PDA

View Full Version : Here's why I should always keep my chainsaw chains sharp

Brian Kent
04-09-2015, 9:43 AM
My sister send this photo of an olive tree stump to be ground up later today. She was good enough to get two trunk pieces for me, a little over a foot each dimension. I would consider driving an hour if my chains were sharp and ready to use.

Steve Huffman
04-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Oh No! Where did all the wood get hauled off to and do you have any change of recovering any? Don't feel bad, I'm well trained Sawyer, 4 Stihl chainsaws out in the shop including 2 - 24" 460's
and although most my chains are sharp, saws need servicing. When ya come home beat tired from cutting all day, cleaning air filters and bars, sharpening is not a priority, a hot shower is. I'm getting old. :(

Brian Tymchak
04-09-2015, 12:42 PM
In that situation, I'd probably buy a new chain on the way there, assuming of course, there's a store on the way.

Reed Gray
04-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Sharpening is pretty simple, Just push the round file through. Took a bit to get handy with it, but the guys who really know how to do it don't laugh at me any more. Same number of strokes per tooth. Maybe I find it simple because it ties in with my platform sharpening skills...

robo hippy

Charles Wiggins
04-09-2015, 1:04 PM
That's one of the many reasons I always have a spare chain on hand. But then again, if the saw is basically clean and otherwise ready to go, it only takes me 10 minutes to sharpen.

Dennis Nagle
04-09-2015, 1:53 PM
I was a logger in the Mt. Hood forrest and always kept my file in my back pocket. I could file my chain in two minutes. Never let a dull chain get you down!!!

Shawn Pachlhofer
04-09-2015, 2:05 PM
I have at least one extra chain sharp and ready to go for all of my saws...well, except for the POS Poulan saw, but I never use that one anyway.

Len Mullin
04-09-2015, 8:39 PM
As stated by a couple of other members, it only takes a few minutes to resharpen a chain.
Len