PDA

View Full Version : Malie Burl Pen

John Hart
08-05-2005, 9:49 PM
I picked up a Tazmanian Malie Burl today and decided to make a pen just to see how it looked inside. The pen is a bit fat for my tastes, but maybe someone else will like it in their hand. It felt good to be back in the shop for a change.

It's finished with a Walnut oil/Carnuba Wax combo.

Thanks for lookin'

Rob Littleton
08-05-2005, 10:03 PM
How did you get that rock turned so jagged ??

hehe, that is a good looking pen. I prefer my pens on the heavy side for bigger hands. Nice job

Lou Morrissette
08-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Nice looking pen, John. Great pic presentation also.

Lou

John Miliunas
08-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Hey John, that's some pretty looking wood! (And all this time I thought the only thing out of Tasmania was a freakish looking devil!:D ) As to the size/shape, many guys with a big paw or someone with arthritis will appreciate something with the larger grip! Trust me on this one...I have BOTH!:) Nice job. :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
08-06-2005, 12:31 AM
That is a fat one. I like the shape and the setup. Is that part of a geode?

Ernie

John Hart
08-06-2005, 7:46 AM
.... Is that part of a geode?

Ernie

Sort of. We were on a hike and I noticed a geode-looking rock on the side of a hill. When I bent down to look at it, I noticed that the whole hill was made up of this rock. Gazillions of crystals. So I put about 60 pounds in my backpack and suffered the rest of the way. It was worth it. But like Rob pointed out...it is very difficult to turn!!:rolleyes:

John M. - The burl definitely belongs with the little devil....Gnarly looking sucker. I'm going to get some more and make some bowls...but this one is dedicated to pens. I ought to get 10 pens out of this chunk I think.

Thanks all for your kind words.

Keith Burns
08-06-2005, 9:52 AM
Great pen, I love the wood. I too like my pens large. It's always different strokes for different folks.

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints."

Bill Stevener
08-06-2005, 5:36 PM
Hi John,

I like a larger pen, it shows the wood well. Great character in the wood, a good burl will always show well. Very nice looking pen.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)