PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about this?

Ed Blough
08-06-2005, 1:15 PM
Hi
I just got a new Wholesale Tool catalog and they list this saw, it is described as the 10" commerical table saw order number 3035-0015. Price $379

I went to their website WTtool.com and they have a little more info but not a lot. Has anyone seen one of these? Is it worth considering or is a boat anchor? Seems very cheap. Thoughts please.

http://www.wttool.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/normal/30350015.jpg

Jim Becker
08-06-2005, 1:30 PM
Looks like a contractors' style saw with a nice skirt. Old style tube fence setup, too...

Michael Perata
08-06-2005, 2:34 PM
My guess is that it isn't even a contractor saw. Probably a direct drive bench saw.

There are better ways to spend $379.

Larry Norton
08-06-2005, 2:50 PM
For $379, I wouldn't even consider it. The motor alone in most quality cabinet saws is about $400.

I really don't like the fence rails. There's nothing to hold the left extension table. Even it looks like the metal is about as thick as a Coke can.

Fred Voorhees
08-06-2005, 3:01 PM
Reminds me of that old faithful saying......"if it sounds to good to be true - it probably is!"

Rick Lizek
08-06-2005, 3:28 PM
I've dealt a lot with the company for metalworking items such as calipers, taps and other small tools but I'd stay away from that saw just based on the fence design.

Don Selke
08-06-2005, 3:32 PM
It looks and appears to be a MaoShan saw from Taiwan. This company makes a lot of table saws for various companies. The saw in the picture is a clone of the saw that I bought many years ago from Builders Square which went out of business. I gave the saw to my son for a present. He still has the saw and it has a 1-1/2HP motor and really does a decent job. This saw is a contractors saw, not a cabinet saw. The only negative thing about it is the fence. My son purchased a fence from Mule Cab and that fence made a teriffic improvement in the saw. Why did I purchase the saw in the first place? Got it for $125.00 when Builders Square went out of business. The motor on the saw I purchased was belt driven and came with cast iron extensions. The fence was horrible and could not be adjusted properly.
If you purchase it, you will need a new after market fence right away. Personally, I would save my money and purchase a saw that you will be happy with for a long time. For the ocassional woodworker, the saw does what it was intended to do, cut wood.

Dale Rodabaugh
08-06-2005, 4:09 PM
Sounds like a BUYER BEWARE deal to me.Yeah the wings look like cheap sheetmetal to me.I have an older Craftsman That I try to keep trued up and cutting good.Even it cast iron wings on it.I think you would be throwing your money away.just my 2 cts.worth.:cool: :cool: :cool:

CPeter James
08-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Remember that this is the piece of machinery that you hope will last and will become the central machine in your shop. The General International 10" contractors saw with Bies close fence is a couple of hundred more and 10 times the saw. Will cut straight, rip straight and is dead on. Nothing is more frustrating than cheap tools that won't do the job. Another thought, look around for a GOOD used machine. They are out there and sometimes the prices are really amazing. I have purchased several commercial shop pieces for an average of twenty five cents on the dollar. Some were perfect and some needed minor work (new bearings or belt). Much better quality and much more accurate.

CPeter

Bill Fields
08-07-2005, 1:20 AM
Ed:

You were interested in the Hitachi CF10L, which I bought. While I like the saw after many modifications, I would not recommend it.

Same opinion on the saw that you referenced.

The little brand new Skil unit that the Hitachi replaced was really ok for careful small-scale work.

Save your money, and study the classifeids in your local paper.

Bill Fields

John Shuk
08-07-2005, 10:19 AM
I think I would make the strech to almost $600 and buy the Rigid contractor saw. I've seen nothing but good stuff and it seems like a bargain for the price. If you have a problem Home Depot probably isn't too far.

Ned Bulken
08-07-2005, 11:01 AM
i'll second the recommendation for the 3650. For the money it gives you a lot of saw, I have the 3612 (emerson built vs taiwanese built, but same saw essentially). I've had mine for just about two years (boy does time fly!). It does a fine job, and the bies-style fence is top notch. Dust collection is inherently weaker than a cabinet saw, but that is to be expected.
I was looking at saws a couple of years ago, and had a limited budget (who doesn't). My criteria were : Contractor type saw, for around $500, mobile base would be nice as well (the Ridgid comes with that right out fo the box).

scott spencer
08-07-2005, 11:44 AM
It looks identical to a machine at MaoShan's website. It also resembles a saw HF carried. The fence looks like an obsolete design that was a poor performer even in it's day. I'd definitely pass. $380 will buy you a sweetheart of a used saw.....even if it means getting an older Craftsman in good running condition for ~ $125-$150 and then adding a good fence like a Vega or SF Aluma Classic for ` $230 delivered.

http://www.maoshan.com/p1_tsc-e.htm