PDA

View Full Version : Replacing an IEC Motor with Nema Frame?

Bill Adamsen
04-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Looking at replacement for a European Motor ... an IEC 112 frame. There are several manufacturers I've found with basically the same specifications for power, but a wide range of ways they get that power, and of course price. Does anyone have experience with either Techtop or Elektrim? The former is an Asian manufactured motor ... 5.5hp, 4Kw, 12.6fla, 1800rpm, 64lbs., 89.5Eff. The second is manufactured in Poland ... 5.5hp, 4Kw, 14.8fla, 1750rpm, 78lbs, 78pf and 87.5 Eff. The former is about $500, the latter $100 more.

Then there is also a Baldor "Super-E" EM3615 with the Nema 184T frame, which from all I can tell is functionally compatible. It has a slightly lower power rating, but the efficiency and power factor as quoted are better. Its foot dimensions, shaft offset, etc. ... all except the shaft diameter (1.112" versus the 28mm (1.10) diameter of the IEC 112 frame shaft) and length (about 10mm longer) look like a direct replacement. The only thing I can't tell is if the keyway is the same. The Baldor is heavier at 83lbs. Prices are lower than the other two at between $320 and $450 new.

Has anyone replaced an IEC 112 with a 184T frame? Besides the 4.4" to 4.5" shaft height difference (probably not an issue), am I going to get the pulley on or need to send it out for machining?

David Kumm
04-10-2015, 1:37 PM
You will need to swap or bore out the pulley and keyway. Both Leeson and Baldor do make IEC frame motors. Might be another option. My motor guy tells me Techtop are as decent as Chinese motors get. I don't know if they make models with different spec's. The Leeson would likely be Chinese sourced too. don't know where the Baldor IEC is made. I'd probably do the Techtop and see how the motor performed. My motor guy would rewind for 400-500 but most places are more expensive. Dave

Peter Kelly
04-10-2015, 2:01 PM
Could also look at Brazilian-made WEG motors from Factorymation if you're going to stick with metric. Quality is very good. http://www.factorymation.com/Products/iecmetric/

I think out of all the IEC-frame motors sold in North America, only Elektrim stocks single-phase ones.

Baldor & Leeson IEC are both Chinese.

Bill Adamsen
04-10-2015, 2:42 PM
I was quoted $1000+/- to rewind here in CT. One of my sources will actually test for no charge. That might be the best approach. I have questions about whether the motor is failing or if there is an issue with the RPC. I can't find a good rubric for testing the RPC so checking out the motor is a good alternative solution and could save buying a replacement. The issue is that removing the motor for testing is not trivial.

That eqivelent WEG Motor (00418ET3EAL112M) is very competitively priced at about $400. Thanks Dave and Peter.

Peter Kelly
04-10-2015, 2:43 PM
Has anyone replaced an IEC 112 with a 184T frame? Besides the 4.4" to 4.5" shaft height difference (probably not an issue), am I going to get the pulley on or need to send it out for machining?If you bore out an existing metric pulley to match an English diameter, it'll also need to re-keyed so the machine shop will need a broaching machine. You'll need to be mindful that the new keyway doesn't end up cutting into the groove of your pulley.

David Kumm
04-10-2015, 6:04 PM
Might also ask a motor shop for their opinion or if they have a used IEC in the shop. If you ask for a rewind quote on a metric motor, you must also stress what the hp is relative to the frame size. Euro machines often come with 112 frame motors stuffed with 9-10 hp inside so motor guys hate winding them and upcharge accordingly. Dave