PDA

View Full Version : Lead time for Koyamaichi chisels

Brad Swanson
04-09-2015, 9:36 AM
Has anyone else recently ordered Koyamaichi oire nomi chisels and experienced a long lead time? I ordered 5 standard size oire nomi with gumi handles 2 months ago, and word is they are still in the queue for manufacture. I would like to relegate my blue handled Irwins to paint can opening duty soon. Thanks.

ken hatch
04-09-2015, 9:53 AM
The best I can say is they will arrive when they arrive and whenever that is it will have been worth the wait. It's not the same as an Amazon order :).

Sorry the fingers just started typing on their own, I've had some pretty quick turns from Stu, some orders take a few weeks or more. As I understand the process he doesn't always have the item in stock and has to wait for the maker to finish a run before shipping. I just think of it as X-mas happening when it happens and it is a nice surprise package on arrival.

ken

Matthew N. Masail
04-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Yes many items on the TFJ website are not stocked. the way I understand it is that this allows Stuart to offer a full range of options with good prices because he doesn't have to worry about a huge overhead. it comfortably allows him to extend his range of offerings and we all benefit from it. this is especially true when it comes to chisels, they are made to order, so if there happens to be a waiting list at the time you order the wait could be more than ideal, but it's the small price we pay for having such tools available to purchase with many options like gumi handles and such.

BTW, I had a set of 5 Koyomaichi chisels with Gumi handles, the Japanese Gumi is not as attractive as western boxwood, but is incredibly tough. just in case you didn't know.

ian maybury
04-09-2015, 12:41 PM
I ordered a set of Koyamaichi paring chisels to stock spec from Stuart, they took just over a month on the run up to Christmas. My impression is that it's just the way it is - most of his items come by return and he seems on the ball.

It'd be nice if a lead time was quoted at the time of order, but local smaller (finite capacity) makers of almost bespoke stuff may not anyway be in a position to quote reliable lead times so it's perhaps best just to rest easy and be surprised when they do appear. Could be there's a bit of traditional Japanese small business custom and practice involved too - maybe firm lead times are not quoted by makers. Sounds anyway like they may not be too far away.....

Brian Holcombe
04-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Still sounds typical. I received a set last year that took about 10 weeks. I ordered a set a month or two ago and they're still in the queue.

Same with a set of Ouichi carving tools.

I think it's typical for most of the suppliers, I have a set of Tasai on order with Iida and he quoted me 4 months.

Best practice is to order then forget, so it's just like being a kid on christmas morning when they arrive.

Frank Drew
04-10-2015, 12:40 AM
Same with a set of Ouichi carving tools.

That's interesting, Brian; I have a set of their bench chisels from the early 1980s, but I didn't know that they made carving tools.

Brian Holcombe
04-10-2015, 8:11 AM
They're basically very similar to chisels but with a rounded front edge, they aren't curved in the same way as a western set out gouges is.

I've been trying to dabble in the good makers, but have been running out of different types of chisels that I need.

Frank Drew
04-10-2015, 7:27 PM
Shallow gouges (thick, like fingernail lathe gouges), curved cutting edges but with flat bevels? I've got some of those but I'm not sure if mine are Ooichi; Japanese carpenters use them for coping, sort of like Western carpenters would use firmer gouges, but the incannel curved edge allows more precise work, IMO.

Brian Holcombe
04-10-2015, 8:12 PM
Perfect for my purpose, which is roughing out curves.