PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Pulleys

Benjamin Hall
04-09-2015, 7:50 PM
I am in need of some custom sized pulleys; I have access to a lathe so making the pulley itself is no problem. The one problem I have run into is how to permanently and tightly fit stop collars (or such) to prevent the pulley from turning on the shaft?

Chuck Hart
04-10-2015, 2:30 AM
Obvious ones are a keyed shaft or a set screw through the pulley or a lock nut fitted to the pulley. I am sure you thought of those what are the issues?

Chuck

Jim Ritter
04-13-2015, 7:46 AM
Can you drill a hole in the shaft? If so drill a hole, insert a steel cross pin that then fits in a slot on the pulley. A standard shaft collar slid up against the pulley on the other side locks it all together.
what are you building?
jim

Benjamin Hall
04-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Jim's idea should work just fine for my project.
Thanks.

Myk Rian
04-14-2015, 8:46 PM
There is more to making a pulley than you might be aware of. They are made with plys, and need to be shaped correctly.
I know there are guys on owwm org that have made them.

nelson lasaosa
06-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Rian, I love the pill and laxative statement ... LOL

Mike Cutler
06-09-2015, 9:38 AM
I am in need of some custom sized pulleys; I have access to a lathe so making the pulley itself is no problem. The one problem I have run into is how to permanently and tightly fit stop collars (or such) to prevent the pulley from turning on the shaft?

What is the shaft made of, and how big a pulley do you need to make? How much torque will they see? The bigger ones, used on period specific machinery, are flanged to the shaft on both sides, and it is the flanges that are connected to the shaft, with some type of a mechanical connection. The pulleys are through screwed to the flanges to even the stress on the pulley.
Myk is correct in that a pulley, vice a sheave, is made of plys. Sheaves can be ply, or solid, but the wood would have to be something like Beech, or Lignum Vitae, if solid. Maple and Oak will work, but they will eventually begin to splinter from the weather.

I've built wooden blocks and sheaves for period specific boat rigging.Not quite what you're looking to build, but close.
We have lots of old mills in Ct, so I've seen a lot of these in use, some up close and personal. ;)