PDA

View Full Version : comparing 8 inch jointers

dale rex
08-05-2005, 9:17 PM
looking to buy an 8 inch jointer soon. Been searching around the different popular brands......i.e. Grizzly(G0586), Yorkcraft,Powermatic and Delta(DJ-20). I seem to gravitate towards the Delta or Powermatic, because they offer the parrallelogram tables.They also cost about $600 -$800 more than the Grizzly and Yorkcraft. I want to get something good and want this to be my final jointer purchase.(i am upgrading from a Bridgewood 6" jointer)Any opinions on my pick? Any Powermatic owners out there? DJ-20 owners?

Andy London
08-05-2005, 9:44 PM
There is a good review in this months American WW, also a good article on spiral cutterheads....The PM was editors choice and the Grizzly received top value.

Jim Young
08-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I have the DJ20 for about 5 years now and am happy with the purchase. My decision was based on the table length and the parallelogram. If I were to buy one today I would pic the powermatic since it has the parallelogram AND a longer table.

Dan Owen
08-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Dale
A couple considerations. Space and weight. I have the DJ-20 and still felt the weight somewhat managable at about 450 lbs in getting it down my basement stairs. I believe the Powermatic is substantially heavier at about 600 lbs if I'm not mistaken. Also, with the outfeed table a little shorter it does feel a little more compact in my basement shop. I know the DJ-20 has had some criticism because of the shorter outfeed table but I find the longer infeed table more significant becuase it supports the board well while I concentrate on applying guidance and pressure to the outfeed table and makes the jointer feel well balanced.

In conclusion, if weight and space are not an issue, I would really consider the Powermatic. I believe it also comes with a 2hp motor compared with 11/2 on the Delta.
In Montana, we are somewhat limited to big power machinery selection on a local basis and the Delta was always more readily available than the Powermatic---an important consideration in terms of warranty service and shipping.

Sincerely
Dan Owen

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-06-2005, 1:08 AM
We used a Grizzly 1018 (?) 8" jointer at the mesquite outfit...the older model with the 'short' tables and lever adjustments. We ran that jointer much harder than even the most seriouos hobbyist ever would, and basically ignored any maintenance other than blade changes. It sat outside on a patio and got 'dewey' probably 227 mornings every year, and since it wasn't really sitting in a 'good' location, we (not me of course!) ran carts in to it, hit it with big lumber as we worked on the mitersaw, hit it with clamps, and used the bed for 'table space' when necessary. In other words...we abused it. And despite being knocked around, for the most part it cut a flat, straight edge...and when it did get out of whack, the typically fix was a simple outfeed table height adjustment. I don't see the parallelogram tables being worth the extra bucks unless you're in a production shop with several different people using the equipment.

KC

Mark Singer
08-06-2005, 1:11 AM
I have the DJ 20 and it is quite a good solid performer!

Roger Everett
08-06-2005, 7:01 AM
I have a DJ20, which I bought 13 years ago. At the time I was desiding between it and the Powermatic. Using the parrallelogram table, I would never go back to a crank wheel again. Although in retrospect, if I had it to do again I would have gotten the Powermatic, I have never been satisfied with the DJ20's fence , holding it's setting , plus as I recall the PM 's fence can be easiely skewed a bit to give a slight shearing cut, for difficult grain.
Roger

One thing I would add is that I feel you should always buy the best in equiptment that you can possibly afford, give it good maintance, and it will serve you for life.

Ken Garlock
08-06-2005, 2:46 PM
Hi Dale. I bought a jointer that was not on your list, a Sunhill (http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/Jointers%20CT204L.htm)

It has the parallelogram tables, and a 72 inch input/output total length. It has a 2 hp import motor. One of the best features is that it sells for under $800.

A jointer is not rocket science, there is not much that can go wrong with only 3 moving parts: motor, belts, and head assembly. Even if the motor dies, for $300 you can get an American made replacement, ans still be hundreds ahead of some of the big brand names.

Something to think about :confused: :)

Matt Woodworth
08-07-2005, 1:43 AM
I have the yorkcraft jointer. It works nicely for me. The beds stay parallel, it has plenty of power, the fence stays vertical, and the DC works well. Having said that, I'd like more cuts per inch (solved by taking the last pass slow) and I wish the fence didn't take so much room.

If I was buying today I think I'd look at the new grizzly real hard. Like a lot of grizzly machines, nothing touches their specs for the money. On more complicated pieces of equipment I worry that something subtle will bite me but for a jointer I'd bet it would be a solid performer.

FWIW, the next time my knives need sharpening I'm going to give a call to shelix. :)

Rick Lizek
08-07-2005, 9:55 AM
Ken, the Sunhill would be considered a dovetailed way type jointer, not a parallogram.

Christopher Stahl
08-07-2005, 10:44 AM
I had the Delta DJ20 and the Grizzly G0500, and decided to keep the Grizzly. The Grizzly has the longer beds, 4 knife cutterhead and 2HP. I believe it's the best deal in 8" jointers. Great machine.

chris

JayStPeter
08-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I'll throw my opinion out. If you want it to be your final jointer purchase, get something bigger.
I have the 8" Grizzly that KC mentioned and find it to be a very nice piece of equipment (and I'm pretty picky). The only thing I'd like is a little more width.
I think the parallelogram jointers are very slick. The DJ20 is clearly a nicer jointer than the Grizzly. I have used a DJ20 at a shop I rented time at. The longer tables are nice (over my "short table" version), but otherwise, I find the function of my Grizzly equal (actually better now with Byrd cutterhead - and still cheaper than a DJ20). For space reasons I even like the shorter tables.

Jay

Michael Adelong
08-07-2005, 3:52 PM
I also have the G1018, and agree that it is a vaer nice machine. For a 3 bladed jointer, it sure makes nice smooth cuts...