PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly jointer arrived, have to say, blown away again

Scott Brandstetter
04-10-2015, 7:24 PM
Arrived today with lift service, driver loaded it onto my trailer hooked up to riding mower, and down to the lower level woodshop it went. A little worried at first because the bottom of the wood box that holds the tables looked a bit rough. Got it unpacked, cleaned up, installed (2 hours but took my time) and began to dial it in.

Fit and finish are fantastic and the tables are absolutely perfect. I cannot find a single flaw in the entire thing. The only thing I'm not sure about is adjusting the fence. For those who care to help, can you tell me if the fence should "sit" on the tables? I always thought it should be 1/16 or so off the tables. If this is the case, I haven't figured out how to adjust it.......quite frankly, wore out from a late night in the shop last night combined with putting the jointer together by myself.

So, last week my Grizzly table saw and this week the jointer. Can't say enough about the positive experience I've had so far. The only thing left is to put a few miles on them. Oh, and wait for my Grizzly 22 inch lathe to come in, hopefully soon.

daryl moses
04-10-2015, 8:26 PM
Aint nothing like getting new tools.
Glad your liking your new saw and jointer.
I recently purchased a new Grizzly lathe and table saw myself and am very impressed with the quality.
Pretty sure the fence on my Jet jointer stands a bit proud of the table, i'm sure there must be an adjustment somewhere.
Enjoy your new tools!

Bill Melin
04-10-2015, 8:37 PM
I have the Griz. 6" jointer and my fence sits on a little nylon ( I think ) nub that keeps it about 3/32" proud of the table . I am guessing ( haven't tried to take it off ) it is just press fitted into a hole on the bottom of the fence. Maybe it fell out in shipping and is rattling around with the packing material.

Bill

Keith Hankins
04-10-2015, 8:38 PM
Like said! Ain't nothing like a new toy! I've had a good bit of Griz and all have been good. the 12" jointer, 17"BS and 1023slx were all good.

Jon Nuckles
04-10-2015, 9:23 PM
I have the G0490X and the fence rests directly on the outfeed table near the cutterhead. It does leave marks on the table if you don't lift when you move it. I asked Grizzly's tech support and they said that is normal. I did take a diamond stone to the bearing surface of the fence to smooth it down a bit.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2015, 10:31 PM
Scott.....Congrats on the jointer! At the suggestion of a fellow Creeker, I got a roll of this http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/16L64/Slick-Strips-34-Width-132-Thick.aspx and covered the bottom of my fence. I haven't had any scratching problems.

Scott Brandstetter
04-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Ken, I think I will head to Woodcraft and pick up your trick tomorrow.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Scott.....obviously you want to the bottom really well with some solvent to insure all the cosmoline is removed and then let it dry. For me, it's worked well for 4 or 5 years now.

Rich Riddle
04-11-2015, 7:14 AM
Congratulations on the new Grizzly tools. Their service is wonderful. On a side note, the tape looks like it will solve a menacing problem. Thanks Ken.

Bill White
04-11-2015, 11:10 AM
You're sounding like a new Daddy. You should. Congrats. :)
Bill

glenn bradley
04-11-2015, 12:28 PM
As stated, the fence sits on the table on that little "foot". I cleaned the bottom of the foot with naphtha and stuck on the UMHW tape mentioned earlier. Its been on there since day one (May 2008) and has slid back and forth, angle to and fro I can't tell you how many times and is still in place.

I cut it to fit the foot so it wouldn't get snagged.

I put some on the front of the pork chop as soon as I noticed the paint getting rubbed off. Still fine after who knows how many operations.

It also pads the return 'bang' of the pork chop against the fence.