PDA

View Full Version : Whats's The Standard(Typical) Finish for Rifle Stocks

James Combs
04-11-2015, 8:12 PM
A Friend asked me to shorten a gun stock for him and in the process I had to sand off the original finish. I am not a gun smith and am not familiar with the typical finish for a gun stock. Just in case it matters the gun is a modern version of the classic Thompson Sub-machine Gun but of course it is set up as only semi-automatic. The friend ordered a second stock for the one to be modified. Both it and the original stock are walnut and have what appears to be an oil finish of some sort. They have somewhat of a satin sheen, definitely low gloss. I looks very much like "Watco Danish Oil Natural" that I have used on other things. If someone doesn't have a specific recommendation the WDON is what I will use. I read this thread "Gun Stock Finish (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?222468-Gun-Stock-Finish&highlight=rifle+stock)" and most of the recommendations in it are for Tru-Oil but TO's ingredients sound very similar to Watco.

There must be some gun stock finishers on SMC, what is your recommendation?

I will post pics of the finished project when it is done.

Mark W Pugh
04-11-2015, 9:29 PM
I recommend Tru-oil

Rick Johnston
04-12-2015, 12:32 AM
Tru oil . For a satin look rubout with steel wool and a lubricant after two weeks.

Rick Johnston
04-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Also tru oil is much different than Watco. More of a film than Watco.

James Combs
04-12-2015, 8:15 PM
I recommend Tru-oil

Tru oil . For a satin look rubout with steel wool and a lubricant after two weeks.

Also tru oil is much different than Watco. More of a film than Watco.
Thanks folks. Looks like Tru-Oil is the way to go. Will stock-up on a small quantity for these once in a great while projects.