PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Bought an "Old Green Tractor"

Rich Riddle
04-11-2015, 7:40 PM
I listened well to the information you folks offered when discussing tractors.

We are selling a condo in the city where I have offered free handyman services to elderly people for a long time. A widow approached me asking if I wanted to buy her late husband's "old green tractor" or knew anyone who would. She said the neighbor claimed no one would offer he a penny over $500 for it. That was his firm offer. Her husband and I were friends so I gave her $500.01 sight unseen expecting to find an old riding mower. Here is what I picked up out of the barn today. Thanks Creekers, it has most the things you told me to look for in a tractor. Now if I only knew how to work it or what I have. Was it worth it?

311307 311308 311309 311310

I asked to to wait until I had moved the tractor before telling the other person it sold. She was just happy to have a friend get her husband's tractor. Hope it's a keeper. Any information you offer will be appreciated. I think today was a good day to tractor shop. It's bigger than the riding lawn mower imagined in my head.

Jerome Stanek
04-11-2015, 7:44 PM
I think I would go back and give her another couple hundred. Or at last take her out for a real nice meal.

Rich Riddle
04-11-2015, 7:52 PM
I think I would go back and give her another couple hundred. Or at last take her out for a real nice meal.
She won't take a penny more. I offered much more. I take her to eat on a regular basis. She's a nice person.

Marc Seguin
04-11-2015, 8:05 PM
That is the score of the year right there. Great tractor. Very similar to one of the ones we have at work, and that one is a great workhorse and the most fun to operate of all the ones we have.

Jim Becker
04-11-2015, 8:17 PM
THAT....was an excellent acquisition! And a steal. Really. Keep trying to give her more money as it's worth a lot, lot more than she asked you for it. If she will not take the money, just dole out some sweat equity from time to time to benefit her.

Rick Moyer
04-11-2015, 8:23 PM
I listened well to the information you folks offered when discussing tractors.

We are selling a condo in the city where I have offered free handyman services to elderly people for a long time. A widow approached me asking if I wanted to buy her late husband's "old green tractor" or knew anyone who would. She said the neighbor claimed no one would offer he a penny over $500 for it. That was his firm offer. Her husband and I were friends so I gave her $500.01 sight unseen expecting to find an old riding mower. Here is what I picked up out of the barn today. Thanks Creekers, it has most the things you told me to look for in a tractor. Now if I only knew how to work it or what I have. Was it worth it?

311307 311308 311309 311310

I asked to to wait until I had moved the tractor before telling the other person it sold. She was just happy to have a friend get her husband's tractor. Hope it's a keeper. Any information you offer will be appreciated. I think today was a good day to tractor shop. It's bigger than the riding lawn mower imagined in my head.
You wouldn't be any more with that steal!!! Wow. Congratulations, and yes, take care of the widow...er..ah...you know what I meant.

ken masoumi
04-11-2015, 8:26 PM
Rich,it looks like you got a fantastic deal here,I'm happy for you,what goes around comes around,you enjoy that beast of a tractor.

Tom M King
04-11-2015, 8:26 PM
That old green tractor is a lot newer than mine! I think it will be ideal for what you want one for. I can't read the model number. What are the numbers at the front of the yellow stripe? Keep that rollbar up on your hills, with the pins in!!!

Rich Riddle
04-11-2015, 8:28 PM
It says 5520 if memory serves properly. The wife wouldn't let it come home and park it in the circle drive. Not sure of its age.

Rick Moyer
04-11-2015, 8:32 PM
That old green tractor is a lot newer than mine! I think it will be ideal for what you want one for. I can't read the model number. What are the numbers at the front of the yellow stripe? Keep that rollbar up on your hills, with the pins in!!!
Looks like 5520 on pic #2. If so, probably worth $20,000 with the loader and blade. May be deal of the forum!

Rich Riddle
04-11-2015, 8:35 PM
Looks like 5520 on pic #2. If so, probably worth $20,000 with the loader and blade. May be deal of the forum!

Didn't take pictures of the accessories, not sure what the all did. It's got a thing to spear hay, one that looks like forks on a forklift, a big thing to pull behind to cut grass, a plow looking thing, and one that tills or something. Can it run a post hole digger?

Tom M King
04-11-2015, 8:40 PM
Yeah, I was thinking around 20 too.

Ryan Mooney
04-11-2015, 8:42 PM
Well first up I'd trust that neighbor about as far as you can throw him!! That tractors worth north of 40x what he said it was worth so I'm thinking someone was looking to take advantage of someone there so on principal I'm glad someone other than that fellow got it!

Second, wow that's a heck of a deal!

The rough specs: http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/5/7/1572-john-deere-5520.html

I'd still add a box blade :D

Tom M King
04-11-2015, 8:44 PM
Heck, it's not even that old. I'd give you 15k for it right off, if I needed one. It's about the ideal size for a utility tractor to me. Here are the specs. That 31k price is just for the base 2wd model before the other stuff is added up. It's probably a 42k tractor at new price. Definitely the steal/deal of the century.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/5/7/1572-john-deere-5520.html

Thomas Canfield
04-11-2015, 8:44 PM
Threads like this remind me to have a "list" of some of the major tools in my shop so that my "heirs" don't get taken. I also know that trying to settle an estate is not always easy, but do encourage giving some assistance to friends. All that said, you got a great loaded tractor there Get some lessons (find a mentor) on how to use and maintain it.

Rich Riddle
04-11-2015, 8:49 PM
Her husband offered the tractor with all the accessories to me for one cent when he was living. He just never told what it was. Guess he figured he like friends more than money. They have no children.

Tom M King
04-11-2015, 8:56 PM
I'm glad you got it, but I have tractor envy even as much as I love mine.

Brad Schafer
04-11-2015, 8:58 PM
they're going on the used mkt for 25-27.5k before you put on the blade. $500 is insane. yowza.

Rich Riddle
04-11-2015, 9:01 PM
I paid a penny over $500. The neighbor said it wasn't worth a penny more. Guess the wife wanted to prove a point. She just called to say the neighbor was upset she sold it and furious when she disclosed the amount.

Brad Schafer
04-11-2015, 9:08 PM
sounds like the neighbor was trying to rip her off. glad it's gone to a good home. you'll have a blast learning how to use this thing. well done.

Tom M King
04-11-2015, 9:09 PM
Since you are new to this, ask before you buy any implements. The right sized box blade for that is 7', and not a light duty one. It will probably pull an 8 footer fine, but a 7 footer should be a little wider than the wheel width, and allow you to cut some with it. I expect it has a Category 2 hitch like mine.

Tom M King
04-11-2015, 9:12 PM
Did that grading blade come with it too? I'm not real familiar with that model, so I can't tell by the rear picture how many remotes it has. How many levers are beside the seat, not including the loader control?

Rich Riddle
04-11-2015, 9:15 PM
Did that grading blade come with it too? I'm not real familiar with that model, so I can't tell by the rear picture how many remotes it has. How many levers are beside the seat, not including the loader control?
I will take more pictures tomorrow. Hopefully the wife won't want it to be repainted pink.

Mike Cutler
04-11-2015, 9:18 PM
Nice tractor Rich. Taken care of, it'll last your lifetime.

I think the lady you got it from may have more of an idea what it's worth than being given credit for. If she tweaked the guy's nose that offered her $500.00, with a check for $500.01, she was proving a point to him!

if she knew her husband had offered it to you for a penny when he was alive, and I'm sure she did, she was just completing something that was important to him while he was alive.

Better to be on the hook for the taxes on $500.01, with a bill of sale, than the taxes for a $25K "gift". ;)

Jebediah Eckert
04-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Would be worth $25k up here depending on hours and assuming it runs. But for sure the rear blade would go for $750-1,000 depending on what model. The wheel weights along would probably fetch $500 on Craigslist. I'm not even sure how I feel about this?

After that last thread you posted and all us tracotr guys chimed in, you may not know how to run it, but you had to know it was at least worth several thousand dollars.

I have to assume she was rewarding you for the many years of free handyman services to the elderly, an admirable use of spare time, hats off! But unless she is a complete shut in there is no way she could have possibly thought that it was worth $500, no way can I believe that. Nobody is that out of touch.

Jim Matthews
04-12-2015, 6:32 AM
Arrange snow removal for your benafactress.

Stipulate that all the snow removed from her drive
is to be deposited on "Mr. Not worth more than $500" curb.

'Old Green Tractor'? that one is bigger than most of the plows my Town uses.

Larry Edgerton
04-12-2015, 7:38 AM
I think she needs to win a vacation to some wonderful place.

Nice tractor, but I could not sleep at night if I made that deal. I'd have to figure out a way to clear my conscience.

Rich Riddle
04-12-2015, 8:28 AM
I think she needs to win a vacation to some wonderful place.

Nice tractor, but I could not sleep at night if I made that deal. I'd have to figure out a way to clear my conscience.
I talked to her this morning and told her the value. She laughed and said that was more or less an inheritance gift. The couple is quite wealthy and she doesn't lack for money. Guess she is giving away many things. She gave another friend her husband's car, another all his cameras and photography equipment, etc. She charges everyone a nominal fee so that they don't have to pay a lofty inheritance tax from her statements.

Todd Burch
04-12-2015, 8:42 AM
It hasn't been said, so I'll say it. You suck!

That is an awesome relationship you had with her late husband and you have with her. Very well done.

Like others have said - anything she needs - you be there.

Todd

Jason Roehl
04-12-2015, 9:00 AM
What a blessing! Enjoy the new toyl and be safe! (And, I agree with everything Todd said, but since it's Sunday, I won't repeat it. ;) )

Curt Harms
04-12-2015, 10:23 AM

And shame on that neighbor!

I paid a penny over $500. The neighbor said it wasn't worth a penny more. Guess the wife wanted to prove a point. She just called to say the neighbor was upset she sold it and furious when she disclosed the amount.

There's some justice in this world after all.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Rich, you found an awesome tractor! Even better is your relationship with your neighbor lady, well done! Good things do happen to good people.

You really couldn't have picked a nicer tractor for utility work, enjoy!

ken masoumi
04-12-2015, 10:51 AM
And shame on that neighbor!

There's some justice in this world after all.

People show their true colors when money is involved.don't they.

Jim Becker
04-12-2015, 11:06 AM
I'd almost be willing to bet that the neighbor planned on scamming her for five hundred bucks and then would turn around and sell the thing for $15-20K nearly immediately for a profit. His apparent anger about it backs that feeling up!

Again, congrats on acquiring a great tractor setup!

Marc Seguin
04-12-2015, 12:41 PM
I can't tell from the pictures, but I'm willing to bet that there are auxiliary hydraulic hookups. If so, then you should be able to run a post pounder or auger just fine. Just make sure if you're shopping around for one that it matches the 'size' of the pins/balls on your three point hitch. I'm guessing that your tractor would be category 1 just from the size of it.

Mel Miller
04-12-2015, 4:18 PM
Rich: Congratulations on a great deal. It looks to me like you got some "good karma" back from the help you have been giving your neighbors over the years. The icing on the cake is that the cheapskate neighbor didn't get to scam the widow out of it. Every time you use it you will be reminded of the nice people you got it from.

Von Bickley
04-12-2015, 8:10 PM
Glad you got it..... You know you stole it..... :) :) :) :) :)

Joe Mioux
04-13-2015, 9:54 AM
Congratulations on such a nice gift from your widow-friend. The xx20 series has been around a long time and is a very reliable.

Don Orr
04-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Congratulations on getting a wonderful machine that will last several lifetimes. You must have some seriously good Karma and that lady knows it. Enjoy your new toy!