PDA

View Full Version : Making a hinge

Earl Eyre
08-06-2005, 1:15 PM
I plan to turn some boxes approx 5" round. I will then take 1/4" flat stock, turn round to make a lid to match the box, and use my scroll saw to cut a pattern into the lid using a fret work pattern of some sort. I want to then insert a brass rod into the lid and into the turned box for a hinge. The lid will swing or swivel horizontally to the box. Make sense? My question is how to you insert the pin into the box to hold it securely while allowing it to swivel? I've seen bandsawn boxes with that kind of hinge but I can't find any info on the internet and our small town does not have woodworking books. Thanks.

Earl

Bill Stevener
08-06-2005, 5:52 PM
Hi Earl,

This may work. Drill a blind hole in the lid, and in the box. Make two plugs for the holes-one for each. Drill a hole in each, the size of small diam.brass tubing. Place the plugs on the tubing and flare the ends. Glue the plugs into the drilled holes in the top and box.

Make sense? Worth a try, the best I can think of for now.

Good luck, Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Earl Eyre
08-06-2005, 7:49 PM
Thanks, Bill. Actually, I could drill all the way through the side of the box from top to bottom, widen the hole just slightly on the bottom of the box (like for hiding a screw head), insert the flaired pin through the bottom and up into the lid and glue it solid to the lid. I'd like the pin to show through on top the lid for a design function.

I hadn't thought about flairing the pin. In fact, as I'm typing this I just thought about getting a brass pin that is used in a door hinge. If I can find the right size, that would work perfectly. Guess I'm off the Home Depot tomorrow.

Thanks,
Earl

Charlie Stein
08-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Hi Earl,
Why not turn a pin fo a contrasting wood ? Make it like a door hindg pin with a small ball on top and long enough to go into the side of the box and glue only that poration that is in the box, the lid would piviot on it.
Just Charlie

Earl Eyre
08-07-2005, 1:20 AM
I like it! Simple, elegant and continues the turning theme instead of introducing another element. I'll try it.

Earl

Pat Salter
08-07-2005, 10:54 PM
OK Earl, since you understand it.........do it and put a picture here. I guess I'm tired or something :rolleyes: I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with my age. I think I understand, just would like to see a picture.