PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 Battery Replacement

George Bokros
04-09-2015, 11:12 AM
First let me say that my iPhone is jailbroken so Apple will not work on it.

Has anyone replaced the battery in their iPhone 5? I am under the impression the battery replacement process is much the same as earlier models. I know you need a special screw driver to remove the screws to get the case open and am willing to do so. I have seen that you can use a exacto knife blade with the tip broken off but I am willing to spend the $5 for the screwdriver. I have watched a youtube video on doing the replacement but first hand experience is a better guide as far as I am concerned.

How difficult / dangerous is replacing the battery?

Thanks

Bill Huber
04-09-2015, 11:55 AM
I have not replaced the battery but I did replace the glass on my daughters phone and what a PIA,

I got it done but if it ever happens again I think I will just have it done.

Matt Day
04-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Apple might not work on it, but what about an independent repair place? They have very reasonable prices and quick turnaround.

julian abram
04-09-2015, 3:12 PM
Replaced my 13 yo daughter's iphone 5 glass twice, $100 a trip to Phone Doctors. This was after she lost a 2 month old iphone 5 in the Lijiang River in China. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, no experience changing batteries yet.

Wayne Hendrix
04-09-2015, 3:52 PM
Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQqPm3LmwV4 It looks pretty easy.

I haven't worked on the 5 but it looks similar to the 4. I changed screens and batteries on the 4 and the biggest thing I would recommend is be careful with the screws. There are all sorts of different sizes and lengths, often right next to each other and they are very difficult to tell them apart.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-09-2015, 4:44 PM
I haven't replaced a 5 yet, but I have taken apart several other devices including mac laptops and countless other laptops. While you can make do using other tools, you run the risk of goobering up the screws and making them unusable. I just replaced a 4S battery a few weeks ago and I was very glad I had my tool kit with all those tiny shaped bits. Some of the screws were a bit fragile even with the right screwdrivers.

If you look around ebay, you can find lots of tool kits available for under $10 and they will include all the apple-related tools you need. The only thing I have not purchased are any of the solid plastic pick & pry tools. There is always something available I can use instead.

George Bokros
04-09-2015, 6:17 PM
I found a vendor online that will sell you the battery and the needed tools, provide directions and a link to a video for your specific phone all for <$30.

They the job is easy on the iPhone5 model I have. Once the battery gets worse, I am not getting about 2-3 days on a charge when I used to get a week.

David Ragan
04-11-2015, 5:37 AM
I had on iPhone 4 (I think)--"replaced the battery" (read destroyed the entire phone) according exactly to the YouTube.

Hey, I got a new iPhone 5 out of the deal.

Find one of those Battery Plus places and have them do it.

Dave huber
04-11-2015, 6:39 AM
I've done it twice. Very easy. Take your time. Watch the videos on iFixit and get the little pentalobe screwdriver from them. I used a suction cup from Menards' auto section.
First one took :25
second one took no more than :15.
battery is about $20 online.

Works great.

George Bokros
04-11-2015, 8:11 AM
Find one of those Battery Plus places and have them do it.

Thanks for the tip Dave. There is one not far from me.

Charles P. Wright
04-11-2015, 9:42 AM
I can't speak t how easy it is to do, but I had it done on an 18 month old iPhone 5; and it was well worth it. Not having to worry about the battery going made it feel like a new phone.

Ray klosek
04-11-2015, 9:44 AM
try ifixit.com they have repair videos online