PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Question

Michael Moscicki
04-09-2015, 11:45 PM
I know some people like to write novels on the creek, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I will try and keep it brief.

I am looking to purchase a jointer to add to my arsenal of woodworking tools. I have a DW734 12.5" planer if that makes any difference other than limiting me to a 12" jointer.

Because someone will say Grizzly and if I did buy one, it would be the G0654.

G0654 6" x 46" Jointer for $534 with shipping
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654

It is their cheapest jointer not counting their benchtop model. It is delivered to my door. It has a warranty.

On the used market I can get a Jet open stand 6" jointer for $175. If I disassemble the stand, I think I could fit it in my sedan. If not the Jet, I've seen other open stand jointers in the $200-$300 range. The Jet or comparable open stand jointer is cheaper than the Grizzly.

With either of those jointers, I would eventually upgrade to a better jointer.

On the used market there is also a General 8" jointer for $1,200. It is made in Canada and would probably be the last jointer I would ever buy. Then again I'm only 23, so don't know if I'll ever want to replace it with a larger Euro machine. I would have to rent a truck to move it adding an extra $110, making the total $1,310 plus a tip for friends to help move it.

The used Jointers are within a 15 miles from my house, so distance is not a factor.

So in short:
Are the open stand jointers any good? Is the G0654 good for it's price? I think the General is fairly priced at $1,200, is it a fair price?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Scott Brandstetter
04-10-2015, 12:11 AM
You seem to be all over the board with your options. Personally, I started with a 6 inch open stand craftsman, gave it away after a few years. Went to a 6 inch powermatic for a little while but simply not wide enough for my current needs. I am actually receiving an 8 inch Grizzly tomorrow (between 11 - 5pm, lol).

Not sure how to guide you. I guess my best suggestion is to watch craiglist. There seems to be a lot of 6 inch jointers. I looked for months waiting for an 8 inch but never found one.

Andrew Hughes
04-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Go for the General jointer,take a good flat straight edge.If the tables are flat try to haggle the price.Inspecting a jointer before you buy it is good thing.Aj

Frank Drew
04-10-2015, 12:24 AM
Go for the General jointer,take a good flat straight edge.If the tables are flat try to haggle the price.Inspecting a jointer before you buy it is good thing.Aj

I agree with Andrew in all particulars.

glenn bradley
04-10-2015, 6:54 AM
There is a small contingent who use 6" jointers and are perfectly happy. I am one of those who didn't listen and wasted time and money on a new 6" jointer. Took the loss and moved to an 8" and this meets 90% of my needs. I agree that with your prices from $175 to $1200 I am not sure what your budget is.

If I was going to go $1200 I would go a bit more and get a Grizzly G0490X as the spiral head will pay for itself in short order and then pay dividends every time you don't have to sharpen or replace knives. You could certainly get the $175 jointer and if it ends up to narrow, call it an inexpensive learning experience and sell it. It would certainly be a cheaper lesson than the one I learned ;-)

Mike Cutler
04-10-2015, 6:57 AM
Michael

I'd be looking at the 8" if it's within budget. I think the price should be closer to a grand, but I can't tell if those are extended tables, or what kind of cutterhead it has. Either would push the price up. At $1200.00, it would have to come with something, besides being a bone stock Jointer. For not too much more you could have a new jointer delivered with a nicer head.

I have a 6" Jet Jointer, and it is a nice machine, but it is just too limiting.

Randy Red Bemont
04-10-2015, 7:06 AM
If I was going to go $1200 I would go a bit more and get a Grizzly G0490X as the spiral head will pay for itself in short order and then pay dividends every time you don't have to sharpen or replace knives.

I've got this one and it will do what you want and more. A great and powerful jointer. You would be very happy with it.

Red

Dennis Aspö
04-10-2015, 7:29 AM
I have a tiny jointer (and planer too), very short, but it is 8" wide and this has been a good thing. Even as a hobbyist I would have run into a wall with a 6" model. I have a bit hard seeing how 6" models seem to be so common in the US, here in europe the minimum width seems to be 8".

Bill Adamsen
04-10-2015, 8:37 AM
With a jointer - logistics aside - the bigger the better. Straight blade machines with HSS blades leave a superb finish. Tersa blades are very affordable, with a wide range of metal types to suit different different woods, and change in minutes. That said, in my experience, most straight blade cutter-heads can howl, especially with strong dust collection. Like Glenn said, 8" is pretty versatile. I have 16" and wish I had 24"-30".

Harold Weaver
04-10-2015, 10:08 AM
That General 8" jointer, the Canadian made model, would be my choice if I were looking to get a large jointer in that size, Though it is a little steep on price, but based on the photos, it looks plug and play and rather well taken care of. Make sure the tables are flat and then haggle on it. My personal jointer of choice is a older Powermatic PM 50 6" model. Does all I need it to do, but if I had the floor space, I'd go 8" as well. Nothing wrong with the open stand by the way, it's what's above the stand that counts along with the motor.

Michael Moscicki
04-10-2015, 11:57 AM
I do apologize for being all over the board on the price range of the jointers. I would prefer to spend no more than a $1,000 for a used 8" or $400 for a used 6". I guess I am asking if I should buy the quality jointer, or the cheaper jointer and have money left over for some other tools?

I will be looking at the General, sometime today or over the weekend. There was a slightly older Canadian General 8"Jointer on sale for $800 a little less than two weeks ago, so I'll see if I can talk the guy down a couple hundred.

John Huds0n
04-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Did you see this post?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229842-New-Powermatic-8-quot-Jointer-1-100*

Mike Schuch
04-10-2015, 1:11 PM
I think it all comes down to your budget. If you can swing the 8" jointer then by all means go that direction! If not being able to afford a 8" jointer means no jointer at all then a 6" jointer is MUCH better than nothing.

When I was young I bought a 6" Harbor Freight jointer (They used to sell jointers back then). It was about as cheap a jointer you could get and still call it a jointer. I used the snot out of that jointer for 20 years and it met all my needs and it never gave a moment of problems. The stupid thing did such a good job I could not justify upgrading. A few years ago I inherited my fathers 8" jointer and I love it. The extra width is nice but I find the extra table length to be an even bigger benefit. I sold my HF 6" jointer to a friend for $100 and he is thrilled!

The key to successfully using a 6" jointer is to buy stock that is 6" or narrower... pretty simple! :D

Frank Drew
04-10-2015, 1:39 PM
If not being able to afford a 8" jointer means no jointer at all then a 6" jointer is MUCH better than nothing.

I totally agree.

The key to successfully using a 6" jointer is to buy stock that is 6" or narrower.

This part I don't agree with, and I'd hate to be limited to using only narrow stock.

Bill Adamsen
04-10-2015, 1:53 PM
$1000 seems to be the general price point for used Powermatic #60s (8") in my area. I see two of them on CL right now. I can say that price has not moved much (inflation considered) in 25 years. It's a fine piece of equipment. The other 6" and 8" copies that I've used ... few measure up, and some have some real issues (speed, power, adjustability). Likely, all issues could be resolved with some effort. Typically, the Model 60s are 220/230volt machines - something to consider. Getting a quality mobile base in that price would be an added bonus. You might have a challenge getting the 8" into your sedan, though the jointer can be completely disassembled and then reassembled once you get it back to your shop (not for the faint of heart). You would likely never outgrow the Model 60, and could even upgrade the head. It will be worth what you paid for it in fifteen years. The Model 60 is significantly more machine than a 6 inch jointer.

Rod Sheridan
04-10-2015, 4:46 PM

Absolutely the best solution out of the choices you have mentioned.

They made great equipment, I had a shop full of it..........Rod.

Jim Andrew
04-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Going for the 8" jointer, will save you buying a 6" and having to get rid of it. I am on my 3rd jointer in this life, a 12" G0609 Grizzly 12" with a helical cutterhead. I work with all rough cut lumber, as I saw my own.

Clay Fails
04-11-2015, 5:06 AM
Get the General. I have a Delta DJ 20, which is 8 inches, and would not want anything smaller. In addition to the capacity, the bigger machine will be heavier, less vibration, more power.

there are times i wish i had a 12 inch, but that's not really practical with the shop layout i have.

good luck

Rich Riddle
04-11-2015, 7:21 AM
Of all your choices, I like the General. That said, if you have some time wait.... a bit. I found a used Minimax 14" jointer/planer for the price you are quoting for the General jointer. A thread in here a few weeks ago had another one for $1000 and the buyer simply had a small amount of machine shop work done to get it in flawless shape. Time is your friend on this purchase. No one enjoys continuous upgrading...well Dave Kumm does but he has a warehouse in which he houses his old ones.

David Kumm
04-11-2015, 8:25 AM
If condition is good, the General is not only the best, but has a huge following so it will hold it's value. I'm surprised no one has snapped it up. The Canadian General machines usually don't long on the market. It will get the 800 asking price. Dave