PDA

View Full Version : Keeping an aluminum ladder outside?

Wade Lippman
04-10-2015, 1:42 PM
Cleaning out my inlaws house I picked up a 26' aluminum extension ladder. I thought I could store it under a deck, but it is too big and I really have no place to put it. Any harm to leaving it outside? We have a side of the house where no one ever goes and there are enough trees so the neighbors probably won't care. (They have never complained about the compost pile...)

I might use it every couple years, but when you need it, you need it.

daryl moses
04-10-2015, 2:11 PM
I've got 16, 26, and a 40ft extension ladders. I use metal shelf brackets screwed into the outside of my work shop. They get a little protection from the weather but not much. I've had them stored like that for many years with no ill effects except the ropes have to be replaced every ten years or so.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-10-2015, 2:15 PM
Overall it will be fine outside. A fiberglass ladder would be a concern, as fiberglass, no matter how good, will eventually break down in UV. One thing on your ladder that will break down is the uphaul line, or whatever you prefer to call it. Also any PVC or similar plastic feet, step supports, etc. that might be on it could break down in UV as well. I live in the tropics and bought a ladder that was outside for many years with no issues other than the uphaul line needing replaced.

When you say it won't fit, I am assuming you mean length is the issue, but what I did with my 32' ladder is hang it from the ceiling, and in my tiny shop it only fit diagonally. I bought a professional ladder hanger with a ratcheting line that easily hoists it up with just myself at the helm.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/racorladderlift.cfm?redirect=false&source=mspla&kwid=LaddersandStools%20low&tid=DIXIE061-1&srccode=cii_328768002&cpncode=37-37487452-2

Chris Padilla
04-10-2015, 2:16 PM
No biggie...mine have been outside for years.

roger wiegand
04-10-2015, 2:30 PM
They've been outside for 40 years now in Missouri and Massachusetts summers and winters. No ill effects noted so far.

David Falkner
04-10-2015, 2:33 PM
Mine is outside, has been for about 20 years. Rope is shot but that's easily replaced.

Mike Lassiter
04-10-2015, 3:28 PM
me too - have them outside. No rope to rot, but the plastic tips on the top of the extension have broken off, and I have always been careful about how the ladder is placed AND used. I suspect the sun has degraded the plastic like so many other things made from plastic that don't like sunlight and become brittle. When the ladder is placed against the fascia to get on the roof I have to be very careful to keep from scratching the white finish on the aluminum. No more rounded corner plastic tip, just the edge of the aluminum frame against whatever the ladder is used on.

Dan Hintz
04-10-2015, 3:55 PM
me too - have them outside. No rope to rot, but the plastic tips on the top of the extension have broken off, and I have always been careful about how the ladder is placed AND used. I suspect the sun has degraded the plastic like so many other things made from plastic that don't like sunlight and become brittle. When the ladder is placed against the fascia to get on the roof I have to be very careful to keep from scratching the white finish on the aluminum. No more rounded corner plastic tip, just the edge of the aluminum frame against whatever the ladder is used on.

Mike, get yourself some Plast-Dip... a few coats should take care of that problem.

Wade Lippman
04-10-2015, 4:07 PM
I parked it next to the house, but to compensate my neighbor I threw out all the old tree stakes that have been there for 3 years.
It is on the north side so I don't think UV will be a major problem, but the manila rope may not last very long.
Thanks

Rich Engelhardt
04-10-2015, 6:04 PM

Wrap an old rag or towel around the top. Secure it with (what else?) duct tape.

Shawn Pixley
04-10-2015, 6:11 PM
I live in a saltwater environment. They would quickly pit and corrode here. They can also be used by thieves to break into your house.

Lee Schierer
04-10-2015, 6:20 PM
My FIL kept his aluminum ladder outside for years. The surface became pitted and about as rough as 320 grit sand paper. The steel fasteners holding the swivel feet rusted and the springs on the height adjustment locks rusted. The ladder is still functional, but it doesn't look good.

I would lock the ladder to something immovable so that it woesn't walk away in the middle of the night or while you are away from home for a while.

Rich Engelhardt
04-10-2015, 8:10 PM
They can also be used by thieves to break into your house.
Extending an older aluminum ladder makes enough noise to raise the dead.
My neighbors hated it when I had to load mine on the car top and leave for work at 6:00 am.
They'd scowl at me from the kitchen window and make sure I knew how displeased they were.

Ok - I admit, maybe I was a little inclined to make a bit more noise than necessary.... ;)...

Charlie Velasquez
04-10-2015, 9:25 PM
Keep my Al and my fiberglass outside with ladder hooks on the back of my shop, facing south. Covered with a cheap tarp from Menards, folded in half.
Going on 25 years for the Al and maybe 10 years on the fiberglass. No issues with either.

Well, actually, for some reason wasps love nesting under the tarp. First time was quite the surprise.

Charles Wiggins
04-10-2015, 11:00 PM
They've been outside for 40 years now in Missouri and Massachusetts summers and winters. No ill effects noted so far.

My dad's was outside for almost 50 years. No ill effects from the weather. It just finally got to worn and we had to give up on it.

Jason Roehl
04-10-2015, 11:04 PM

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ladder+mitts

Much better than rags. Take your pick.

Mike Lassiter
04-11-2015, 9:02 AM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ladder+mitts

Much better than rags. Take your pick.

Thanks Jason, I didn't know about these. I like this better than other ideas, including my thoughts about making replacements out of wood.