PDA

View Full Version : grey board - how to find if it is laser friendly

Graham Taylor
04-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking for supllier of greyboard and white lined grey board and am getting some samples sent to me.

I have asked if the fumes created when burnt are non-toxic when cutt with a laser but the suppliers I have spoken to dont know. Is there a way I can find out (I have asked for the data sheet) or can I assume that it is safe because it is a greyboard which, theoretically, can be burnt by the general public on a bonfire in the back garden?

As usual, thanks for any help and advice in advance

Dan Hintz
04-09-2015, 12:45 PM
I have asked if the fumes created when burnt are non-toxic when cutt with a laser but the suppliers I have spoken to dont know.

This will never be the case as any burning matter will have particulate matter (at a minimum) that is not healthy to breathe (even a forest fire is bad for you). What you really care about is what potential permanent/cumulative damage fumes can do. PVC is a prime example often quoted... the fumes there can do permanent, cumulative damage to your lung tissue.

Give a sample the copper loop burn test (Google it) to determine if it has any chlorides in it. Beyond that, you really need the MSDS for the material if you can't determine its makeup.

All of that said, if you're talking about chipboard, it's not horrible. The glue used isn't a good thing to breathe in at large quantities, but exhausting to the outside world is plenty fine.

Don Corbeil
04-09-2015, 12:51 PM
The glue used isn't a good thing to breathe in at large quantities, but exhausting to the outside world is plenty fine.

Yeah, the neighbors won't care, just blow it their way :eek:

Dave Sheldrake
04-09-2015, 8:45 PM
but exhausting to the outside world is plenty fine.

It causes big problems here brother :( it's considered "industrial waste" and is controlled by the "Clean Air Act" :(

External venting for business use here is pretty much a no no unless the site is rated for it :(

Joe Pelonio
04-09-2015, 9:37 PM
It causes big problems here brother :( it's considered "industrial waste" and is controlled by the "Clean Air Act" :(

External venting for business use here is pretty much a no no unless the site is rated for it :(
Interesting. I had the fire department visit me several times on complaints from neighboring businesses and they checked out the system venting outside and told them to shut their windows. Our complex was retail above, light industrial below on the back side. We cannot burn outdoors, however, and even in the fireplace at times depending on the weather.

Dan Hintz
04-10-2015, 6:29 AM
Yeah, the neighbors won't care, just blow it their way :eek:

No where in there did I suggest blowing it into the neighbor's faces. Common sense should still apply to whatever your exhaust solution is. :rolleyes:

Rich Harman
04-10-2015, 6:48 AM
...or can I assume that it is safe because it is a greyboard which, theoretically, can be burnt by the general public on a bonfire in the back garden?

Around here you cannot burn anything but seasoned firewood (or charcoal) in what they would call a "recreational fire". You can get permits for larger fires where you can burn vegetation but there are no provisions for burning any type of building materials. Burn barrels are illegal.

Don Corbeil
04-10-2015, 10:43 AM
No where in there did I suggest blowing it into the neighbor's faces. Common sense should still apply to whatever your exhaust solution is.

Dan, it was tongue in cheek ;)

Dan Hintz
04-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Dan, it was tongue in cheek ;)

Sorry, Don... touchy morning at work today :-/

Don Corbeil
04-10-2015, 12:29 PM
That's OK, I sometimes find it difficult to express dry humor over a keyboard. :p

Kev Williams
04-10-2015, 2:19 PM
We have an asphalt plant about 3/4 mile from our house. I engrave motorcycle seat leather, bone, ivory and cut romark daily. The tar smells completely trump my laser smells!

And FWIW, in doing a little 'nose testing', I've never been able to smell anything from my lasers once I'm 100' away. No complaints from any neighbors in 13 years...

Dave Sheldrake
04-10-2015, 6:13 PM
Kev,

Graham's in the UK, we have prohibitive pollution laws here with massive fines for infractions :(