PDA

View Full Version : New PWW video site is even worse

Daniel Rode
04-09-2015, 10:26 PM
I didn't think it would be possible but PWW managed to make the shopclass on demand site even worse. It's been renamed and updated but is slower and buggier that the old site. It's also impossible to contact anyone about the site. Zero support and zero contact information.

I figured I'd risk the $19.99 so I could view Ron Herman's hand saw vids. I especially wanted to sit through the sharpening video a couple more times. Clearly, I've wasted my money. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me :(

None of the 7-8 Ron Herman videos play. Other videos play but not all.

Despite the solid catalog of content, don't waste your money.

glenn bradley
04-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Nothing disappoints like a half-hearted online attempt. Regretfully this has become the norm. Like television, mediocrity and cheap/quick to market rule the day. Amateurs can and should be be forgiven; I'm all for free-form creativity. But a lot of the pro stuff I see today would have been a resume-generating event in my world.

lowell holmes
04-09-2015, 11:05 PM
I downloaded Ron Hermans video on sharpening a handsaw. I regard it as the best I've ever seen. It's a shame you can't watch it.

Patrick Harper
04-10-2015, 7:11 AM
I had a free preview a few months back, and just couldn't take it. It was abysmal. Does anyone know if they are self-hosting?

Stewie Simpson
04-10-2015, 8:23 AM
Can someone supply the link.

Stewie;

lowell holmes
04-10-2015, 9:12 AM
Can someone supply the link.

Stewie;

http://www.shopwoodworking.com/sharpen-handsaws-dwnld-u6376

Stewie, this link may or may not work. I did download the video from this link and the video on my hard drive does work.

george wilson
04-10-2015, 9:12 AM
Since paying for their magazine to read erroneous articles,I don't subscribe to them anyway. To tell the truth,I usually enjoy the advertisements in such magazines more than the content anyway.

FWW has a site you can pay to access that has videos by me,people I have trained in Williamsburg,and others that you might enjoy,and get some good content from. Ed Wright,one of my old journeymen,gives a good video on how to make and use hide glue.When it's tacky enough,etc.,for example. My video probably would not be of practical use,because it shows how Jon(my toolmaker journeyman),and I cut the escapements for those wooden planes using a slotting attachment on a vertical mill.

I have more faith in the FWW site's value.

And,shame on you!!!!:)

lowell holmes
04-10-2015, 9:14 AM
I didn't think it would be possible but PWW managed to make the shopclass on demand site even worse. It's been renamed and updated but is slower and buggier that the old site. It's also impossible to contact anyone about the site. Zero support and zero contact information.

I figured I'd risk the $19.99 so I could view Ron Herman's hand saw vids. I especially wanted to sit through the sharpening video a couple more times. Clearly, I've wasted my money. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me :(

None of the 7-8 Ron Herman videos play. Other videos play but not all.

Despite the solid catalog of content, don't waste your money.

I'm not a PWW fan anymore, but I downloaded the Ron Herman videos sometime back and they do run to completion.

Megan, are you following this?

Daniel Rode
04-10-2015, 9:33 AM
I have a standing membership to the FWW site and I have in fact watched you on video there :)

The FWW site is very good. It should be an example that a woodworking magazine *CAN* offer a top quality product online.

FWW has a site you can pay to access that has videos by me,people I have trained in Williamsburg,and others that you might enjoy,and get some good content from. Ed Wright,one of my old journeymen,gives a good video on how to make and use hide glue.When it's tacky enough,etc.,for example. My video probably would not be of practical use,because it shows how Jon(my toolmaker journeyman),and I cut the escapements for those wooden planes using a slotting attachment on a vertical mill.

I have more faith in the FWW site's value.

And,shame on you!!!!:)

george wilson
04-10-2015, 9:58 AM
FWW even makes me pay to access that site!! They gave me a free year,and that was that. I really think they could be more generous with those who gave their time and knowledge for free.

I haven't paid to access their site yet! Glad you like it,Dan.

Daniel Rode
04-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Not to get off topic, but the making of the Violin and Harpsichord (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K48FezBoPWg) is my favorite. Plus, no membership fees :)

Prashun Patel
04-10-2015, 10:05 AM
George, I bet they'd waive it for you if you asked the editors.

Daniel Rode
04-10-2015, 10:11 AM
I'd love to have that conversation but there is no contact information for the site. No email, no support form, no phone nor mailing address. I doubt this is accidental. Seems to be a popular trend.

Should I, the customer, need to go to the main PWW site and do research in order to explain that the site is broken?

I bet they'd waive it for you if you asked the editors.

I probably will contact Megan directly, but I'm still beyond disappointed.

george wilson
04-10-2015, 10:45 AM
I think Prashun might have been referring to the FWW site.

Prashun Patel
04-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Sorry, yes, I was referring to George

Simon MacGowen
04-10-2015, 10:58 AM
I
Should I, the customer, need to go to the main PWW site and do research in order to explain that the site is broken.

You shouldn't. In a properly designed and executed website, customers should be able to find the contact info. with ease. But many sites fail at that for many and various reasons. Somehow hurdles are planted, usually not by intention, and we customers need to "find" our ways around them.

I suspect PWW is the front marketing end of these videos and the actual delivery of the materials is done by another unit or department in F&W. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing thing. They don't seem to give enough attention to after-sales service, if there is any at all.

Simon

Prashun Patel
04-10-2015, 11:38 AM
You shouldn't. In a properly designed and executed website, customers should be able to find the contact info. with ease. But many sites fail at that for many and various reasons. Somehow hurdles are planted, usually not by intention, and we customers need to "find" our ways around them.

I suspect PWW is the front marketing end of these videos and the actual delivery of the materials is done by another unit or department in F&W. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing thing. They don't seem to give enough attention to after-sales service, if there is any at all.

Simon

Just as service providers would do well to put themselves in the shoes of the customer, so too would customers do well to put themselves in the shoes of the service providers. More times than not, we providers want to please our customers and provide perfect service. Sometimes we make mistakes and sometimes we get it wrong. As a customer, you don't have the obligation to do ANYTHING but demand you get what you paid for. But as a human, you may decide it's more efficient and proper to give the benefit of the doubt, and to help in a small way highlight or rectify the problem. To each his own.

Megan Fitzpatrick
04-10-2015, 1:18 PM
I am now. Sorry everyone – It _should_ be a lot better than the old site, but clearly, eMedia is still working out some bugs. I'm directing the fellow in charge to this thread – he'll jump right on things. And in case you wish to email him directly: rocky.landsverk@fwcommunity.com. And of course, you can always email me (but note that I'm out of the office today, and checking email only sporadically – so if you don't hear back from me right away, my apologies).
Megan

Simon MacGowen
04-10-2015, 1:26 PM
Just as service providers would do well to put themselves in the shoes of the customer, so too would customers do well to put themselves in the shoes of the service providers. More times than not, we providers want to please our customers and provide perfect service. Sometimes we make mistakes and sometimes we get it wrong. As a customer, you don't have the obligation to do ANYTHING but demand you get what you paid for. But as a human, you may decide it's more efficient and proper to give the benefit of the doubt, and to help in a small way highlight or rectify the problem. To each his own.

Hi Patel,

I can understand where you come from. The issue here with the site has been longstanding and has been raised before by others. It isn't a one-time human mistake as you portrayed it, I am afraid. To ask or expect customers to understand or give the benefit of the doubt may make sense for a Ma and Pa shop, but not for F&W Media. In the corporate and competitive world, that is a symptom of customer service going wrong. Others have already pointed out the FWM as an alternative.

For a customer to make public his grievance means others have experienced the same problem but have chosen to keep quiet. Don't brush off this as a single incident is my advice to F&W.

Simon

Daniel Rode
04-10-2015, 1:52 PM
As Johnny Mnemonic said, I'm a very technical boy. This is largely what I do for a living. So I have a solid understanding of both sides.

I want to see PWW succeed in this area. I want to pay them for what I perceive as valuable content delivered in a convenient way. They have to improve or we'll lose another player in the market and all be poorer for it.

Pedro Reyes
04-10-2015, 5:52 PM
Feedback I have. Before I sued ot be able to mark my "favorite" videos and not have to fish them out from all the videos. This does not seem to be available anymore. Just a note.

John Crawford
04-10-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm not surprised. Old version was buggy, and they could hardly answer complaints, it was really comical. Nothing against PWW, I wish them the best. I got a few promotional mails/emails but I wasn't even tempted.

Daniel Rode
04-10-2015, 10:38 PM
I just went back to the site top see if there were any updates. To their credit, the seem to have addresses the main issues I had. When I logged in there was a pop-up message acknowledging an issue with some of the videos and stating it had been fixed. The Ron Herman videos I tried do appear to be working. In addition, contact information has been added to the FAQ page.

That's a pretty decent and fast response, IMO.