser engraved. I realize that doing most metals on a laser this small is a big no no.

There is a port near by (Anchorage, Alaska) where I can pick the machine up at. Is it worth the extra money to have someone else deliver the machine? I realize the box is huge!

Thank you for your time and help!

-dan

Bill George
04-12-2015, 8:32 AM
I can't answer about engraving tin, or even marking using the Cermark spray. But I have a G.Weike Storm 500 (May 2014) a 35 now true 40 watt machine and aside from some loose wire connections its been fine. For someone techie and has the time, I would not be afraid to get a Chinese one. I got mine from http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/ a advertiser here. Or you could get one ordered from LightObject dot com.
Both those venders would act as brokers and ship direct to you.
For engraving you would not want more than 60 watts.

Dave Sheldrake
04-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Diagnose and repair is one thing but to be honest Weikes customer support for replacement / broken parts is filling up my inbox with unhappy customers of late.

Enough to make me say I wouldn't buy one of their machines if they were the only machines left on the planet!

Gary Hair
04-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Is it possible to engrave tin?

Not with a co2. Cermark works for some metals really well, but not for tin. To get any kind of mark you are going to need a fiber laser.

Matt McCoy
04-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Diagnose and repair is one thing but to be honest Weikes customer support for replacement / broken parts is filling up my inbox with unhappy customers of late.

Enough to make me say I wouldn't buy one of their machines if they were the only machines left on the planet!

Are these parts that can be sourced elsewhere?

Kev Williams
04-12-2015, 12:08 PM
as for 'engraving' with an 80 tube--

The 80w tube in my Triumph, like all other RECI's, has a test label on it. If memory serves, RECI tests there tubes at 30mA- anyway, mine tested at 110w..

I'm assuming that's normal, or maybe a bit high for an 80w tube?

Anyway-- I engrave Rowmark on the thing almost daily, at 13% power for the black/white stuff. The engraving is always perfect, no missed or 'overpowered' spots.
I do test engravings at 8% power on painters tape, with pretty much the same results.

Short version: I haven't tried engraving butterfly wings yet, but for pretty much everything else, I've had no problems with low-power engraving! ;)

Matt McCoy
04-12-2015, 12:47 PM
as for 'engraving' with an 80 tube--

The 80w tube in my Triumph, like all other RECI's, has a test label on it. If memory serves, RECI tests there tubes at 30mA- anyway, mine tested at 110w..

I'm assuming that's normal, or maybe a bit high for an 80w tube?

Anyway-- I engrave Rowmark on the thing almost daily, at 13% power for the black/white stuff. The engraving is always perfect, no missed or 'overpowered' spots.
I do test engravings at 8% power on painters tape, with pretty much the same results.

Short version: I haven't tried engraving butterfly wings yet, but for pretty much everything else, I've had no problems with low-power engraving! ;)

This mirrors my experience.

Chris Corwin
04-12-2015, 3:24 PM
The problem with my reci tube is the dot size. It's just too big even with a 2" lens. It's an 80w fat tube btw.

Bill George
04-12-2015, 4:38 PM
Are these parts that can be sourced elsewhere?

Yes, my machine uses parts that can be purchased anywhere. I think Dave is referring to build quality. I must have gotten a decent one, except for the loose connections and software learning issues for the operator. I did replace the tube after 5 months of use, but I tended to over drive it. I am like the OP pretty Teckie and experienced in CNC, perhaps with a guy off the street and his first laser it would be not so good.
Dave is pretty darn good with lasers and if he has suggestions, there must be a reason.

Kev Williams
04-12-2015, 11:11 PM
The problem with my reci tube is the dot size. It's just too big even with a 2" lens. It's an 80w fat tube btw.

1.5" focus lens on ebay, $14.97 & free shipping:

20mm-CO2-ZnSe-Laser-Collimating-Lens-Laser-Engraver-Cutter-Focus-38-1mm-1-5-/261541517511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce516d8c7
If that's not tight enough, how a 1" lens for $17.97?

20mm-CO2-ZnSe-Laser-Collimating-Lens-Laser-Engraver-Cutter-Focus-25-4mm-1-/261541520459?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce516e44b

--pretty cheap for testing! I've bought several of these cheap lenses, some 2"ers, a 4", a 3" and a 1.5"-- they all work just fine!

Dan Morphis
04-13-2015, 12:26 PM
I've seen places say to buy a replacement set of mirrors, but I'm not understanding why. Do the mirrors get etched or heated in the process and therefore degrade over time?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Hintz
04-13-2015, 12:58 PM
I've seen places say to buy a replacement set of mirrors, but I'm not understanding why. Do the mirrors get etched or heated in the process and therefore degrade over time?

Thanks,
Dan

People screw up... and take out precious optics in the process. A backup set is cheap insurance to lost work time.

Dan Morphis
04-13-2015, 1:11 PM
People screw up... and take out precious optics in the process. A backup set is cheap insurance to lost work time.

How do the optics get taken out? When putting material in they smack the optics?

Scott Shepherd
04-13-2015, 1:24 PM
How do the optics get taken out? When putting material in they smack the optics?

They can get damaged by forgetting to turn the exhaust on, which allows the debris to go up, get remelted onto the mirror, etc. Once that happens, it's a short time frame before it's cooked.

Chris Corwin
04-13-2015, 9:03 PM
How about a cheap 19mm diameter lens? Everything I see is at least twice the price.