PDA

View Full Version : Bar top

Rick Pristas
04-10-2015, 8:56 AM
Hi guys,

Need a little advice/newbie

I picked up a mahogany bar top from a friend of mine. Adjusted it to fit for my bar and then had to finish it.

I am used to working with varnish, awl grip etc from being on boats and wound up using Helmsman spar varnish at the recommendation of from a SW store. I wasn't happy that is is a softer finish, but didn't want the drink rings and was familiar with it from working on boats. Put 3 coats on and it was really looking great.

As I was looking on some forums i came across Behlens Rock Hard table top finish. I know it is not a good idea to put the hard finish over a softer finish, however, bar will be in finished basement so i figured i would take the risk since it would not be subject to extremes.

Both state they are urethane finishes so i thought they would be compatible. I put a coat of Behlens Gloss on top of the spar about 24 hours of the last coat of Spar. The behlens seemed to get a reaction with the spar. It did coat it, but dimples are everywhere and it will not dry smooth like glass. It is shiny, just with a lot of dimples. The last coat of Spar was almost like a mirror.

I thought maybe it was a reaction with the mineral spirits i used just before a coat of behlens so the last 2 coats i have just wiped down with plain water. I have put 4 coats of behlens on waiting 24 hours between coats and wet sanding in between, but the dimples still appear.

As a last shot i figured i would wait a week or so for everything to cure then give it another shot to see what happens. I know the right answer is to probably strip completely, but didn't know if there were any other options since I now have 3 coats of spar and 4 of behlens on it.

Also, read that Behlens may be more of a polyurethane now even though the can states urethane so am thinking that may be the reason for the reaction as well-just not sure if that is true.

I am working in a very clean, ventilated, temp controlled room so it is not a situation where something contaminated the surface.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lee Schierer
04-10-2015, 9:39 AM
Urethane or polyurethane as a finish are pretty much the same thing as far as I know. I'm not sure what might have caused the dimples but it is likely that they will not go away. Removing the finish might be your only option.

Sam Murdoch
04-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Urethane or polyurethane as a finish are pretty much the same thing as far as I know. I'm not sure what might have caused the dimples but it is likely that they will not go away. Removing the finish might be your only option.

Yes to that and then refinish with Waterlox Original Sealer/finish -http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/37J21/Waterlox-Original-Sealer-Finish-Quart.aspx?refcode=10INGOPB&adpos=1o1&creative=65586513262&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CNag4-f068QCFYM6gQod4KEARw ONE option from this link for purchase. I see the price has gone up about $ 6.00 per quart :(

This stuff is easy to apply and will cure very hard, very durable, and as far as I know, impervious to alcohol spills - an excellent choice for table/bar tops.

Rick Pristas
04-11-2015, 7:30 AM
Hi guys,
Thank you for the replies and advice

Howard Acheson
04-16-2015, 12:31 PM
The thinner in Rockhard is a proprietary product. It is not compatible with some other thinners uses that are mineral spirit based. You will need to strip off the finishes and refinish with one or the other products.

You initial instincts with correct. It is always risky to mix different finishes. This is particularly true if the bottom finish has not been given the chance to fully cure. Full cure of oil based finishes can take 10 or more weeks.

Prashun Patel
04-16-2015, 1:59 PM
Why don't you just continue with the helmsman? If it looks bad or does not hold up with time, then you can strip it later. Why do all that work now when 'it was looking great' with the Spar Varnish?

While not the ideal finish for indoors, I find it to be fine in many applications. In fact, it's relative softness makes it a decent choice if you expect it to get scratched.

I will say that I finished my bar in Waterlox Original Gloss (full strength varnish, not the OSF) and it's held up fantastically. So, if you have to strip and re-do, I would consider this product.

Rick Pristas
04-17-2015, 7:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.