PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw tires and vibration

Bruce Heys
04-10-2015, 11:52 AM
I recently installed polyurethane tires on my Grizzly G0514 bandsaw. The original upper wheel tire broke and I purchased replacement tires from Grizzly. Since installation the saw has an annoying vibration. Previously, it ran smooth as silk. I will have to admit that the vibration does not affect the functionality and it remains the most used tool in my boat building shop, but it bugs me. Any thoughts?

glenn bradley
04-10-2015, 12:17 PM
I've never experienced vibration due to upgrading / replacing tires but, I'm a fairly small sample. I will be interested to see what others have to say. My main vibration elimination came from assuring the motor and lower wheel pulleys were aligned and (since I was in there anyway) that change to a link belt. Took the saw from quiet to spooky quiet.

Morey St. Denis
04-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Assuming there was little unusually rough handling such as impact forces getting transmitted to the bearings... You'd do well to review exactly what other damage may have occurred when that 19" upper tire let go, was it under much load? Recall what the situation looked like when you first opened those wheel cover shields. Suggest you might try a different blade if you're still using the same one since the failure occurred. Go through an entire realignment and careful adjustment of both the blade guide assemblies. Due to tire wear, material differences or properties of the new tires as compared to old, it is unlikely that the saw band will want to track at exactly the same position going through those guides. If you can gain access to an audible inspection tool such as a stethoscope, you may be better able to home in on whatever may be the source of those new vibrations. Listen carefully to determine what the frequency of those vibrations may match in the way of revolving equipment. Whatever you may wish to inspect while those blade covers are open; Be Very Careful and CAUTIOUS!